Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by KCPowercat »

And that shields will be chair of pze . Ugghhh
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:03 pm And that shields will be chair of pze . Ugghhh
Excellent news.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Have heard from a pretty solid source that Troy Schulte is on his way out now.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:20 pm Have heard from a pretty solid source that Troy Schulte is on his way out now.
His contract likely will not be renewed.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I haven't followed the Shulte issue very closely, but know that it was brought up quite often during interviews over the election cycle. What exactly is he doing that is causing the problem?
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:20 pm Have heard from a pretty solid source that Troy Schulte is on his way out now.
Even better.

For all of the chatter of the two candidates not being much different this is a pretty big difference.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I thought they were both on the record as retaining him?
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

I thought so too, so I looked it up. I can't find anywhere that he was asked point blank about it. However, at a Star debate, Lucas gave Schulte an A- rating, same as Justus gave him.
Grades for City Manager Troy Schulte.
Justus initially said “B+” then bumped him up to an “A-,” saying he’d done a remarkable job managing a large city with hard problems. She said he needed to help address what she called “those last pieces,” of upgrading neighborhoods and making it easier to do business in the city.

Lucas also gave an A-, but said Schulte needed to address at least three underperforming departments: Public Works, which needs a better plan for dealing with winter street conditions; Water Services, where rates have increased unacceptably, and Neighborhood and Housing Services, which needs to revamp its code enforcement approach for residents rehabbing homes.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 45848.html
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Lucas responded publicly on twitter stating he has no intention of getting rid of Troy if he won the election. Doesn't mean that Troy is interested in staying. I guess we'll see.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:55 pm I thought they were both on the record as retaining him?
Easy to say if you have a coalition on the council to be the bad guy or Schulte quits before his contract is up.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:03 pm And that shields will be chair of pze . Ugghhh
Based on how she ran her re-election campaign, I'm going to say she'll chair T&I instead. Loar will chair the airport committee, which is horrifying.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

My god
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

Nick Haines was on 710 today made it sound like Troy wouldn't be back and Lucas won't have much of a honeymoon period.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

johnmatrix wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:27 am ...Lucas won't have much of a honeymoon period.
My expectations are high, based on the rhetoric in the campaign.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

johnmatrix wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:02 pm
Even better.

For all of the chatter of the two candidates not being much different this is a pretty big difference.
Whats the primary issue with Schulte? from what i've seen hes not bad in his position.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 am
johnmatrix wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:02 pm
Even better.

Whats the primary issue with Schulte? from what i've seen hes not bad in his position.
It appears Lucas and Schulte differ on city services and I think Lucas wants more control over how much the city manager can spend without council approval.

If I've been at my job for 10 years and the new boss previously called some of my old work "really weird" I would be looking for a new job as well.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 am
johnmatrix wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:27 am ...Lucas won't have much of a honeymoon period.
My expectations are high, based on the rhetoric in the campaign.
Mine too and he's only 34. Deliver on some of this stuff he very well could be a star for higher office but first things first.

Also they were talking about the new administration hopes to curve crime by November. That's really unrealistic and will take a few years to implement policy and see results.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

So, is the general rag consensus that we are on the verge of slipping back into a more negative, anti-development cycle under Lucas and co.?

It's already been a slow year for new development announcements and the vibe I'm getting from news about town reminds me just a bit of the dark days of Funkhouser. Someone tell me I'm reading too much into the rhetoric...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It shouldn't be as bad as Funkhouser years now that there is more natural momentum downtown but downtown won't be on the Mayors plate as much.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I have doubts that Lucas will be able to deliver on reducing crime and turning around the East Side when those efforts have never gone very far before, but I'll get behind him! I don't see Lucas as anti-development, but more development aimed at the right areas (i.e. East Side). He came to speak at the company I work for when the airport vote was coming up and Justus couldn't make it. He was very charismatic, but seemed like his ego was always present - will be interesting to see how he does once he gets in office and the special interests all come at him.
Hoping for the best!