Liquor license conditions banished

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Liquor license conditions banished

Post by DaveKCMO »

For those of you that followed the Tom's Town liquor license debacle closely, you'll be interested to know that Regulated Industries has banished all conditions on licenses due to a pending lawsuit. This is not unique to Crossroads, of course, since conditions are allowed everywhere there is a consent requirement. The original goal of these conditions was to allow applicants to open a regulated business if they couldn't get the required consents through the usual means:

"I'm opening X Tavern. Will you consent -- Yes or no?"

...then it became:

"I'm opening X Tavern if I agree to no dancing, live music, or open windows. Will you consent -- Yes or no?"

Of course, the two most egregious examples were Tom's Town (one red wine, one white wine) and West Bottoms (you must rent parking from me) -- both driven by specific individuals who had convinced other consenters to back them.

IMO the problem with this setup from the beginning was that RI didn't narrow the conditions -- it was literally anything someone could come up with that would get consenters to sign. That brought us to some really bizarre outcomes. Good intentions gone awry.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Liquor license conditions banished

Post by KCPowercat »

So will any details be a part of when neighbors are consenting or will it just be I'm serving booze and no other details?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Are you saying it will just be an up or down vote by neighboring owners on applications? No negotiations allowed? Who is bringing the lawsuit against conditions? A prospective bar owner? Neighbors of a prospective bar owner?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:12 am So will any details be a part of when neighbors are consenting or will it just be I'm serving booze and no other details?
As far as I know it will just be the type of license -- tavern, restaurant, package -- and the serving hours/days.

I suspect the end result will be that some new applicants will simply not be able to open if confronted with unwilling consenters, which was the situation RI was trying to remedy.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

missingkc wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:23 am Are you saying it will just be an up or down vote by neighboring owners on applications? No negotiations allowed? Who is bringing the lawsuit against conditions? A prospective bar owner? Neighbors of a prospective bar owner?
Yes. Conditions were the only item to be negotiated, so that's out the window. I wasn't told who brought the lawsuit, just that the city knows it will lose and decided to be proactive.