Kansas City Diversity

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
CGPinFL
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Kansas City Diversity

Post by CGPinFL »

I read an interesting story on Cyburbia's homepage about cities like Detroit and Chicago marketing themselves to the gay and lesbian community to help spur development in inner city neighborhoods. It goes on to talk about areas that were run down and then an influx of gays and lesbians moved in and brought the neighborhoods back to life. Other good examples would be the Soulard neighborhood in Saint Louis and South Beach in Miami.

My question is, what has Kansas City done (or doing) to draw a diverse population to the area? Where does Kansas City stand on issues such as anti-discrimination and hate laws? Domestic Partner Registry?

Thanks,
Charlie
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Kansas City Diversity

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KC is high on hate crimes in my opinion...and watch out for those bible pushing picketers.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Kansas City Diversity

Post by Good2Great »

Read "The Rise of the Creative Class" by Dr. Richard Florida. His studies suggest that any community without homosexuals and rock bands don't have a chance.

It's a decent read with great info, but he drags out the whole tolerance issue a bit. After a while I was like, "Dude, I get it. Stop pounding it into my skull." In short, you have to be tolerant to tolerate his discussion of tolerance.

He's been to KC several times and will likely get more involved as a civic affairs consultant.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Kansas City Diversity

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Good2Great wrote:Read "The Rise of the Creative Class" by Dr. Richard Florida. His studies suggest that any community without homosexuals and rock bands don't have a chance
I'll use a city in a state known for one of the most well-known cases of hate crime, involving Brandon Teena. The Old Market in Omaha and everything surrounding the area is rapidly growing and there's a ton of new development. Then again, the Old Market area is full of homosexuals and rock bands. There's my studies (or observations) to prove him wrong.

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Kansas City Diversity

Post by StL_Dan »

QueSi2Opie wrote:...and watch out for those bible pushing picketers.
I don't think that picketing is hateful. If done in a violent manner such as those cooks from Wichita that threaten physical harm to those entering abortion clinics, then hate exists and those "bible pushing picketers" are not exhibiting tangible fruits of the Spirit - thus their hate reveals their unGodliness. I then take issue with any label they apply to themselves that implies they are a "Christian" organization.

There are much better ways to approach sin and letting the world know the Bible has zero tolerance for the murder of anyone including unborn children.

Threatening violence en masse on a woman entering a clinic is so incredibly wrong, it's shameful and mars God's name and the Christian's true belief system.

I might equate this scenario with the wackos in Al Qaida that say they are doing what they do for their "god". True Muslims deny their tactics as heretical and blashpemus.

I condemn acts of violence under the destructive guise of "Christianity" in the same way.

It's a shame that mainstream, secular society views these shameful, violent acts as mainstream Christian acts.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Kansas City Diversity

Post by KCPowercat »

A couple of my gay friends are very happy with how friendly KC is actually. KC just had a huge midwest gay convention or something where they let them take over all of Barry Allis Plaza and shoot fireworks off that night.

How ironic it was the same day as the Jim Rome tour stop....2 groups that don't really mix well.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Kansas City Diversity

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:A couple of my gay friends are very happy with how friendly KC is actually. KC just had a huge midwest gay convention or something where they let them take over all of Barry Allis Plaza and shoot fireworks off that night.

How ironic it was the same day as the Jim Rome tour stop....2 groups that don't really mix well.
Romey is a pretty tolerant guy by all accounts. He would tow the pc line if confronted with the issue on the air. No way does he risk sounding like a Jimmy the Greek and risk his ratings.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Kansas City Diversity

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I know Rome is cool but some clones aren't....the T.S. was right next door from Barney Allis so there were clones everywhere.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Kansas City Diversity

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:Yeah I know Rome is cool but some clones aren't....the T.S. was right next door from Barney Allis so there were clones everywhere.
Yea....I see what you mean now...those clones are definitely an extreme bunch that love any reason to rip someone a new one.

