Jackson County Charter Changes

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Jackson County Charter Changes

Post by DaveKCMO »

Seven charter changes on the November ballot. Here's a primer: http://www.examiner.net/news/20181025/s ... -on-ballot
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Jackson County Charter Changes

Post by WSPanic »

Having people vote on salaries for public officials seems like a bad idea. And, on principle, I'm likely to vote against any term limits.

Is this all Mike Sanders' fault that we have to deal with this now?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

What's your logic for voting against term limits?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:56 pm What's your logic for voting against term limits?
1. We have elections.
2. I don't think term limits are particularly effective at rooting out the evil they claim.
3. We risk the possibility of limiting extremely talented legislators from becoming even better.

I don't think they're inherently evil - and I get reasoning behind them. I just don't think the expected benefits are worth the constraints they put on the electorate.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WSPanic wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:20 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:56 pm What's your logic for voting against term limits?
1. We have elections.
2. I don't think term limits are particularly effective at rooting out the evil they claim.
3. We risk the possibility of limiting extremely talented legislators from becoming even better.

I don't think they're inherently evil - and I get reasoning behind them. I just don't think the expected benefits are worth the constraints they put on the electorate.
I think I’d agree if our campaign finance system wasn’t such a mess. Being an incumbent doesn’t just bring the power of name recognition, it brings the ability to overpower any challenger with a warchest of cash. So, even though a challenger might be the better candidate, they find it impossible to overcome years of stacked wealth. Term limits are a partial check on that negative part of our system.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I agree with WS on term limits. If you suck you should get voted out, if you are awesome we should hate to see you go. Campaign finance is the real issue.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Term limits create lobbyist power. See MO legislature.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I agree campaign finance and incumbency are challenges to the system we have. But, as far as a solutions go, I don't see term limits as some panacea. I look at the Mayor's office here in KC or the Presidency and don't see how term limits there have really improved those that much.