2019 Mayor/Council Elections

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Haven’t seen anything on this, but I’m sure all of you know. Kander is running so I will include his website link.

http://jasonkander.com
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Jason Kander has withdrawn from the KCMO mayoral race.

http://www.jasonkander.com/notefromjason
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Wow. Good for him.

Too late for those who withdrew to get back in?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

That's disappointing. Hope he recovers fully.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

grovester wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:28 pm Wow. Good for him.

Too late for those who withdrew to get back in?
Nope. Filing doesn't open until Dec. 8.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Has Sly endorsed anyone yet? It will be interesting to see if Jason puts his support behind anyone or just stays out of it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Can we at least take a minute before talking about the political ramifications of an, obviuously, very tough decision by Jason?
mykn

Post by mykn »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:50 pm Can we at least take a minute before talking about the political ramifications of an, obviuously, very tough decision by Jason?
Not just a hard decision to drop out but a brave decision to fully disclose why. I wasn't a big fan of how he entered the race but I'm proud of him for how he exited it.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:50 pm Can we at least take a minute before talking about the political ramifications of an, obviuously, very tough decision by Jason?
This is an unprecedented (or very unusual) action for a huge front-runner to pull out of a campaign. I'm not going to even pretend I can understand the challenges of someone living with PTSD, and Kander's candor in this matter is also extremely insightful, troubling (from the view of how our military personnel navigate the world post-service), and inspirational. We can and should talk about this, but also need to let him deal with his situation on his own. What we can know for sure is that the race went from not much of one to a completely open-ended one. I wish him the best, but I also can't help but immediately wonder how this impacts things.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I always thought it was odd he ran since he was doing so many other great things, I am really sad about this and hope we see Kander in a couple years, i really think he is a bright spot in the progressive side of democrats
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:35 pm I always thought it was odd he ran since he was doing so many other great things, I am really sad about this and hope we see Kander in a couple years, i really think he is a bright spot in the progressive side of democrats
Well stated.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

Hello time traveller, welcome to the cruel, unforgiving battleground that is politics in 2018. I very much recommend that you return to the undoubtedly more civilized times that you have come from.

Some internet commenter is probably already screaming about this being a deep state conspiracy to elect Jolie Justus empress of Kansas City.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

tower wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:40 pm Some internet commenter is probably already screaming about this being a deep state conspiracy to elect Jolie Justus empress of Kansas City.
You heard that too?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

tower wrote: Some internet commenter is probably already screaming about this being a deep state conspiracy to elect Jolie Justus empress of Kansas City.
I’m sure and not surprised. But, we have the choice not to participate in someone else’s pathetic life.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:08 pm
tower wrote: Some internet commenter is probably already screaming about this being a deep state conspiracy to elect Jolie Justus empress of Kansas City.
I’m sure and not surprised. But, we have the choice not to participate in someone else’s pathetic life.
People like Scott Wagner, who questioned Kander's motivations in a statement today. I know I joked about it, but that's actually pretty disgusting.
mykn

Post by mykn »

tower wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:04 pm
People like Scott Wagner, who questioned Kander's motivations in a statement today. I know I joked about it, but that's actually pretty disgusting.
Wow, link to what Wagner said?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

He also tried on Twitter to claim that as a council member he started efforts that actually began in 1999, 12 years before he joined the council. It's not defining by itself but it shows bad character when combined with other things.

I would like to see Jolie Justus run now. Quentin Lucas would be a good choice too. Both are balanced individuals who have a good feel for what the city needs.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

bobbyhawks wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:42 pm Has Sly endorsed anyone yet? It will be interesting to see if Jason puts his support behind anyone or just stays out of it.
Jolie Justus would get backed by both of them if she runs again.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

mykn wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:05 am
[/quote

“If the reason given was true, it shows once again the importance of mental health in dealing with our veterans.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 71115.html
mykn

Post by mykn »

tower wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:07 am
mykn wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:05 am

[/quote

“If the reason given was true, it shows once again the importance of mental health in dealing with our veterans.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 71115.html

Thanks, wow that's kinda shitty.