How did the TS in general treat the BA area? Was the TS orderly, did they clean up their mess, stay respectful to city structures, amenities, etc?
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Kansas City Diversity

Post by QueSi2Opie »

StL_Dan wrote:I don't think that picketing is hateful.
Only when the picket signs say "BILL CLINTON LOVES FAGS", "GOD HATES FAGS", "FAGS WILL BURN IN HELL!", etc. I don't have any problems with the "Pro-Life" stickers...I jus' chuckle because humans are going to breed themselves to extinction.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Kansas City Diversity

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah the tour stop wasn't that dirty....there were beer cans everywhere where people were standing in line but nothing too bad....it was a great time and Top 3 of all Tour Stops.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Kansas City Diversity

Post by StL_Dan »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
StL_Dan wrote:I don't think that picketing is hateful.
Only when the picket signs say "BILL CLINTON LOVES FAGS", "GOD HATES FAGS", "FAGS WILL BURN IN HELL!", etc. I don't have any problems with the "Pro-Life" stickers...I jus' chuckle because humans are going to breed themselves to extinction.
I think I know where you're going with that statement, but would you mind spelling it out? Chances are, I'm not going to be offended cuz I'm "straight".
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Kansas City Diversity

Post by QueSi2Opie »

StL_Dan wrote:I think I know where you're going with that statement, but would you mind spelling it out? Chances are, I'm not going to be offended cuz I'm "straight".
The comment about "Pro-Life" was a seperate statement. The other comment about the picket signs I've seen (during the St.Patrick's Day Parade, in front of JOCO schools during controversial plays, etc.) speaks for itself. Those are words of hate towards people that are different. While there may have been a destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah due to mother nature's earthquakes...to say it was destroyed by God because of sodomy and homosexuality is a myth. I'm sure when the "Big One" finally strikes California and breaks it off into the Pacific Ocean, our ancestors will be readin' about how God destroyed San Francisco because of homosexuality in the Book of Mormons Part Duex.
Don't get me wrong, the Bible, Torah, Koran, etc. are awesome historical documents...but if we're gonna believe half the fairy tales in the Lord's good book, we might as well start followin' Greek, Roman and Indian mythology as well. I stand beside my bestfriend who is Kickapoo Native American and absolutely hates the white man's religion because it was forced down his ancestor's throats with violence. His religion believed in the spirit of all living creatures...not the arrogant Christian religion that believes only humans have a "soul" without truely respecting other living things. The first Christians in America believed Native Americans were souless because they didn't share the same religious beliefs.
BTW, I was raised Catholic...I'm no longer Catholic, but I still believe in one God...creator of all species/organism.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Kansas City Diversity

Post by StL_Dan »

QueSi2Opie wrote:The first Christians in America believed Native Americans were souless because they didn't share the same religious beliefs.
This type of behavior and belief systems is not of Christianity. What the first "Christians" believed about Native Americans being souless is completely inconsistent with what God teaches us in the Bible. God teaches that all men - Jew and Gentile - have the ability to receive salvation as a result of Jesus dying on the cross for our sin.

Indians are Gentiles....thus...they are not excluded from God's saving grace.

What a shame people believe true Christianity to be exclusionary. It's actually the complete opposite - it is all inclusive - open to anyone that confesses Jesus Christ as their personal savior.

QueSi2Opie wrote:BTW, I was raised Catholic...I'm no longer Catholic, but I still believe in one God...creator of all species/organism.
It is one thing to believe "something" exists, yet another to acknowledge the very reality of having a dynamic relationship with that "something" believed in.

For example, I believe in Buddha. I believe Buddha is a religious figure. However, I have no use for a false idol, thus I don't worship Buddha, strive for a personal relationship with Buddha or desire to learn more about how Buddha can be an influence in my life.

So my belief in Buddha means nothing.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Kansas City Diversity

Post by QueSi2Opie »

StL_Dan wrote:What a shame people believe true Christianity to be exclusionary. It's actually the complete opposite - it is all inclusive - open to anyone that confesses Jesus Christ as their personal savior.
Your not goin' to get a Muslim, a Buddist or a Jew to confess Jesus Christ as their personal savior. So I guess we're all goin' to burn in Hell...oh, how thoughtful of Christianity's version of God. I don't except Jesus Christ for anything at all except a historical figure...and possibly a prophet like Mohammed...if he's not a true prophet, he's as looney as the false prophets to follow him. Humans are so easily herded like cattle, history shows this...we're all lookin' for hope and answers. We all have a spirit and there's a God...this I believe.
StL_Dan wrote:It is one thing to believe "something" exists, yet another to acknowledge the very reality of having a dynamic relationship with that "something" believed in.
Long ago those who didn't except Christianity were killed, jailed, or labeled as evil and excluded from society...this was the norm. It was Europeans ability to profit first from the discovery of the Americas...this allowed them to spread their religion. If India would've discovered America first, we'd all be preachin' about Brahman, Purusha or whatever. Because of the wealth of our church, we've been able to spread our religion to Asian and African nations as well. However, everyone is lookin' for answers...that's why there are Americans and Europeans studing and following everything from Islam to Hinduism.

