Fixing the KC Zoo (ongoing)

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Fixing the KC Zoo (ongoing)

Post by rxlexi »

Is there any official confirmation of the $100m aquarium project? I haven't seen or heard anything aside from this thread.

While I certainly welcome the news, and I'm happy to see the zoo continuing to invest in large scale projects, as befits a metro tourism anchor, I have to say I would rather see such a sum invested in the park around the zoo. Swope could be quite spectacular, at least in the immediate vicinity of the zoo/starlight facilities, with that kind of sum invested.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I think I started this aquarium talk because of picking up on a call that turned out to be a poll. They started by asking favorability on Mayor Sly and each of the candidates for his place. They then talked about the aquarium and if I would be in favor, or still be in favor if they were asking for $7 mill from the city. They also wanted opinion on the zoo director.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Zoo is looking at $75 million aquarium to rival Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha. 700k-750k gallon tanks one for warm water one for cold water species. Targeting 2021-2022 opening. $20 million private donations committed, looking for $7 million from city (from the general obligation bond). Rest would be paid from 1/8 cent sales tax they already receive.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... arium.html
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I like the idea of an aquarium but not really sure its the direction the KC Zoo should go in. The Zoo is very spread out and should devote it's funds to infilling it's vacant spaces with new animal species. Since Wistoff has arrived, he's concentrated on rides, playgrounds and food venues and a couple popular animals (penguins and polar bears). That's all good but the zoo has incredibly long walks between it's marquee areas (Africa, Australia, and the central area with the penguins/Polar bears) that could use some exhibits to occupy visitors along the way. There are practically no North/South American species at the zoo (save for the Polar bear) and the zoo is extremely light on Asian species too. An Aquarium is always a nice addition to KC but not really sure it needs to be done at the zoo and I think the zoo has a backlog of things it needs to do more urgently.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Am not a fan of seeing wild animals penned/caged in so not really into zoos unless they are positioned as a research park that allows public access. Would like to see KC Zoo (or any for that matter) focus more on animal research, animal recovery and even saving a species but not add animals for the sake of what's lacking 'on display'.

That said, am indifferent on the aquarium. The Crown Center one is small but frankly I get more out of nature shows on a large screen at home than visiting an aquarium, and I've been to large ones elsewhere. It's nice to see sea life live but a small aquarium that rotates species can accomplish that. And it shouldn't exist for purpose of 'entertainment'.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The city has several hundred million dollars in deferred maintenance for buildings it currently owns. My understanding is this portion of the GO Bond money was approved to help fix ADA problems and address deferred maintenance. How about we use it for that before we build more stuff?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:49 am Am not a fan of seeing wild animals penned/caged in so not really into zoos unless they are positioned as a research park that allows public access. Would like to see KC Zoo (or any for that matter) focus more on animal research, animal recovery and even saving a species but not add animals for the sake of what's lacking 'on display'.

That said, am indifferent on the aquarium. The Crown Center one is small but frankly I get more out of nature shows on a large screen at home than visiting an aquarium, and I've been to large ones elsewhere. It's nice to see sea life live but a small aquarium that rotates species can accomplish that. And it shouldn't exist for purpose of 'entertainment'.
No zoo aquarium is about entertainment.

I think it's the big aquarium in downtown NOLA that has windows where you can see their animal conservation rooms and what's going on.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Highlander wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:33 pm I like the idea of an aquarium but not really sure its the direction the KC Zoo should go in. The Zoo is very spread out and should devote it's funds to infilling it's vacant spaces with new animal species. Since Wistoff has arrived, he's concentrated on rides, playgrounds and food venues and a couple popular animals (penguins and polar bears). That's all good but the zoo has incredibly long walks between it's marquee areas (Africa, Australia, and the central area with the penguins/Polar bears) that could use some exhibits to occupy visitors along the way. There are practically no North/South American species at the zoo (save for the Polar bear) and the zoo is extremely light on Asian species too. An Aquarium is always a nice addition to KC but not really sure it needs to be done at the zoo and I think the zoo has a backlog of things it needs to do more urgently.
For what it is worth, this is being proposed to go between Africa and the Penguins and would fill a gap that has existed since they closed down the old bear caves. I personally am all for this. I don't agree with the city funding this, though. In my opinion, the zoo needs to get on a ballot for Johnson County and offer incentives to residents to get an additional sales tax there. As someone who has a zoo membership, my family has been very impressed with all the recent changes to the zoo. We visit 4-5 times a year and it seems we're always finding something new. In my opinion, if we add an aquarium, we really only need a Panda or Koala exhibit to set ourselves a part from other zoos.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The 2013(?) master plan was clearly all about two things

1. infill
2. year-round

At one point in the closer part of the zoo for indoor options you had the entrance building, the two Australian spaces with snakes, tropics, and the red barn. That's not enough to be a good cold weather value. People would go to Omaha for that.

