KC in TV and Movies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by KCK »

chrizow, their downtown is in better shape than ours, as are their roads. The sheer amount of blight here, or in any midwestern city, just blows them away though. Not trying to insult my hometown, it's just the truth.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

On an unrelated note, I just noticed this for the first time when going back and listening to the soundtrack.  On my last trip to Chicago, I saw the musical "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" at the Drury Lane.  On one of the songs, the character sings "my birth mom lives in Kansas, MO in a trailer, in a park" to which the ensemble sings "tornados!" in response.  Charming.

Yeah, it says "Kansas Moe" without the City.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I think there are people who refer to KC as Kansas with no "city" in the same way that people refer to New York City as New York, or Mexico City as Mexico (in Mexico people will say "i'm going to Mexico" when referring to Mexico city (that or they say "el D.F", which is the acronym for Federal District "Distrito Federal")).  I notice this especially with non-Americans, and spanish speakers. (my two cents)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

^That makes no sense in the case of Kansas City unless you really want to confuse someone.

I saw the movie the Lookout yesterday. Not a bad movie. Let me just say this though, the movie is very obviously not filmed in KC. There were literally feet of snow on the ground and it was around Thanksgiving time, and yes that is possible in KC, but not likely for very long. The other thing that bothered me was they seemed to have mixed up Missouri and Kansas a lot in this movie. The main character, that kid from 3rd Rock supposedly went to school in Kansas, but when he visited his parent's house for Thanksgiving, his parents had Missouri plates on their cars. In one scene they were at an outdoor hockey rink in downtown. I have never seen this, though Crown Center does have a skating rink. I truly doubt it would be abandoned enough in the middle of the day to be able to wield a shotgun around without a lot of people freaking out. There were a lot of references to the city including some girls talking about a Raytown strip club, and various things invented in KC over the time.

Nice movie, but next time at least they could film some overhead shots of our skyline.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

KCK wrote:^That makes no sense in the case of Kansas City unless you really want to confuse someone.
I don't do it, i'm just reporting what i hear.  And it's not all that confusing in the context of a conversation, you can put two and two together pretty easily.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Comic gets an OP yuk

Overland Park’s Kathy Sudeikis has been receiving e-mail messages from friends after her son, Jason Sudeikis, yukked it up last week on NBC’s “Late Night With Conan O’Brien.”

Sudeikis, who joined “Saturday Night Live” in May 2005, talked about the popularity of a sketch about a couple of jerks who don’t seem to care about anything.

Said O’Brien: “I just hate that guy.”

Said Jason Sudeikis, who graduated from Shawnee Mission West: “When I go back home to Kansas, they’re like, ‘Oh, you’re doing Johnson County people — like this hoity-toity area of Overland Park.”

(Said Mom: “He’s pretty naughty.”)

But the comic quickly pointed out that the characters are not based on anyone in particular.

Here's the sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXG1DraA_Ws
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Nehmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Nehmo »

KCK wrote: It sure is KCOKEK.

I was watching CourtTV or something and they have this show where they follow cops around ...KCK, the other in KCMO.
There have been several episodes of Cops and similar shows that feature KC. When I look at the screen, I can tell the city is KC by the piles of garbage near the curbs.
~~|) Nehmo (|~~
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

On the Animal Channel they had some show called K9-5 about working dogs. Anyway they had a tid bit on KSHB 41 and  Gary Lezak with his dog Windy. It was pretty neat. They showed the set which showed the skyline picture in the background pretty well.
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

KCK wrote: Well I am still bored, and they may have used some overhead shots that didn't require the whole crew. Besides I am really interested to find out which KC area high school has a hockey team.
Oak Park, Rockhurst, Blue Valley Northwest, Blue Valley West, Olathe East, Pembroke Hill. Theres also the Kansas City Outlaws High School Hockey club.

www.kchshockey.com
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

DowntownBryan wrote: www.kchshockey.com
So Tulsa, Wichita, Springfield and Springdale are all in metro Kansas City now?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

So on the Simpsons tonight they go to a mall, had to be Banister, still stuck in the 80 but all run down. They go in the discount bookstore where there were like 10 books. "Wisconsin from the Air", "Drink your own blood for Money" and "Kansas City Royals: Champions Forever."

