KC's quirks and oddities (keep it light)

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KC's quirks and oddities (keep it light)

Post by earthling »

warwickland wrote:kc has a hilarious (and really hard to pin down) old school (urban?) accent. this is actually a different accent than one i hear sometimes when i call my overland park office, and someone answers the phone with a super-lightish texas-y (plains?) accent. i guess it's all of the people that have moved into metro kc from the surrounding plains.
Linguists call it the Midland drawl, some locals have it, others who grew up in KC don't have it at all. Is more of a country drawl, not a Texas or southern twangy accent. STL has the nasal accent but if you go a bit south it's southern, if you go north it also has the Midland drawl. One of my sisters in STL has strong nasaly accent but her lifetime W County husband (high school coach) and sons have something between midland drawl and slight southern mix.

There are different variations of this. Ohio/Indiana midland drawl sounds a bit different to me than KC midland drawl but both are "country", not really southern or Texan...

edit: Don't hear it much anymore but some older KC city people have the Walter Cronkite accent. Maybe old money peeps.
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I also hate how people pronounce Nevada missouri. Its not like the state.
These always get to me in Missouri. The worst offender has to be Versailles. Like nails on a chalkboard.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

edit: Don't hear it much anymore but some older KC city people have the Walter Cronkite accent. Maybe old money peeps
Born in Cameron MO in '52. Lived in the South since '83. From time to time someone my age or older will comment that I sound like I should be on TV or the radio.

Apart from speaking in a somewhat clipped manner, my accent is also heard in my failure to differentiate certain sounds such as found in hawk/hock and merry/Mary/marry. I'm sure there are others.

But, I'm not old money. I'm not any kind of money.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"my failure to differentiate certain sounds"

Interesting. Never thought of it that way. I also have trouble with similar sounding words which affects some of my speech. Going to Catholic schools I got into trouble a few times saying the Hail Mary prayer. For me it was Hell Mary.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:For me it was Hell Mary.
They'll have nun of that type of talk.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

earthling wrote:
warwickland wrote:kc has a hilarious (and really hard to pin down) old school (urban?) accent. this is actually a different accent than one i hear sometimes when i call my overland park office, and someone answers the phone with a super-lightish texas-y (plains?) accent. i guess it's all of the people that have moved into metro kc from the surrounding plains.
Linguists call it the Midland drawl, some locals have it, others who grew up in KC don't have it at all. Is more of a country drawl, not a Texas or southern twangy accent. STL has the nasal accent but if you go a bit south it's southern, if you go north it also has the Midland drawl. One of my sisters in STL has strong nasaly accent but her lifetime W County husband (high school coach) and sons have something between midland drawl and slight southern mix.

There are different variations of this. Ohio/Indiana midland drawl sounds a bit different to me than KC midland drawl but both are "country", not really southern or Texan...

edit: Don't hear it much anymore but some older KC city people have the Walter Cronkite accent. Maybe old money peeps.
that's one of the worst maps i've seen...southern illinois is an (arbitrary) mess on there.....actually a lot of illinois is more than a mess. chicago? wow. obviously missouri is fairly jacked, too, and tennessee is not midland...
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

some notes:
this one is also a mess but at least makes a hellofa effort. chicagoland not having a sub-dialect on here is weird, though. same with wisco...although there is an area south of the wisco border well west of the outskirts of chicagoland that sounds like wisco, that doesnt last long at all heading towards I-80. also, central illinois is absurdly complicated on this map...

with the exception of the bottoms of southeast missouri, the vast majority of outstate missouri shares a similar accent all the way up to the iowa border (kirksville, etc). it's generally much more of an accurate map, though it maybe should have some kind of kansas city/lawrence minor overlay.
Last edited by warwickland on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, I saw many and went for the oversimplified one intentionally. The point was to show Midland drawl stretch from KS to OH as different from southern twang, which your maps also shows but much harder to read. Though Southern MO is more 'southern twang' where Northern MO is more midland drawl. There are certainly more granular levels of dialect, even within cities.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

missouri is kind of a weirdo state compared to the rest of the midwest, because there isn't a hard historical barrier like the ohio river. accents are kind of on a more subtle gradient with pockets obviously like st. louis or even mutant south city-ozark accents like jefferson county. the mutant accent around st. louis seems to be kind of spreading around eastern missouri both ways across the meramec (st. louis version of the ohio).
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

this is an interesting one for missouri...showing kc (plus lawrence) and st. louis area (and how it spills out especially into the upper ozarks).

