Cactuses and Palms Trees in KC?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Re: Cactuses and Palms Trees in KC?

Post by TrolliKC »

KCghettoboi wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:07 pm
Armadillo sightings are also up in the KC area.
Above from 2005... I saw two armadillo roadkill in KC last summer (around K7 and 47th street in Western Shawnee). Climate change and our refusal to accept it for short sighted political reasons sucks. But according to the new https://www.435mag.com/can-anything-sto ... nsas-city/ article armadillos are still on their way...

"Armadillos are still pressing northward, and they’ve now established themselves in central and southern Missouri. They could be coming for Kansas City next."

I did like the photo though...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I still lay awake at night worrying about those Asian jumping carp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc-e8EGkLMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdcQ56OpxNE
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Scooterj, you posted this 14 years ago:
Finding evergreen forests in eastern Douglas county is one of the ecosystem finds in the KC area that surprised me the most.
. Do you remember where that was? Thanks.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

missingkc wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:06 pm Scooterj, you posted this 14 years ago:
Finding evergreen forests in eastern Douglas county is one of the ecosystem finds in the KC area that surprised me the most.
. Do you remember where that was? Thanks.

Oh, man... and what I was talking about was something I saw several years even before that. If only photos shot on film were geotagged!

All I remember is that it was somewhere south, west, or north of Baldwin City (that's not much help, is it), it was a short hike, and when I crested a hill the entire other side of the hill was all pine trees and rocky crags.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Thanks. This is interesting. I've always lamented the lack of native pines in Kansas and Northern Missouri. Whenever I drive through central Missouri (central north/south) I always look for northern stragglers of shortleaf pines out of the Ozarks. I've seen a few around Columbia that I think qualify.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

staubio wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:53 am That is why I love KC.  Within 30 miles, you have all kinds of terrain and plant life.  You've got forests, rocky desert-like areas, steep hills and bluffs, plains, etc.  Great place to be a lover of the outdoors and almost as many sunny days as Southern California.  KC rules.
Hell of a cherry-picking, that weather factoid.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

missingkc wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:41 pm Thanks. This is interesting. I've always lamented the lack of native pines in Kansas and Northern Missouri. Whenever I drive through central Missouri (central north/south) I always look for northern stragglers of shortleaf pines out of the Ozarks. I've seen a few around Columbia that I think qualify.
we have them all over the west-southwest 1/4 of st. louis county, i love them. you start seeing indigenous stands of them along and around manchester road in west county, where the land starts to really become ozark-y. https://goo.gl/maps/skT3VuuTHaqTtYub9
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i also have successfully overwintered needle palms- rhapidophyllum hystrix and trachycarpus fortunei (windmill palms) in st. louis city/county so it's possible in kc. i think south city is a good half of a zone warmer than university city/stl county or kcmo, my palms seemed to do better down there even without protection and i could overwinter cannas. this past year my palms where heavily protected.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i have also successfully overwintered texas cultivars of agave in st. louis, without winter protection but heavy ozark gravel drainage, while i lost all of my cactus this past winter (spineless prickly pear...not the missouri version).
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

here's a bar/hotel/house in nashville that funnily enough is growing the cactus i lost this winter: https://goo.gl/maps/QX7L7X3aAxjjQbcMA
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Nice. Here in Charlotte, windmills are totally reliable, palmettos will get burned many years but don't die, jellies burn most winters and younger ones may not survive. People used to mulch the stalks of bananas, but I don't see that much anymore. Maybe due to the varieties being planted. The plants I wish we could grow: sago, oleander.