Classic.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

As far as I'm concerned (and this shows my age) getting referenced on the Simpsons is pretty much the pinacle of fame.

Additionally I'd like to note that almost all Native Spanish speakers refer to Kansas City simply as "Kansas".  Given the increasing cultural influence of Latinos in this country generally, and this city in particular, it's only a matter of time until Kansas City is referred to as only "Kansas" in the popular parlance. In your face, Grid.
Last edited by chingon on Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

shinatoo wrote: So on the Simpsons tonight they go to a mall, had to be Banister, still stuck in the 80 but all run down. They go in the discount bookstore where there were like 10 books. "Wisconsin from the Air", "Drink your own blood for Money" and "Kansas City Royals: Champions Forever."

Classic.
Funny, considering the Simpsons is just about the only thing that's sucked harder than the Royals the last few years.  Used to be such a great show, but somewhere around season 9 or 10 it just started a precipitous drop in quality and it never looked back.

Also I'm pretty sure that was a rerun because I think I remember hearing about this (probably on this forum) back when the episode first aired.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

The Simpsons is still on TV? I literally haven't seen that show in about 10 years.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chingon wrote: In your face, Grid.
:D

I don't buy it though.... KC is called "kansas" by so many people outside the spanish speaking world.  It's laziness combined with ignorance....and yea, it's annoying as hell.

Although I can see why Kansans wouldn't care, why should they they?, "KC" is the primary source of positive exposure for the state of KS (even though it's through ignorance of people not knowing the chiefs etc are in MO not KS).  While at the same time through the same ignorance, KCMO's largest source of negativity (other than its crime issues) is from being associated with Kansas and its general ag/oz image or the BS political crap that comes out of the state.

Either way, KCMO is the loser and the name Kansas has a lot to do with the city's very poor or non existant national image.  You don't have to buy that and I don't expect you to.

I'm just telling it like it is.  That's why the KCADC is pushing "KC" so hard.  Like "LA", "DC", "NY", it identifies a city, not a state.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

GRID wrote: :D

I don't buy it though.... KC is called "kansas" by so many people outside the spanish speaking world.  It's laziness combined with ignorance....and yea, it's annoying as hell.

Although I can see why Kansans wouldn't care, why should they they?, "KC" is the primary source of positive exposure for the state of KS (even though it's through ignorance of people not knowing the chiefs etc are in MO not KS).  While at the same time through the same ignorance, KCMO's largest source of negativity (other than its crime issues) is from being associated with Kansas and its general ag/oz image or the BS political crap that comes out of the state.

Either way, KCMO is the loser and the name Kansas has a lot to do with the city's very poor or non existant national image.  You don't have to buy that and I don't expect you to.
The moon is larger than the sun. You don't have to buy that and I don't expect you to.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kcmetro wrote: The moon is larger than the sun. You don't have to buy that and I don't expect you to.
Like I said...
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I'm sure you know it was just a little good-natured ribbing, that's all.
wescoe
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by wescoe »

Kansas has nothing to do with the perceived image of KC.  There is a reason people on the coasts are ignorant about KC.  There is no image.  It's in the middle of NOWHERE.  There is no reason to visit there.  I'm sure the same thing goes for other small midwestern towns like Indy, Nati, etc...

I grew up in KC and when I tell that to people where I live now, they just kinda stare at me like I'm speaking Deutsch
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

yesterday there was something of a COPS marathon on courttv featuring KC, very interesting to say the least.  They had some nice skyline views, and shots of the stadiums at the beginning of the show.  My favorite segment was one where there were like four first degree cousins living in the same house, and two of the cousins were romantically involved (they were the reason the cops came out, since the guy started beating up on his girlfriend/cousin).  there's a lot of weird shit that happens just outside the corner of our eyes... that only COPS can reveal.  I need to watch more COPS.