The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

Post by NDTeve »

Overuse the sirens in fear of lawsuits.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I live in KCMO but close enough to the state line to hear the Johnson County sirens, actually usually better than the Jackson county ones.  I've noticed that the sirens go off for any actual tornado anywhere in the county, which is huge.  So if the deepest parts of Olathe get some action, I hear a siren.  This has trained me to hear a siren and check the news to see were the storm is.  That said, I was in the basement of my office yesterday as the sirens were blowing.  The storm went right overhead.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCMax wrote: Yesterday was kinda odd because it was a Wednesday near noon. Usually they test the sirens the first Wed at noon. Had the weather not looked freaky outside, I probably would have thought nothing of the sirens because I figured it was a test.
There is that, and I actually had the same initial reaction, until I realized it wasn't 11 and the sky looked kinda funny.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

When I hear a siren, it tells me to turn on the TV and see what is going on and if it's going to affect me.  I see it as a "heads up."

Perhaps the sirens should have two sounds. One for warning, pay attention, and another for put your head between your ass.  :D
There is no fifth destination.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote: When I hear a siren, it tells me to turn on the TV and see what is going on and if it's going to affect me.  I see it as a "heads up."

Perhaps the sirens should have two sounds. One for warning, pay attention, and another for put your head between your ass.  :D
Good point.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

I live in the Westside and I heard first the sirens from north Johnson County and at that point I turned on the TV but when the sirens went off on Jackson and wind started to pick up my family and I went down to the basement. Life is to precious to risk it by not taking a few minutes and take cover.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

I can't remember, do KCMO sirens have a warbly recorded message after the actual siren? St. Louis City does and it makes me think I'm in some prison camp in Red Dawn.
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by splash »

smh wrote: I've always interpreted them as a reason to stop what I'm doing and search the sky for explanation.
This is more or less what I do.  There's been several times that the sirens have gone off, but it's sunny and calm at my house, so I don't pay them too much attention.  On Wednesday, I was sleeping when the sirens were going off.  They woke me up, I looked out the window, and half decided to go back to sleep.  When they didn't stop, I got up and turned on the tv to see what was going on.  After about 15 minutes, I decided to head to the basement with my laptop so that I could watch the storm trackers.

I realize that it's not that smart to ignore the sirens, but if I went to the basement every time them went off, that's all I'd be doing during tornado season.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Maybe when a tornado has been spotted in an area under threat, the sirens will change to the sound of a loud, screaming 8-year-old girl.  :D
There is no fifth destination.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

This just in...its gets hot in Kansas City in the summer.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Spent some time on vacation with a Marine who had tours in Afgan and Iraq.  This isn't hot.  And carrying around 80 pounds of equipment.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Spent some time on vacation with a Marine who had tours in Afgan and Iraq.  This isn't hot.  And carrying around 80 pounds of equipment.
Sorry, but this IS hot.  Iraq is insanely hot.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Spent some time on vacation with a Marine who had tours in Afgan and Iraq.  This isn't hot.  And carrying around 80 pounds of equipment.
It's supposed to be 124 in Bagdad today - 108 in Kandahar. I'd take 108 and the lower humidity. I would take a pass on the IED's and snipers, though. That's just me.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

WSPanic wrote: It's supposed to be 124 in Bagdad today - 108 in Kandahar. I'd take 108 and the lower humidity. I would take a pass on the IED's and snipers, though. That's just me.
I don't see how they do it.  All the more reason to be proud of our boys and girls abroad.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

There are several internet rumors that Don Harmon (weatherman on Fox 4) has committed suicide. However, Fox 4 isn't confirming anything at this time.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

AllThingsKC wrote:There are several internet rumors that Don Harmon (weatherman on Fox 4) has committed suicide. However, Fox 4 isn't confirming anything at this time.
Someone in my office remarked that he had died, but the only thing I could find on the internet was something from the Pitch that showed a response from Fox 4 asking that people respect his family. If anyone knows more, please pass along.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Fox pretty much confirmed it without his name until all family was informed. Sad.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

kcjak wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:There are several internet rumors that Don Harmon (weatherman on Fox 4) has committed suicide. However, Fox 4 isn't confirming anything at this time.
Someone in my office remarked that he had died, but the only thing I could find on the internet was something from the Pitch that showed a response from Fox 4 asking that people respect his family. If anyone knows more, please pass along.

Yael seems to be confirming suicide. :(

http://voices.kansascity.com/entries/do ... rspective/

One of my co-workers says it happened at the station but I don't know how reliable her source is.