Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by johnmatrix »

Huge Miller signs are going up all around the neighborhood which is nice to see
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

40 Day Campaign Finance Reports are out. Justus spent big on consultants from D.C, NYC, and Texas.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Mayoral Candidates Talk Downtown at Neighborhood Forum

https://cityscenekc.com/mayoral-candida ... ood-forum/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:42 pm Mayoral Candidates Talk Downtown at Neighborhood Forum

https://cityscenekc.com/mayoral-candida ... ood-forum/
Miller refused to say whether he supports or opposes the proposed pre-K sales tax on the April 2 ballot. All of the other candidates freely shared, including those not on the council (Glynn).

I sense a trend here...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The race at this point is a statistical dead-heat between Justus and Miller (taking into account a poll's margin of error). About 30 percent of those polled aren't supporting anyone among the 8 candidates yet.

I'm surprised Lucas has not garnered more support than the other three council members who are all polling around 7 percent (Lucas, Reed, Taylor, and Wagner), and also, Canady, who is polling at 6 percent.

Once the two top candidates are paired in the general election, Justus pulls further ahead of Miller. Yet 41 percent remained undecided in that poll scenario.

Independent poll shows KC's mayoral race wide open

https://www.kmbc.com/article/independen ... n/26479961
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Justus is doing a terrific job pulling in cash. In fact, she raised close to the combined Lucas/Miller take in.

If the airport takes off soon, which appears to be the case, I think she will get a boost in the polls. Related, some of the council members who have been against the project or developer have seen their fundraising numbers plummet.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

FangKC wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:00 pm I'm surprised Lucas has not garnered more support than the other three council members who are all polling around 7 percent (Lucas, Reed, Taylor, and Wagner), and also, Canady, who is polling at 6 percent.
I wonder if we might see some candidates drop out closer to the election, especially east side candidates if they don’t think any of them will make the cut to two. Reed, Canady and Lucas might throw their support to one candidate, likely Lucas. BTW, Canady should be getting more consideration. I think she’d make a great mayor.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I''ll be surprised though if Canady throws her support to Lucas. She gave him a public rebuke on TV in the Council chambers over the Paseo renaming. I can't imagine being that scathing towards another Council member, and then supporting them for Mayor.

I guess anything is possible though.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

I'm not surprised Lucas is doing so badly he seems like a milquetoast politician who loves to be in front of the cameras.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:41 am I''ll be surprised though if Canady throws her support to Lucas. She gave him a public rebuke on TV in the Council chambers over the Paseo renaming. I can't imagine being that scathing towards another Council member, and then supporting them for Mayor.

I guess anything is possible though.
She's also started going negative on Justus starting last week. I'm told Bill Nigro is advising her.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:11 am I'm told Bill Nigro is advising her.
LOL wut
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Why does this Miller guy have so many ward parkway billboards?
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:56 am Why does this Miller guy have so many ward parkway billboards?
I'd imagine to help get name ID up in wealthy area would lead to more donations and it's probably an area up for grabs since theres 3 or so candidates who will split the East side vote and i'd imagine Justus will perform well in midtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean I know the purpose of billboards just not sure why he has an apparent stranglehold on the ward parkway old money?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:33 am I mean I know the purpose of billboards just not sure why he has an apparent stranglehold on the ward parkway old money?
Same corridor that was full of Hawley billboards last fall.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Good point. That's all I need to know about this dude.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:45 am Good point. That's all I need to know about this dude.
Miller is using the same consultant that Graves and Ted Cruz use (Axiom). I had heard they work with Yoder as well but haven’t been able to confirm that.
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

Miller isn't a Republican but if you like tax breaks for the rich and pet projects at the expense of taxpayers Jolie is your girl.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

johnmatrix wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 pm Miller isn't a Republican but if you like tax breaks for the rich and pet projects at the expense of taxpayers Jolie is your girl.
When has the council done a tax break for the rich? This is just ignorant.

The city has a flat 1% e-tax citywide. That's the only income tax at the city level.
On property taxes, the city passed a major property assessment (Go Bond) and it affects the rich with property more than renters.

If anything she's been involved with raising taxes on the rich.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

flyingember wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:14 pm
johnmatrix wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 pm Miller isn't a Republican but if you like tax breaks for the rich and pet projects at the expense of taxpayers Jolie is your girl.
When has the council done a tax break for the rich? This is just ignorant.

The city has a flat 1% e-tax citywide. That's the only income tax at the city level.
On property taxes, the city passed a major property assessment (Go Bond) and it affects the rich with property more than renters.

If anything she's been involved with raising taxes on the rich.
Ah someone with their hand in the sand you must be related to Sly James.

https://showmeinstitute.org/sites/defau ... web2_0.pdf

https://www.goodjobsfirst.org/kansas-ci ... -districts

https://www.kcur.org/post/new-kansas-ci ... t#stream/0