Kansas City's Twin is Nashville says analysis

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Kansas City's Twin is Nashville says analysis

Post by FangKC »

Nashville is most like Kansas City says analysis.

What Is Your City’s Twin?

Metros most similar to Kansas City, Mo.

1. Nashville 82

Some metros show up often as being similar to others. Kansas City, Mo., for instance, comes closest to being not just the Albuquerque of the Midwest, but also the Cape Coral of the Midwest, the Fresno of the Midwest, the New Haven of the Midwest, and more. Its mix of job postings looks most like the United States over all, with relatively few job titles either over-represented or under-represented.

After Kansas City, the places most like the nation over all are Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago and St. Louis.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -twin.html
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Kansas City's Twin is Nashville says analysis

Post by chingon »

Fake fucking news. Nashville is positively awful.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

chingon wrote:Fake fucking news. Nashville is positively awful.
Is it really that bad? I don't know much about the city, genuinely curious.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Census estimates the Nashville metro statistical area added 36,337 people during the one-year stretch that ended July 1, 2016, meaning the region grew by an average of 100 people a day over those 12 months.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Nashville is the Overland Park/Plano of Tennessee.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i don't know why i'm defending nashville but it's not THAT bad, you just need to know where to go (although the entire place is becoming swamped by basic bros from ohio REALLY into CRAFT BREWS and the sirius satellite radio alt nation station). admittedly, it looked much better during the deep recession but at this point i vastly prefer atlanta and nashville has peaked in it's appeal (to me).

still, it's sort of nice having a place like that for an impromptu weekend trip.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Forgive me, in advance, for a buzzfeed link, but I find this to be the single most accurate description of current Nashville culture ever committed to print. Except the part where it talks about how Nashville used to be interesting in any way.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/annehelenpeter ... .drgWlKmxg
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

chingon wrote:Forgive me, in advance, for a buzzfeed link, but I find this to be the single most accurate description of current Nashville culture ever committed to print. Except the part where it talks about how Nashville used to be interesting in any way.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/annehelenpeter ... .drgWlKmxg
Pretty much everything I hate about gentrification: white-washed, watered down mediocrity for the suburban hordes.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:Nashville is the Overland Park/Plano of Tennessee.
Not even close. I don't think Nashville has a lot on KC "yet", but that city is very likely to make a run at becoming more like a Denver or Minneapolis or Charlotte over the next 15-20 years. Basically, it will probably blow past KC and become much more urban and built up in the process with a large light rail system, a much larger downtown etc. Nashville is a very different city than it was 10-15 years ago and they have the corporate backing and citizen support to get some pretty major things done that KC has problems with. The entire metro area of Nashville is very focused on Downtown, especially the business community. KC is still a very fragmented metro area pulling in 20 different directions.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

GRID wrote:
Not even close. I don't think Nashville has a lot on KC "yet", but that city is very likely to make a run at becoming more like a Denver or Minneapolis or Charlotte over the next 15-20 years. Basically, it will probably blow past KC and become much more urban and built up in the process with a large light rail system, a much larger downtown etc. Nashville is a very different city than it was 10-15 years ago and they have the corporate backing and citizen support to get some pretty major things done that KC has problems with. The entire metro area of Nashville is very focused on Downtown, especially the business community. KC is still a very fragmented metro area pulling in 20 different directions.
Seems likely, except maybe the large light rail system part. I sincerely hope Nashville passes their plan and build some light rail, but I have my doubt it will be anywhere near as large as proposed or that it will be built out in anything like 20 years. And maybe Nashville will mature. Denver, while not particularly compelling to me, certainly has. Minneapolis has always been a gem. Charlotte couldn’t interest me less. The central difference between how you and I feel about this, as you know, is that I don’t conceptualize KC’s progress or struggles as a contest with Nashville or Charlotte. If the city becomes measurably better as a place to live while I live here, which I hope will be the rest of my life, I’m good with it. It’s already pretty wonderful in most the ways that matter to me.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

