Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
scooterj
Ambassador

Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by scooterj »

The imagery can't be more than a couple months old because it includes my new driveway. :) New things you can see include interior walls at the Berkeley Riverfront apartments and a nearly topped-off Two Light.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by flyingember »

Every development announces publicly they're going for unique occupants and end up looking like the next shopping center up.

The new Plaza owners just go and find interesting options without fanfare.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Now two light appears as finished. Also convention hotel construction
benjaminkelley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by benjaminkelley »

Only on mobile tho. Full desktop site still shows one light as a brown pit, My building(1914 Main) is still a surface lot.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Weird. I just assumed the desktop site would be on the same schedule
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

benjaminkelley wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:42 am Only on mobile tho. Full desktop site still shows one light as a brown pit, My building(1914 Main) is still a surface lot.
And also (on mobile) only when zoomed in a bit. Zoomed out on mobile still shows the old map.

Desktop does show it too, but you have to disable 3D (which they recently changed to the "Globe" icon in the settings.) The 3D imagery is so old it shows the earliest stages of One Light.

My redbud trees are all red, so it must have been around mid-Spring.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I know NYC and London have gotten their 3d model updated recently, at least in their cores. I think they update every 5 years, which means kc won't be due until next year, since the imagery shows the 2014 king tut exhibit on the front of union station
benjaminkelley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by benjaminkelley »

scooterj wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:13 am Desktop does show it too, but you have to disable 3D (which they recently changed to the "Globe" icon in the settings.) The 3D imagery is so old it shows the earliest stages of One Light.

Thanks for the tip on disabling stupid 3d mode, couldn't find where they moved the setting to on desktop version.
That then does allow it show the updated imagery.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

benjaminkelley wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:42 am Only on mobile tho. Full desktop site still shows one light as a brown pit, My building(1914 Main) is still a surface lot.

http://www.nearby.org.uk/google/nolabels-map.php

No labels google maps satellite imagery
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

benjaminkelley wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:13 am
scooterj wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:13 am Desktop does show it too, but you have to disable 3D (which they recently changed to the "Globe" icon in the settings.) The 3D imagery is so old it shows the earliest stages of One Light.

Thanks for the tip on disabling stupid 3d mode, couldn't find where they moved the setting to on desktop version.
I wish Google would turn 3D off by default unless you specifically select to 45-degree view. It serves little purpose when viewing from above, is always out of date, and makes it hard to accurately place markers.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

Looks like the satellite update is from a Saturday morning about ~10am. Swaths of empty parking in Crossroads, while River Market surface parking is near capacity.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

bspecht wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:26 pm Looks like the satellite update is from a Saturday morning about ~10am. Swaths of empty parking in Crossroads, while River Market surface parking is near capacity.
My money is on May 5. My Google Photos archive of that day show it sunny and clear, with my redbuds in full bloom, and photos of people at my house that match the cars visible in the driveway in satellite view.

God I'm such a nerd.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Somewhere around May 1st.

You can tell by the convention hotel construction. Portable red crane is there to assemble 2nd tower crane. Went back through Loews thread to confirm, but like you said sure appears a Saturday for all the activity at City Market and I noticed 14th is closed between Main and Grand.

Edit: I spent way too much time on this, but am 99% sure it was Saturday, April 28th. Being that 14th is closed, I looked for events and the 2018 Downtown Wine Walk was that day. Found photos and they had round tables in the road and pop up tent placed in front of Bristol that jives up with what you see on the Google satellite image. Mystery solved?

Edit 2: Make that 100% sure now. Parkville Brewfest was that day in English Landing Park, which I was at. Can clearly see the tents in the satellite image.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

scooterj wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:43 pm
benjaminkelley wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:13 am

I wish Google would turn 3D off by default unless you specifically select to 45-degree view. It serves little purpose when viewing from above, is always out of date, and makes it hard to accurately place markers.
Yes, thank you for that tip! The 3D buildings are just an annoying novelty to me.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCLover wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:14 am Edit: I spent way too much time on this, but am 99% sure it was Saturday, April 28th. Being that 14th is closed, I looked for events and the 2018 Downtown Wine Walk was that day. Found photos and they had round tables in the road and pop up tent placed in front of Bristol that jives up with what you see on the Google satellite image. Mystery solved?

Edit 2: Make that 100% sure now. Parkville Brewfest was that day in English Landing Park, which I was at. Can clearly see the tents in the satellite image.

Nice catch! Must have been early in the morning based on tree shadows and there not being very many people there yet. (Though there sure are a lot of cars?) This means the extra cars in my driveway would be from the people who met at my house to ride with me to the festival. I hadn't thought of that.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

3D imagery just updated!

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Imagery appears to be from last summer
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Aerial imagery for the greater downtown area has been updated again.

My car is at work, so it has to have been a weekday. And based on shadows, it was morning.

Here's direct links to the views of a few development projects if anyone wants to mine them for clues to try to narrow down a month...

https://goo.gl/maps/6p9auq4shBehAkCZA

https://goo.gl/maps/a4CA6oGQFmMa7TQo7

https://goo.gl/maps/GHDe9HH649YDXfKT9

https://goo.gl/maps/zK74oE9J2cmS8LBa7

https://goo.gl/maps/jPcrb1pSnpJUcj7r9

https://goo.gl/maps/c5fJqKXeU3EqJC7K7

(Remember, you have to turn off "Globe" view to see the new imagery.)
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

It was taken the same day as the 3D imagery, probably near the same time. You can tell because of how the same cars are parked in the same places, even in public parking lots.

Pretty both were taken during late summer
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Early July based on the condition of the McCown Gordon building