BBQ - Texas vs KC Style

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

BBQ - Texas vs KC Style

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I thought this was an interesting article but it makes me wonder is KC BBQ pretty non-existent on a global scale (Did it ever reach mainstream globally) and has it been surpassed by Texas BBQ? I feel like Franklin BBQ and all the other BBQ places in Central Texas made BBQ very hip/trendy and all the places popping up in the US are focused on Texas Style. So a place in NYC can charge 30 bucks a pound for Texas Style Brisket.

I got to ask, is Texas BBQ (Mainly Brisket) better than KC BBQ? I feel like KC BBQ does a great job on an overall across the board scale but Texas is hyper focused and maybe they perfected a couple styles that gets all the attention.
Maybe KC focused too much on the sauces and not enough on the smoking/bbq'n of the meats? - KC Masterpiece for example which is shit sauce.

Is Franklin BBQ worth the wait?
Do we have anything like Texas Style BBQ here in KC?

https://firstwefeast.com/features/the-t ... need-sauce
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: BBQ - Texas vs KC Style

Post by earthling »

There isn't really any one signature KC 'style' because KC will smoke anything and makes all kind of sauces/rubs. Burnt Ends though are considered to be a KC thing as well as molasses based sauces but otherwise it's all over the map compared to other BBQ cultures, which tend to be much more focused on a specialty.

The purists in KC avoid sauces. "If you need a sauce, you didn't smoke/rub it right."
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Yeah - burnt ends and maybe molasses based sauces are KC signatures.

As I understand it, Texas doesn't use sauce - and they are morally opposed to burnt ends. I don't think there are any places doing traditional Texas style here.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I thought this was an interesting article but it makes me wonder is KC BBQ pretty non-existent on a global scale (Did it ever reach mainstream globally) and has it been surpassed by Texas BBQ? I feel like Franklin BBQ and all the other BBQ places in Central Texas made BBQ very hip/trendy and all the places popping up in the US are focused on Texas Style. So a place in NYC can charge 30 bucks a pound for Texas Style Brisket.
If you need a big neon sign of an answer to this, take a look at our very own celebrated Joe's KC BBQ, which, when they teamed up with Cordish to open a large new restaurant in the heart of P&L, decided to go with a "Texas roadhouse" theme, and downplay their own branding.

Yes, I think the "texas bbq" story has at this point well supplanted KC, at least on a national level. IMO, we need to take things a couple steps forward with American Royal BBQ (turning into a large public festival), a big year round BBQ Hall of Fame, some new players in the city (like you mentioned Franklin's), etc.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Texans do uses sauces for brisket in some cases, but it's more like a brown gravy.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Texas is better at marketing to the general public. Kansas City rules the competition circuit though. In fact, the Houston Rodeo BBQ Cookoff, the largest in Texas, just signed up as a KCBS event after years of resistance.

Texas BBQ is fantastic at one thing, smoking beef. KC BBQ is great a lot of things with pork probably being at the top of the list. I like the variety.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Is Texas BBQ better than KC BBQ?

IMO, not really. But it is really good. And the pepper-forward, unsweet sauce they lean toward is infinitely better than the cloyingly sweet, diabetes-inducing garbage the folks around here tend to prefer.

Is Franklin worth the wait?

I'm not waiting in line for six hours to have Jacques Pepin make me an elaborate tasting menu of foie gras and truffle shit for free, so the idea of doing so for barbecue I have to pay for is completely insane. No. Nothing is worth waiting in line like that.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Don't mess with KCBBQ.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mean wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:27 am Is Texas BBQ better than KC BBQ?

IMO, not really. But it is really good. And the pepper-forward, unsweet sauce they lean toward is infinitely better than the cloyingly sweet, diabetes-inducing garbage the folks around here tend to prefer.

Is Franklin worth the wait?

I'm not waiting in line for six hours to have Jacques Pepin make me an elaborate tasting menu of foie gras and truffle shit for free, so the idea of doing so for barbecue I have to pay for is completely insane. No. Nothing is worth waiting in line like that.
KC sauces are not necessarily sweet, Bryants is downright thin and spicy. One thing I prefer about KC sauces is the lack of an overwhelming vinegar taste which is the primary ingredient I hate in Texas BBQ. Living in Houston and having family connections in Austin, I get to frequent the Austin - Lockhart Texas bbq scene on a regular basis. It's OK but it's not something I long for. It's different in so many ways - focus on brisket, vinegary sauces, and cafeteria-like setting (where much of the food dries and is served as such - especially in Lockhart ). Although it is not necessarily cheap, Texas bbq lacks the more upscale places like Q39 and Jack Stacks and they do not generally sell sides like french fries and onion rings. While I haven't braved the lines for Franklin's (I have tried it though although hours removed from the restaurant), I've tried all the famous places in Lockhart and surrounding communities known for bbq. I'll take KC any day. There is one place where Texas bbq does exceed KC - the brisket is hardly ever super fatty like you get in KC. I do like that aspect of Texas bbq but since I rarely order brisket (I like pork ribs and the edge there definitely goes to KC), it's not a deal breaker for me.

KC BBQ gets a huge amount of press. I have friends in the UK that send me stuff all the time about KC BBQ that they read about in various travel brochures etc.....
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Not necessarily. I refer specifically to what people around here tend to prefer.

Also, I suppose I should admit that my "Texas BBQ" experience has never included Lockhart nor anywhere not within San Antonio or Austin (Bolner's Market (RIP! Best Texas BBQ experience of my life.), Bill Miller / Rudy's, Salt Lick, etc).