The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:Anybody keeping up with the Snow-Truthers claiming this snow is manufactured by the government?
People whom I formerly respect are showing up in my Facebook feed believing this snow is the product of chemtrails and conspiracies.
One of them happens to be a local biz owner whom I won't besmirch here but won't be eating at their place anytime soon.
It's just fucking ponderable.
I'm assuming these are the same type of people that deny climate change?

Somehow, humans can create weather patterns but not raise the average temperature.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Meanwhile in Kansas City...

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Apparently you can decide to close city streets if they are too dangerous! Ha!

Feb. 6, 11 a.m. update: 27th Street

Due to the condition of the road and safety concerns, Hallmark's facilities team has decided to close 27th Street between Gilham and McGee (south of the Rice Center parking garage). The F level of the garage may still be accessed via Oak Street.

Even though 27th is a city street, Hallmark has plowed and salted it in the past because it's a low priority for city maintenance crews. However, Hallmark's salt supply is dwindling, and because it will be difficult to get more due to winter storms all over the country, our existing supply must be maintained for use on actual Hallmark property.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:Anybody keeping up with the Snow-Truthers claiming this snow is manufactured by the government?
People whom I formerly respect are showing up in my Facebook feed believing this snow is the product of chemtrails and conspiracies.
One of them happens to be a local biz owner whom I won't besmirch here but won't be eating at their place anytime soon.
Are you terribly surprised about the local biz owner? She has always been fairly crazy with a strange fixation on aliens - but her food is damn good and I will keep going back.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Can we get a hint?
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Ha, I don't wanna talk shit!

Aliens are okay but not fake snow!

"This isn't the snow from when we were kids," etc.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

chaglang wrote:
That's a new one to me. Is it the "the snow turns black when you burn it" or the "the snow won't melt" crowd? (I had to google both of those)
Yes, that's the attitude.
Also- the snow 'smells plasticy' not accounting for the butane in a lighter.
My source comments, ''THE RATIO IS TOO FAR OFF.''

Around the house this has become a catchphrase for any incredulity.
Zorobabel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Zorobabel »

Warmer weather is predicted to arrive by Wednesday. :)
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:Ha, I don't wanna talk shit!
If they're posting stuff on FB I don't really think it's shit-talking to disclose their identity since they're obviously willing to put that stuff out there. I don't care either way, do what you wanna do, just my $0.02.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

A little bit outside KC, but it was 88 here in Manhattan today. We have a low of 32 tomorrow night with a chance of snow.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

longviewmo wrote:A little bit outside KC, but it was 88 here in Manhattan today. We have a low of 32 tomorrow night with a chance of snow.
That's never good. Hope they take the severe aspect out of the forecast.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Funny people are acting all surpised at snow in April today. This happened JUST LAST YEAR PEOPLE. It is no longer surprising.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The snow isn't particularly surprising on its own, but it was around 85 Saturday. Perhaps this tricked people into thinking we were out of the wintry woods.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

mean wrote:The snow isn't particularly surprising on its own, but it was around 85 Saturday. Perhaps this tricked people into thinking we were out of the wintry woods.
You got that right! We switched from heat to air-conditioning last night and replaced warm bed covers with light ones. Nearly froze this morning.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Pretty gnarly looking Wall Cloud very close to the ground over Union Station last night - video on Gary Lezak's FaceBook page. Check it out if you are on FB. Now there's snow in the forecast? WTH is going on there!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote:Pretty gnarly looking Wall Cloud very close to the ground over Union Station last night - video on Gary Lezak's FaceBook page. Check it out if you are on FB. Now there's snow in the forecast? WTH is going on there!
It was snowing at 55th and Benton this morning.
Elrod
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Elrod »

Here in Des Moines yesterday, snowplows were out, there was a towing ban in effect in the morning (if you get stuck, your car stays right where it is until the towing ban is lifted), and I believe we got over an inch of snow, although a lot of it melted later in the day. This morning, there is still snow on grassy areas and the temperature was 25 degrees.

Yay Spring!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Why is basically every school district on the Missouri Side Closed today while every single school district on the Kansas Side is open? Is the plowing that much worse in Missouri or is it that Kansas Side is more dense and doesn't have as many rural roads to deal with?
I'm not even complaining about the snow plowing in KCMO, id honestly rather have cars go slower in my neighborhood
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

More rural areas and more hilly terrain. Places like Lake Lotawana bring down the entire Lee's Summit School District.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

The roads in Jo Co are clear to pavement today. As soon as I crossed State Line Road, I encountered basically unplowed roads -- as in, never plowed, just compacted from traffic into hard ice.

With the exception of Ward Parkway and Southwest Trafficway, the great majority of city thoroughfares are still half-covered in snow and ice. The side streets completely covered. This snowstorm was a major fail by the city.