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Kansas City Diversity

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Anyhow, this entire discussion really doesn't belong on these posts. I apologise to everyone for gettin' entirely off the subject and true reason for this message board. Dan, you can email me at Barca24x7@aol.com if you'd like to keep discussin' this interesting subject. Sorry!

DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Kansas City Diversity

Post by DanCa »

Back to the original intent of this post, I lived in Denver's Capitol Hill neighbohood for 3 years. This area is now has a high gay population. As I understand the history, the area was a run down ghetto in the 70's. In the late 70s, a few gay bars went into this area because no one cared. Then gay men started buying and restoring the old run down victorian houses in the area. Soon new businesses started opening as a population with decent incomes continued to move into the area. I lived in one of these old houses that had been converted to apartments. My landlord bought it in the mid 70's for about 60K when he said hearing gun shots was common. Today the house is worth at least 500K and is in a very desireable neighborhood. It's within walking distance of a hospital, restaurants, shops, City Park, a museum and the zoo. I'd say that although a good chunk of the population in this area is gay, you also find a lot of younger "creative types" living in the apartments as well as straght, probably liberal, younger professionals. The key to the area is that there's a lot to do no matter who you are. But it seemed to be gay men, who without children probably have more disposable income, that started the rennovation and turn-around of the area.

In KC, the closest thing to a gay-friendly neighborhood would probably be Hyde Park. But the gay bars and businesses in KC are very spread out and there is no really specific "gay neighborhood".

Many larger cities have these types of neighborhoods that have turned into very desireable areas. Hillcrest in San Diego, Belmont Shores in Long Beach, West Hollywood, Capital Hill in Seattle, etc.. I think the attitude of gay people in KC it isn't a bad place to be, but it also isn't a gay Mecca.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Kansas City Diversity

Post by StL_Dan »

QueSi2Opie wrote:Anyhow, this entire discussion really doesn't belong on these posts. I apologise to everyone for gettin' entirely off the subject and true reason for this message board. Dan, you can email me at Barca24x7@aol.com if you'd like to keep discussin' this interesting subject. Sorry!
Thinking out loud here....the description this section of the Forum entitled "General Kansas City" indicates anything can be discussed in it.

IMO, we are Kansas Citians discussing anything (religion and stuff).

I was hoping there may be other posters with opinions on the matter. I guess there isn't.

But, if you'd rather we discuss it privately via e-mail, I'd be happy to oblige.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Kansas City Diversity

Post by KCPowercat »

feel free to continue the discussion here....as stated, this is "general" stuff

stlouguy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Kansas City Diversity

Post by stlouguy »

All I can say is it's about damn time.......hopefully it passes tomorrow's vote.

City Council committee OK's domestic partner proposal
By LYNN HORSLEY
The Kansas City Star

A Kansas City Council committee gave the go-ahead today to a domestic partner registry and limited benefits for unmarried partners of city employees.

The Finance Committee voted 2-1 to recommend the creation of a domestic partner registry and to offer sick leave and funeral leave benefits to city employees who are in committed homosexual or heterosexual relationships.

Council members Charles Eddy and Alvin Brooks voted in favor of the measures. Councilman Bill Skaggs voted against. Councilman Jim Rowland was absent.

The measures go to the full Council for a vote Thursday.

A large crowd of people filled the City Council chambers today for the debate.

Proponents said the benefits are offered by numerous other progressive cities and corporations and are a matter of basic civil rights.

Opponents, however, argued that the measures will threaten the institution of marriage and erode basic family values. They also warned that the city is trying to legislate relationships -- an area of law that is best left to the state.