KC in TV and Movies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
mykn

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by mykn »

"city of Kansas" - They need to do more research.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

mykn wrote:"city of Kansas" - They need to do more research.
Wonder if it meant to say state of Kansas leading to further confusion that people don't know there is a Kansas City in Missouri
mykn

Post by mykn »

I've heard "City of X" before when referring to cities named after their state, but I've never really heard it before when referring to KC, probably because we're (mostly) in Missouri. To me, it was written by someone that just assumed KC = Kansas.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

mykn wrote:I've heard "City of X" before when referring to cities named after their state, but I've never really heard it before when referring to KC, probably because we're (mostly) in Missouri. To me, it was written by someone that just assumed KC = Kansas.
The correct way to refer to KC by using the city of x convention would be "City of Kansas City", which sounds dumb. City council should refer to itself as Kansas City City Council. The census actual refers to KC as "Kansas City city". The creaters of the show probably did know better and just didn't care, they just did what sounded best. The description of the pilot doesnt matter anyway, the description of the show would be different.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

tower wrote:
mykn wrote:I've heard "City of X" before when referring to cities named after their state, but I've never really heard it before when referring to KC, probably because we're (mostly) in Missouri. To me, it was written by someone that just assumed KC = Kansas.
The correct way to refer to KC by using the city of x convention would be "City of Kansas City", which sounds dumb
That's actually the official corporate name in the city charter.
ARTICLE I. CORPORATE NAME, POWERS AND BOUNDARIES
Sec. 101. Incorporation, Name and Boundaries.
The inhabitants of the City of Kansas City, within the corporate limits as now established or as hereafter established in the manner then provided by law, shall continue to be a municipal body politic and corporate in perpetuity under the name of the City of Kansas City.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Department of Redundancy Department
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

Schools should teach the 50 largest cities, rather than the 50 states. Then we can change our name to "Kansas" and the when residents of Nowhere, Kansas say they are from the state of Kansas, people will say "oh, you must go to the boulevard brewery all the time!" / "How's the streetcar?" / "What's it like living near a river?" etc.
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

KC skyline on W 11th Street in new Sprint Commercial
(@ 12 seconds in)
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dL_h/sprint-unl ... s-birthday
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Queer Eye filming season 3 in KC.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

While walking home from work I came across a large camera crew with plenty of equipment and labeled mic equipment. I'm wondering if their KC HQ will be in the Firestone building where they were all scurrying in and out of. To me at least this building makes sense for it and transporting them from 2 Light down Grand is also very very convenient!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

HBO Mini Series Sharp Objects (From the Author of Gone Girl) is set in Missouri (Filmed in Georgia I believe) - The detective they brought in for the case is from KC
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

Up late tonight (2:10 am) and right now there is a comedy show on Encore Black (Spectrum channel 604) titled "Jasper Redd: Jazz Talk."
It's filmed at The Folly and shows parts of downtown and some local musicians.
It's not very funny but he references KC and BBQ throughout the show.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3041032/
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Saw a promotional ad last night for Spectrum cable's "give back" program, Community Impact. Showed scenes of KC skyline.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

anonkcmo wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:58 pm KC skyline on W 11th Street in new Sprint Commercial
(@ 12 seconds in)
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dL_h/sprint-unl ... s-birthday
This Sprint commercial was filmed in KC too, but it's just my living room :D
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wx3z/sprint-unl ... difference
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:55 am HBO Mini Series Sharp Objects (From the Author of Gone Girl) is set in Missouri (Filmed in Georgia I believe) - The detective they brought in for the case is from KC
The series is based on a novel by Gillian Flynn, who was born in Kansas City. She grew up in Coleman Highlands, and her parents both were professors at Penn Valley Community College.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillian_Flynn
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KC will be the backdrop of the upcoming season of Fargo.
https://www.kmbc.com/article/kansas-cit ... o/22639562
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Kind of an interesting KC-related tidbit from Wikipedia about the sitcom "Cheers"

"Early discussions about the location of the show centered on Barstow, California, then Kansas City, Missouri. They eventually turned to the East Coast and finally Boston."

That would have been interesting - tourists in Wesport to see whatever bar was the setting. . Beats having "Mama's Family" repping the city.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Highlander wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:07 pm Kind of an interesting KC-related tidbit from Wikipedia about the sitcom "Cheers"

"Early discussions about the location of the show centered on Barstow, California, then Kansas City, Missouri. They eventually turned to the East Coast and finally Boston."

That would have been interesting - tourists in Wesport to see whatever bar was the setting. . Beats having "Mama's Family" repping the city.
This post is a slap in the face to Malcolm and Eddie. How dare you sir.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't know for sure, but outside of establishing shots of Kelly's and possibly a few other locales I don't think M&E ever actually did any filming in the city.

Also within the first 40 seconds of the first episode, an unseen tow truck dispatcher advises Eddie of an accident on "35W" which basically turned me off the show forever. What is this, Minneapolis? Dallas? Do ten seconds of "I LOOKED AT A MAP!" research ffs.