Black leaders seek to rename Paseo to MLK Blvd

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Black leaders seek to rename Paseo to MLK Blvd

Post by FangKC »

KC black leaders to start petition drive to rename The Paseo for Martin Luther King Jr.
As the 50th anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. approaches, black religious and political leaders in Kansas City are turning to the ballot box in an effort to rename The Paseo in honor of the civil rights leader.

The local head of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) said Friday it will lead a drive to gather signatures to place the issue on the August ballot and rename the thoroughfare Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. The drive is in reaction to a recent decision by the Kansas City Parks and Recreation Board to oppose the change.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/article207485409.html
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Black leaders seek to rename Paseo to MLK Blvd

Post by kcjak »

I'd rather see Prospect be renamed - there's such a stigma with it (and Troost) being a dividing line, a name change would be a great opportunity to rebrand. And wasn't Prospect the epicenter of the '68 riots that happened around the time of King's murder?
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Why aim so low? Change Ward Parkway to MLK Parkway to make a serious statement!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’d prefer that MLK get one of our best streets. So many MLK streets around the country have a negative stereotype because they are usually in poorer areas with more crime. Also, make this a connection between black and white. Use the name for an E-W road similar to Emmanuel Cleaver. 63rd St? 75th?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:I’d prefer that MLK get one of our best streets. So many MLK streets around the country have a negative stereotype because they are usually in poorer areas with more crime. Also, make this a connection between black and white. Use the name for an E-W road similar to Emmanuel Cleaver. 63rd St? 75th?
27th. Connect the Liberty Memorial to the east side

The symbolism would be appropriate
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

kcjak wrote:I'd rather see Prospect be renamed - there's such a stigma with it (and Troost) being a dividing line, a name change would be a great opportunity to rebrand. And wasn't Prospect the epicenter of the '68 riots that happened around the time of King's murder?
I really think Paseo makes the most sense for the name change because it has a definitive stop and end all within KCMO. Prospect goes all the way down to Belton and even into Cleveland Mo and it also extends up in the northland. Yes you could just rename a small section of Prospect from say 10th to 80th but people might be offended that more sections are not included and The Paseo name itself doesn't have really any historical ties in this area.
flyingember wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:I’d prefer that MLK get one of our best streets. So many MLK streets around the country have a negative stereotype because they are usually in poorer areas with more crime. Also, make this a connection between black and white. Use the name for an E-W road similar to Emmanuel Cleaver. 63rd St? 75th?
27th. Connect the Liberty Memorial to the east side

The symbolism would be appropriate
27th Street really would be a great one but its a fairly low density street. 31st might be a good one.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

This, but why not Main Street from 6th to Brookside Blvd. The stigma from other cities is an issue and since Main is already on the rise we could change that stigma in KC.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Paseo has had that name for over a century. It is the showpiece of all KC boulevards even if the neighborhood is in decline. Since Paseo has a meaning of "walk" and Dr King led many marches, keep the name of Paseo but call it the MLK Paseo, or Martin Luther King Paseo. Its no more of a mouthful than the name of the Atlanta airport.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

On reddit someone suggested renaming JC Nichols parkway instead. Thought that was interesting
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Paseo de King Jr.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

TheLastGentleman wrote:On reddit someone suggested renaming JC Nichols parkway instead. Thought that was interesting
I was about to comment in support of 31st or maybe 18th, but this idea is brilliant.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Best idea. Or how about Nichols Rd through center of Plaza.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Since they're now collecting signatures for Paseo (and CM Reed's Prospect suggestion was rebuffed), I doubt they're open to suggestions.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Unfortunately, it’s a road I never use. Paseo became a bit pointless after 71 was built a few blocks away.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Paseo is good for cyclists.

What will become of West Paseo? Will it be West MLK? Can it be The Paseo now? Or will it just fail to have any context?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'd prefer to keep The Paseo as is. It's the very first real boulevard in the city, and has a historic tie to the creation of our parks and boulevard system.

I also thought of Blue Parkway.

I wonder if a street should be selected that also exists in the northland, so the named street continues there. North Oak? Indiana? Brighton?

Another idea would be to name an Interstate segment. For example I-70 from I-435 by the stadiums to the state line, or even to I-435 in Kansas. That way it would bridge both KCMO and KCKS. MLK Expressway.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Not to be cold on the subject, but did MLK ever visit KC? He is a huge and important historic figure, but can't we promote the name of local civil rights figures that were important to our local history? I feel like we are playing copy-cat to every other metro in the U.S....and way late, I might add. What is the over-arching goal for this change? Is it to remember MLK? Is it to remember the civil rights movement? Is it to foster better race relations? The whats and whys of this decision should be communicated for us to get behind a proposal.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

AlbertHammond wrote:Not to be cold on the subject, but did MLK ever visit KC? He is a huge and important historic figure, but can't we promote the name of local civil rights figures that were important to our local history? I feel like we are playing copy-cat to every other metro in the U.S....and way late, I might add. What is the over-arching goal for this change? Is it to remember MLK? Is it to remember the civil rights movement? Is it to foster better race relations? The whats and whys of this decision should be communicated for us to get behind a proposal.
If I were to guess, it is driven by the African American community's desire to live in a city that recognizes Dr. King's contributions to the country and their struggle for equality. The fact that KC is one of the largest metros in the country that has no MLK Blvd is a clear signal to them that the city has no shits to give when it comes to racial equality. But that's just a guess. If enough people that actually live near The Paseo want this, I see no reason why the city should stand in the way.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Maybe, we could kick off a Barack Obama Blvd trend. First official black President deserves the honor.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

beautyfromashes wrote:Maybe, we could kick off a Barack Obama Blvd trend. First official black President deserves the honor.
I like that.