Housing Prices

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Housing Prices

Post by SWFan »

We've been casually looking at houses in JoCo the last two years since I took a job in Corporate Woods. But I just couldn't get excited because everything seemed a lot more expensive than I was used to living in the Northland.

Sure enough, it wasn't just my imagination.

http://fox4kc.com/2018/03/07/johnson-co ... tax-bills/

The $320K value versus $220K value is about spot on as to what I've seen. Our particular house could sell for about $255K. When searching for similar results in JoCo we'd find prices that were about $80K to $100K more expensive. Those that weren't were usually homes that hadn't had any updates in 30+ years.

Unless fuel costs jump significantly in the next 8 years we decided to stay put. It would take me 50+ years of commuting to Corp Woods at current fuel costs to make back up the $80K extra I'd spend on a JoCo house.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Housing Prices

Post by rxlexi »

I mean you wouldn't really want to leave God's Country for JoCo anyway, amiright :D Good call I say.

My brother commutes from Briarcliff to Honeywell NNSA daily, 24 miles each way, so you're not alone. A big chunk of his commute time is river crossing and traffic around the downtown loop. A new Broadway bridge with direct connection to I35 may be a major help here going forward.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

rxlexi wrote:I mean you wouldn't really want to leave God's Country for JoCo anyway, amiright :D Good call I say.

My brother commutes from Briarcliff to Honeywell NNSA daily, 24 miles each way, so you're not alone. A big chunk of his commute time is river crossing and traffic around the downtown loop. A new Broadway bridge with direct connection to I35 may be a major help here going forward.
It all depends on the time you leave. Every 10 minutes later slows down that drive by about two minutes.

It's not the river crossing that's the slowdown, it's the 71/70 side of the loop. Everyone slows down to change sides of the road here and it backs up three places as a result.
Then the second slowdown is the lights on 71, as expected. I find it can be as quick to cross on the HOA bridge and take Oak towards midtown as to take 35 and bypass north of 22nd at times.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

rxlexi wrote:I mean you wouldn't really want to leave God's Country for JoCo anyway, amiright :D Good call I say.

We live about a mile from I-435 and Shoal Creek Parkway, so I take I-435 down, through the Triangle and over. I usually leave around 6:30am and most days that means my drive is right at 30 mins. Evenings are the worst though. Backups start happening at 3pm and don't let up until 6pm, sometimes even later. So in the evenings its about a 50/50 crap shoot as to which route will be faster, taking I-435 or taking I-35 through downtown.

In the last two years that have been several instances where wrecks occurred on both routes, and I had to re-route going west on I-435 and up and then take MO-152 east. Those days my one-way drive would be about an hour.

I don't mind the drive when it takes right around 30 mins, but it annoys me when there are back ups and wrecks and then I'm at a 45 min to 1 hour drive. Unfortunately wrecks on I-35 and I-435 aren't uncommon.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

We love where we live, and honestly neither of us have much interest in living in JoCo. We enjoy being able to vote on items that are important to the metro area. I can't say I recall JoCo residents voting on anything that mattered outside of JoCo since I've lived here. We also visit the downtown/Crown Center/Plaza areas frequently and from our house that is only about a 15 min drive.

We've investigated moving simply because my work day is much longer now, not because of extra work, but because I leave early for work and leave late from work to avoid the bulk of bad rush hour traffic.

I'm an accountant so its been near impossible for me to justify dropping an extra $80K minimum on a move when I'm at max 15 years from retirement, but hoping to retire closer to 7 years from now. The increased mortgage payment and having a larger debt hanging over my head puts more stress on me than the stress of driving through the Grandview Triangle.