The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

Post by flyingember »

If the city can't plow the streets it should start repaving them skinnier so there's less plowing to do.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

So, 3 days of school closings for 5 inches of snow? I don't care what type of snow or ice mix there is. This was embarrassing for the city among so many other things they are doing an amazing job of.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Over/ under please on when the streets in the city will be cleared. Today after maybe six inches of fresh snow, we have some seriously under-plowed avenues in the middle of downtown
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCUR reported this morning that KC has spent $20 million already on clearing streets this winter - only behind the record $23 million back around 2010 when snow was piled up in the middle of the streets. And in the end it's not like the streets are cleared very well. I understand that for side streets the goal is to get the street passable, rather than clean to the pavement, but come on!
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

What is JoCo doing right? Are they spending more? Different plowing vendors? Someone at City Hall should call Olathe, because somehow KCMO is doing this wrong. Drive between Waldo and Prairie Village today -- the contrast is shocking -- streets completely clear on the Kansas side, to the pavement and side-to-side all the way to the curbs. Many roads on the Missouri side are completely unplowed -- just slushy grooves where cars have been trying to get through. This is all going to freeze again tonight folks.

Don't get me started on sidewalks downtown (while not a city responsibility, the city could certainly raise some easy revenue, ticketing the sidewalk clearing scofflaws)
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCMO has 6400 miles of city roads to deal with - Overland Park has under 2,000. I can't find OPs cost, but KCMO is between $20-$25M.

My guess is that OP spends more money per road mile than KCMO. But, I'm not sure.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCMO is also a lot more spread out than all of the suburbs. JoCo is very compact and in a simple grid making for multiple passes very easy.
I find it shocking from the furthest point north to furthest south is like 50 some miles. Not many major cities are that long. Maybe LA but that's about it
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:48 pm KCMO is also a lot more spread out than all of the suburbs. JoCo is very compact and in a simple grid making for multiple passes very easy.
I find it shocking from the furthest point north to furthest south is like 50 some miles. Not many major cities are that long. Maybe LA but that's about it
Sorry, but that's just not true - 50 miles is about the distance from downtown KCMO to Ottawa. OP may be about half that distance at the furthest N/S points.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kcjak wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:47 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:48 pm KCMO is also a lot more spread out than all of the suburbs. JoCo is very compact and in a simple grid making for multiple passes very easy.
Sorry, but that's just not true - 50 miles is about the distance from downtown KCMO to Ottawa. OP may be about half that distance at the furthest N/S points.
KCMO is ~40 miles long , as the bird flies, per my Google Earth ruler. I have seen some prominent KCMO tweeters use the ~50 mile number before. That appears to be the driving distance.

Downtown Ottowa to KCMO City Hall is almost exactly 50 miles as the bird flies. ~54 mile drive
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Longest I could get was 38 miles. The intersection of Bethel and 92, north of the airport, to Horridge and Cass-Jackson road, just east of Lee's Summit.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I'm talking actual driving miles, not as a bird flies since we are talking about snow plow trucks and the ability to efficiently plow, according to google it takes 46 miles to get between these points, both are in KCMO

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.8398 ... m2!4m1!3e0

Even as a bird flies those 2 spots are about 39 miles away

OP - North to South is about 19 miles long
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:56 pm
I'm talking actual driving miles, not as a bird flies since we are talking about snow plow trucks and the ability to efficiently plow, according to google it takes 46 miles to get between these points, both are in KCMO

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.8398 ... m2!4m1!3e0

Even as a bird flies those 2 spots are about 39 miles away

OP - North to South is about 19 miles long
My bad - thought you were talking OP. Agree that KCMO is very long :)