KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by beautyfromashes »

www.kansascity.com/news/politics-govern ... 46785.html
Justus back in the race.

Who is the candidate that will be most likely to continue our resurgence DT? It seems that everyone is running on cutting TIFs and redistributing development when we still have so much to do to build our core.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Eric Bunch is switching to 4th in-district to replace Jolie.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Is Matt going to jump back in?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

mykn wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:32 pm Eric Bunch is switching to 4th in-district to replace Jolie.
So, who’s taking on Shields now?!
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:26 am Who is the candidate that will be most likely to continue our resurgence DT?
Jolie. No doubt.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

bspecht wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:03 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:26 am Who is the candidate that will be most likely to continue our resurgence DT?
Jolie. No doubt.
The only knock for me on her is the airport developer choice, but she seems good. I liked Lucas too but he seems to be turning anti-DT development. Canady is whip smart. It’s probably a three person race. I’m surprised that Northland Republicans don’t have a candidate. The population up there is growing enough to guarantee the second spot if they vote in a block.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:58 pm
bspecht wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:03 pm
Jolie. No doubt.
The only knock for me on her is the airport developer choice, but she seems good. I liked Lucas too but he seems to be turning anti-DT development. Canady is whip smart. It’s probably a three person race. I’m surprised that Northland Republicans don’t have a candidate. The population up there is growing enough to guarantee the second spot if they vote in a block.
Have heard some who supported Canady's council run are upset by her run for mayor. Anyone here similar?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I’ve heard more people confused by her presence in the race. Her name recognition seems low, even by standards of first-term council members. If it’s a three person race, I’d say Justus, Lucas, and Taylor. Out of that three I would take Justus. Lucas has represented the 3rd for an entire term and has never bothered to make contact or visit my neighborhood. I honestly have no idea where he stands on anything. Informal observation is that he seems to like to make minor crises at the council level in order to solve them.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Shields running unopposed? How did this nightmare happen?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:47 am Shields running unopposed? How did this nightmare happen?
Allow me to introduce you to https://www.austinstrassle.com/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Does anyone have more information on him? The website makes him sound like a meh candidate who won't support downtown.
Would it be possible for Matt Staub to run for this position?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I asked earlier, but I don't think anyone answered. Is Matt Staub going to jump back in to anything (feel free to answer here Matt :P)?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Quinton Lucas arrested on suspicion of DUI last night in Lawrence
Reached Friday morning, Lucas said he had been drinking and decided he shouldn’t drive back to Kansas City. But, he said, he never moved his vehicle from the public spot it was parked in. He said he “dozed off” in his car.

“I took the choice to behave responsibly yesterday,” Lucas said. “I did not drive or operate a vehicle. It was in a parking spot; it did not move from a parking spot.”
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

When no one runs against you there's no need to be available to the electorate. It's a good thing the council has term limits.

https://twitter.com/Hall1stDistrict/sta ... 9086090240

She serves the northland and only has meeting hours in the northland once a month (most months), in the middle of the day
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

I tweeted at both mayor candidates asking if they would support modern urban planning policies such as removing all parking minimums and eliminating minimum residential lot sizes. Lucas liked my tweet but didn't respond. Hopefully our next mayor will help us get away from 1960s era urban planning that plagues most of the city because that is what I care about. Both keep talking about potholes and trash which I know people care about, but these are things we shouldn't have to even think about as citizens that the city has failed us on lately...

https://twitter.com/DerekNWeaver/status ... 3270329344
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dnweava wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:00 pm I tweeted at both mayor candidates asking if they would support modern urban planning policies such as removing all parking minimums and eliminating minimum residential lot sizes. Lucas liked my tweet but didn't respond. Hopefully our next mayor will help us get away from 1960s era urban planning that plagues most of the city because that is what I care about. Both keep talking about potholes and trash which I know people care about, but these are things we shouldn't have to even think about as citizens that the city has failed us on lately...

https://twitter.com/DerekNWeaver/status ... 3270329344
Keep in mind we have a weak mayor system, so the entire council would need to weigh in on such changes.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The Star endorses Melissa Robinson and Eric Bunch.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Does anyone have any thoughts on at large candidates? I know very little about them
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 am Does anyone have any thoughts on at large candidates? I know very little about them
1st and 2nd are uncontested

3rd: Ellington vs Hartsfield
Ellington is a term limited state level rep. He's the house minority whip right now. He says his focus is crime, small businesses and education
Hartsfield is a baptist pastor and his experience is community activism and has history working on civil rights
https://www.kcur.org/post/seg-1-3rd-dis ... s#stream/0

Both sound like they have a good background but I would pick Ellington. He clearly has practical experience the other doesn't

4th: Shields (Incumbent) vs Westfall
Westfall

5th: Barnes (Incumbent) vs Williams
The Star endorsed Barnes
He was on the school board before the council

Williams runs this org
http://twelfthstreetheritage.org/who-we-are. They do have a good practical list of real world actions but how much of this did he actually do?

I would vote for Barnes

6th: Bough vs Johnson-Cosby
http://northeastnews.net/pages/large-candidate-guide/
Bough is an attorney. she focuses on land use law and has served on several city committees
Johnson-Cosby is a realtor and founded but left a community group. She is on the piac committee today

I would pick Bough based on her greater practical city experience
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I like Brandon, but he has not been able to collaborate in the Legislature (which means he probably won't collaborate with the new council). He has no legislative wins to speak of.

The 6th District race is difficult. Stacey has worked hard, but also has a hard edge that has earned her some enemies. Her campaign is unnecessarily negative (makes the Carpenters look like The Carpenters). I plan to vote for Andrea.

I am considering a vote for Westfall, but not because I like him at all or think he'll do a good job. Need I say more?