Now there's the entrance building, polar bears, snake houses, red barn, penguins, sting rays, tropics and cafe. It's now a much more reasonable year-round visit than before.

Add an aquarium and add a new building along the path between the polar bears and australia something like St. Louis' reptile house, Omaha's desert exhibit and/or an exhibit about the Ozarks in the vein of NOLA's swamps exhibit.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Aquarium idea is fine, but funding proposal should be DOA. I can't believe any one on the council would propose it.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

an exhibit about the Ozarks in the vein of NOLA's swamps exhibit
This is a great idea - would love to see something like it implemented.

And while we're dreaming, I so badly wish we could have the Swope Park Boathouse back. It's unfortunate that the big zoo expansion in the 90's sprawled all the way across what was once the heart of the park.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

I'd love to know if the zoo have ever re-polled JoCo about joining the district. Anecdotally, most of the JoCo folks I know have a vastly different view of the zoo than they did when the district was formed. I think it could potentially pass now. Surely that would provide a major funding boost for the zoo?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ I’d guess that JOCO leaders would require funds go to their area too, like for the Deanna Rose Farmstead. They’re petty like that.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:40 pm ^ I’d guess that JOCO leaders would require funds go to their area too, like for the Deanna Rose Farmstead. They’re petty like that.
They have every right to be "pretty like that." Any bi-state tax should benefit both states. As I recall, previous attempts have failed because the plan was to funnel all of the money collected in Kansas into projects that were all in Missouri. It's not like most of the the Missouri side wold have wanted to spend a cent of it on the speedway or the sporting KC stadium unless they were built in Missouri.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

empires228 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:23 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:40 pm ^ I’d guess that JOCO leaders would require funds go to their area too, like for the Deanna Rose Farmstead. They’re petty like that.
They have every right to be "pretty like that." Any bi-state tax should benefit both states. As I recall, previous attempts have failed because the plan was to funnel all of the money collected in Kansas into projects that were all in Missouri. It's not like most of the the Missouri side wold have wanted to spend a cent of it on the speedway or the sporting KC stadium unless they were built in Missouri.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Everybody in the metro benefits from a strong central city and building the cultural infrastructure there. Just about every other city in the nation has its cultural infrastructure in central locations so they can be easily accessed by the entire metro and tourists alike. That is what works.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

empires228 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:23 pm They have every right to be "pretty like that." Any bi-state tax should benefit both states. As I recall, previous attempts have failed because the plan was to funnel all of the money collected in Kansas into projects that were all in Missouri. It's not like most of the the Missouri side wold have wanted to spend a cent of it on the speedway or the sporting KC stadium unless they were built in Missouri.
JOCO doesn’t pay near their fair share in this city, either for cultural amnenities or caring for the less fortunate in our metro. You hear a lot in our society today about an entitlement culture and complaints about having to care for those who need help. It’s 100x worse having to cover those too selfish to pitch in when they have the funds to do it and benefit as much as anyone from the result.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

Highlander wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:54 pm
I wholeheartedly disagree. Everybody in the metro benefits from a strong central city and building the cultural infrastructure there. Just about every other city in the nation has its cultural infrastructure in central locations so they can be easily accessed by the entire metro and tourists alike. That is what works.
And most of those other metros are in one state, and some are even only spread out between 2-3 counties because they're in states where the counties are much larger. They have every right to want a bi-state tax to help them out in their own state from time to time. How would you like it if the MO side was paying for projects exclusively in KCK? The Northland and Lee's Summit residents would throw the same fit at JoCo, and as I really some of the more monied areas on the MO side aren't paying a cent toward the Zoo either, but you rarely hear about that. Let's get back to bashing JoCo when the metro gets cooperation from Cass and Platte County. Most of the time, the city of Kansas City can't even gets its own population to unite on a simple project like a street car line unless they limit the voting to a special population.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

McManus announced they scrapped The GO Bond as a proposed funding source for the aquarium.

Apparently, they will continue look for some other way the city can support the effort.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

I agree, but it seems like the projects they want funding for are projects that would only benefit and/or be used by JoCo residents. I seem to recall one bi-state tax where I think they wanted a soccer park for kids in southern JoCo. I mean if they wanted to fund say the soccer stadium before we had it, I personally would have been for it. But if its for building a new school or kid's sports complex or shopping center in JoCo then I don't equate that request as the same as many of the Missouri projects that clearly are meant for the entire metro area to enjoy.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC Zoo’s new and $10 million improved elephant exhibit to open in May

http://fox4kc.com/2020/02/10/kc-zoos-ne ... en-in-may/