huffpost.com
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

I know I have said this before but you need to go to the Facebook group Things and Places we loved in greater KC when we were much younger. On the previous page there was a picture of a partial layout of the Plaza. Anyway as a follow-up to that some one has posted a picture of proposed street layouts for a portion of the Plaza from 1924.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

earthling wrote: Wornall Rd is pronounced WornEll? Yet Nall Rd is pronounced with an A. Have even seem some spell Wornall with an E on this site.
Wornall
earthling wrote: Not many say Missourah but some of the older ones do. Do you say Mississippah? Would you hail a taxah?
MissourUH, MississippEE, taxEE, NeVAYda, VerSALES and MiamUH, OK. It is what it is.
earthling wrote: We say # Highway instead of Highway # like rest of US. People who move here consider it odd but does make sense given this is a metro wide numbered street grid. Is natural to differentiate 40th St from 40 Highway, though we do say Interstate 70.
I grew up saying "Highway Farty" referring to I-64 through StL/StL Co.
earthling wrote: Northlanders drive freakin slow on the highways and in left lane. They need signs up there.... slow traffic keep right. Actually I think it's cops up there not giving an inch. I've gotten a ticket for 72 in a 60 zone up there, in any other large metros 80mph would be fine on freeways if not driving crazy. JoCo/WyCo and Southlanders are not at all slow drivers.
So do MiamUH and Franklin County peeps out for their Thursday rush hour "Sunday Drive" along I-35.
earthling wrote: Kansity.
"KC"
earthling wrote: Burnt ends! Wonderful oddity indeed.
Burnt ends when dining out...Park Steaks with Maull's when grilling out back.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:I know I have said this before but you need to go to the Facebook group Things and Places we loved in greater KC when we were much younger. On the previous page there was a picture of a partial layout of the Plaza. Anyway as a follow-up to that some one has posted a picture of proposed street layouts for a portion of the Plaza from 1924.
"Plaza" or "Plawza"?

I'm 50/50 on that these days...probably cuz I said NW Plawza when growing up in Bridgeton.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Total tangent: I've long been fascinated by the St. Louis backyard grilling style. I'm led to believe it usually involves a gallon jug of Maull's poured into a pan with either a beer or soda added to it, grill everything while the sauce heats up, and then dump everything in the sauce and serve it from there. I'm told the best burgers, hot dogs, and (of course) pork steaks are when they've been sitting in the sauce so long it has begun to penetrate and stain the meat. Sounds just downright bizarre. I love it!
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

mean wrote:
Total tangent: I've long been fascinated by the St. Louis backyard grilling style. I'm led to believe it usually involves a gallon jug of Maull's poured into a pan with either a beer or soda added to it, grill everything while the sauce heats up, and then dump everything in the sauce and serve it from there. I'm told the best burgers, hot dogs, and (of course) pork steaks are when they've been sitting in the sauce so long it has begun to penetrate and stain the meat. Sounds just downright bizarre. I love it!
I like your tangent....errrrrr.....lol

But, seriously, you've been led to believe correctly. That's exactly how my family prepared the park steaks.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Awesome. Glad to know my StL source wasn't just trying to make something weird up to see if I'd believe it, haha. :)
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

mean wrote:Awesome. Glad to know my StL source wasn't just trying to make something weird up to see if I'd believe it, haha. :)
Chicken and pork steaks are my favorite meats prepared in that manner.

Maull's sweet n smoky BBQ sauce from the one gallon glass containers was bomb. I think it's only available in plastic containers these days - regardless the size.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Our friends from the St. Louis area use thin cut prime rib put on the grill frozen, grill for a short time and then smother with Maul's.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

sometimes i brine thick cut porksteaks, especially if i get them extra thick from the butcher and have them cut the butt right there. even smoke-grill them at a medium temp like 325.

however, some schnucks (or shop n save) stores carry ultra thin sliced pork steaks and this schnucks brand bbq sauce simply called "1936" or something like that (i guess it's a maulls like sauce). it's a year from the 30s, in any case (i always forget). i paint that sauce on and grill hot and fast, and then simmer it in the sauce with h-dogs.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i've never had a pork steak at a STL backyard bbq, but we received pork steaks in our Local Pig meat-box for a while. we thought it was basically the worst cut of meat ever. we received pork steaks several boxes in a row, and i never could figure out a way to make them taste good or be anything other than a dry, tough, gross cut of meat that we ended up feeding the dog. i can see "braising" 'em in some MAULL'S taking things up a notch.