^ I happen to be in Charlotte this week, and I have to say that it is much more interesting than I expected, although they have a long way to go.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chingon wrote:
GRID wrote:
Seems likely, except maybe the large light rail system part. I sincerely hope Nashville passes their plan and build some light rail, but I have my doubt it will be anywhere near as large as proposed or that it will be built out in anything like 20 years. And maybe Nashville will mature. Denver, while not particularly compelling to me, certainly has. Minneapolis has always been a gem. Charlotte couldn’t interest me less. The central difference between how you and I feel about this, as you know, is that I don’t conceptualize KC’s progress or struggles as a contest with Nashville or Charlotte. If the city becomes measurably better as a place to live while I live here, which I hope will be the rest of my life, I’m good with it. It’s already pretty wonderful in most the ways that matter to me.
Whether you like Charlotte (or Nasvhille/Denver etc) or not was not my point. Charlotte has passed KC in economic importance and population and Nashville is very likely to to do the same and it doesn't matter if Nashville builds 15 miles of light rail or 50 miles of light rail, they will probably have an extensive light rail system in the near future as they join other cities like Denver and transform into a different type of city. Nashville along with Austin and others will soon pass KC and KC will eventually drop to below a top 30 market.

I like KC too, but it's still having problems keeping up with most major metros outside the rust belt and I still blame much of it on the lack of the metro area's ability to focus on downtown and build regional infrastructure. The state line in KC will forever be the biggest obstacle keeping the metro from truly competing with other major metros and KC still has not leaned that from places like Denver and MSP and now places like Nashville and Charlotte. KC still spends more time competing within its own metro boundaries. Moving companies from one suburban office park to another using incentives is not economic development.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

From other thread about Nashville not passing light rail, would expect they continue growth pattern higher than KC, and likely Indy and Columbus as there are several things they have KC doesn't...

- Large or high profile university
- State capitol
- Attraction from nearby suffering areas (rust belt), Chicago exodus or escape from the insanity of the State of Atlanta
- Nashville should continue to grow most with milder winter, natural beauty and music industry/media attention. Next Austin for better/worse.

Check out Nashville's domestic and international migration..
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/popu ... klin%2C_TN

Compared to KC...
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/popu ... y%2C_MO-KS

Can see Indy/Columbus to right of graph. Indy is comparable to KC in growth today but the points above could give them an edge longer term (Purdue is further away like KU but higher profile). The only thing KC can capitalize on of those is building up reputation of UMKC/KU. KC should be focusing on building up UMKC reputation as a top 3 priority (along with crime problem) now that new airport is happening, downtown has decent momentum and transit improvements heading in right direction.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The barely-influential Civic Council just hired a former Nashville Chamber guy: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -hill.html

The Nashville Chamber was a major voice of support for their transit plan.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:The barely-influential Civic Council just hired a former Nashville Chamber guy: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -hill.html

The Nashville Chamber was a major voice of support for their transit plan.
The Civic Council is a collection of swindling, full-of-shit assholes, headed up by a straight-up fucking liar. Hope the new guy isn’t.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i forgot about this thread, the nashvegas transit vote of course failed:

transitfornashville.com

nashville really needed this.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Going way back to the OP, I have to say calling Kansas City “the Cape Coral of the Midwest” is a horrifying insult and not accurate in the slightest. Cape Coral is a desolate wasteland of swampy canals, retired Germans and grow houses.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Sani wrote:Going way back to the OP, I have to say calling Kansas City “the Cape Coral of the Midwest” is a horrifying insult and not accurate in the slightest. Cape Coral is a desolate wasteland of swampy canals, retired Germans and grow houses.
I looked at the town and I can't imagine the mosquitos.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Disclaimer: This post is for information only. I'm not trying to say Nashville is a better city than KC. I honestly much prefer KC over Nashville for a variety of reasons. However as a person that follows urban development nationally, It's pretty amazing to see what is happening in Nashville and wonder if KC will ever get even a fraction of this type of intense development. While I realize that metro Nashville voted down their multi billion dollar regional transit system, there is pretty much no way that city does not have some sort of light rail starter line in place and at least one expansion in the works in the next ten years. It's just growing too fast and the core is getting built up too much. Traffic there is getting pretty bad.

So having said that, here are a few pics of downtown. From what I have read and seen in person, I actually think there is more going on outside of downtown. The entire midtown area of Nashville is booming with new mid and high rises. Nashville's skyline is already starting to resemble Denver in size.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Booming Nashville Skyline Offers Lessons for Downtown Kansas City

https://cityscenekc.com/sponsored-post- ... nsas-city/