Interstate 70 KC to St Louis

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Interstate 70 KC to St Louis

Post by FangKC »

KMBC Channel 9 just reported that construction will begin soon on repairs to the I-70 bridge near Rocheport, Missouri. They said to expect backups from 3 to 8 hours. MDOT blamed voters not passing the gas tax in November to fund a new bridge.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

FangKC wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:15 pm KMBC Channel 9 just reported that construction will begin soon on repairs to the I-70 bridge near Rocheport, Missouri. They said to expect backups from 3 to 8 hours. MDOT blamed voters not passing the gas tax in November to fund a new bridge.
on one hand it's going to be good to see something so visceral come out of that failing, so that people can actually experience the consequences. on the other hand, KC may not be on my to-visit list for a year or two.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

warwickland wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:51 am
FangKC wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:15 pm KMBC Channel 9 just reported that construction will begin soon on repairs to the I-70 bridge near Rocheport, Missouri. They said to expect backups from 3 to 8 hours. MDOT blamed voters not passing the gas tax in November to fund a new bridge.
on one hand it's going to be good to see something so visceral come out of that failing, so that people can actually experience the consequences. on the other hand, KC may not be on my to-visit list for a year or two.
I'll be going through Jeff City, as I'm sure many will, and that should make the added hour at least two. Probably will have a packed train also.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Isn't this not until 2020 at the earliest? I can't find anything on MODOT's side referencing a start date any sooner.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

scooterj wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:19 am
Isn't this not until 2020 at the earliest? I can't find anything on MODOT's side referencing a start date any sooner.
That's a relief. They Hyperloop should be done by then.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Their times are always exaggerations. I would count on delays of 5-10 minutes.

They said "backups of 3-8 hours" not what impact they would have.

The basics of induced demand says that if the backups are horrible people will find alternatives and not use I-70.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

flyingember wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:15 pm Their times are always exaggerations. I would count on delays of 5-10 minutes.

True. I remember them talking about 75 minute delays for work around 470 & 40 late last summer and I don't think the actual delays even exceeded ~5 minutes.