Next Mayor 2019

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Post Reply
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by johnmatrix » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:35 am

Huge Miller signs are going up all around the neighborhood which is nice to see

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by normalthings » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:05 pm

40 Day Campaign Finance Reports are out. Justus spent big on consultants from D.C, NYC, and Texas.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 13997
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by FangKC » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:42 pm

Mayoral Candidates Talk Downtown at Neighborhood Forum

https://cityscenekc.com/mayoral-candida ... ood-forum/

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17504
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by DaveKCMO » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:16 pm

FangKC wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:42 pm
Mayoral Candidates Talk Downtown at Neighborhood Forum

https://cityscenekc.com/mayoral-candida ... ood-forum/
Miller refused to say whether he supports or opposes the proposed pre-K sales tax on the April 2 ballot. All of the other candidates freely shared, including those not on the council (Glynn).

I sense a trend here...

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 13997
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by FangKC » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:00 pm

The race at this point is a statistical dead-heat between Justus and Miller (taking into account a poll's margin of error). About 30 percent of those polled aren't supporting anyone among the 8 candidates yet.

I'm surprised Lucas has not garnered more support than the other three council members who are all polling around 7 percent (Lucas, Reed, Taylor, and Wagner), and also, Canady, who is polling at 6 percent.

Once the two top candidates are paired in the general election, Justus pulls further ahead of Miller. Yet 41 percent remained undecided in that poll scenario.

Independent poll shows KC's mayoral race wide open

https://www.kmbc.com/article/independen ... n/26479961

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by normalthings » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:31 pm

Justus is doing a terrific job pulling in cash. In fact, she raised close to the combined Lucas/Miller take in.

If the airport takes off soon, which appears to be the case, I think she will get a boost in the polls. Related, some of the council members who have been against the project or developer have seen their fundraising numbers plummet.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4708
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by beautyfromashes » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:26 pm

FangKC wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:00 pm
I'm surprised Lucas has not garnered more support than the other three council members who are all polling around 7 percent (Lucas, Reed, Taylor, and Wagner), and also, Canady, who is polling at 6 percent.
I wonder if we might see some candidates drop out closer to the election, especially east side candidates if they don’t think any of them will make the cut to two. Reed, Canady and Lucas might throw their support to one candidate, likely Lucas. BTW, Canady should be getting more consideration. I think she’d make a great mayor.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 13997
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by FangKC » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:41 am

I''ll be surprised though if Canady throws her support to Lucas. She gave him a public rebuke on TV in the Council chambers over the Paseo renaming. I can't imagine being that scathing towards another Council member, and then supporting them for Mayor.

I guess anything is possible though.

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by johnmatrix » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:07 am

I'm not surprised Lucas is doing so badly he seems like a milquetoast politician who loves to be in front of the cameras.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17504
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by DaveKCMO » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:11 am

FangKC wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:41 am
I''ll be surprised though if Canady throws her support to Lucas. She gave him a public rebuke on TV in the Council chambers over the Paseo renaming. I can't imagine being that scathing towards another Council member, and then supporting them for Mayor.

I guess anything is possible though.
She's also started going negative on Justus starting last week. I'm told Bill Nigro is advising her.

User avatar
smh
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3240
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by smh » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:42 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:11 am
I'm told Bill Nigro is advising her.
LOL wut

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29445
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by KCPowercat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:56 am

Why does this Miller guy have so many ward parkway billboards?

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by johnmatrix » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 am

KCPowercat wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:56 am
Why does this Miller guy have so many ward parkway billboards?
I'd imagine to help get name ID up in wealthy area would lead to more donations and it's probably an area up for grabs since theres 3 or so candidates who will split the East side vote and i'd imagine Justus will perform well in midtown.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29445
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by KCPowercat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:33 am

I mean I know the purpose of billboards just not sure why he has an apparent stranglehold on the ward parkway old money?

User avatar
smh
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3240
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by smh » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:40 am

KCPowercat wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:33 am
I mean I know the purpose of billboards just not sure why he has an apparent stranglehold on the ward parkway old money?
Same corridor that was full of Hawley billboards last fall.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29445
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by KCPowercat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:45 am

Good point. That's all I need to know about this dude.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by normalthings » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:50 am

KCPowercat wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:45 am
Good point. That's all I need to know about this dude.
Miller is using the same consultant that Graves and Ted Cruz use (Axiom). I had heard they work with Yoder as well but haven’t been able to confirm that.
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by johnmatrix » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 pm

Miller isn't a Republican but if you like tax breaks for the rich and pet projects at the expense of taxpayers Jolie is your girl.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7603
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by flyingember » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:14 pm

johnmatrix wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 pm
Miller isn't a Republican but if you like tax breaks for the rich and pet projects at the expense of taxpayers Jolie is your girl.
When has the council done a tax break for the rich? This is just ignorant.

The city has a flat 1% e-tax citywide. That's the only income tax at the city level.
On property taxes, the city passed a major property assessment (Go Bond) and it affects the rich with property more than renters.

If anything she's been involved with raising taxes on the rich.

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by johnmatrix » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:18 pm

flyingember wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:14 pm
johnmatrix wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 pm
Miller isn't a Republican but if you like tax breaks for the rich and pet projects at the expense of taxpayers Jolie is your girl.
When has the council done a tax break for the rich? This is just ignorant.

The city has a flat 1% e-tax citywide. That's the only income tax at the city level.
On property taxes, the city passed a major property assessment (Go Bond) and it affects the rich with property more than renters.

If anything she's been involved with raising taxes on the rich.
Ah someone with their hand in the sand you must be related to Sly James.

https://showmeinstitute.org/sites/defau ... web2_0.pdf

https://www.goodjobsfirst.org/kansas-ci ... -districts

https://www.kcur.org/post/new-kansas-ci ... t#stream/0

Post Reply