World War 1 Centennial

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
scooterj
Ambassador

World War 1 Centennial

Post by scooterj »

I'm surprised I haven't noticed a thread on this considering what a big deal it is for KC to be hosting this tomorrow, as well as for how disruptive it's going to be for those who work in the area. :)

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 69674.html

http://kcmo.gov/news/2017/wwi-ceremony- ... y-morning/

That got a few of us at my office looking at pictures of the 1921 dedication ceremony, and we spotted somethhing we have a question about and I wondered if anyone might know. This is a photo of the north lawn from 1921:

Click this link for full version to see the detail

What is this structure on the left that people are standing on? Was that something temporary for the dedication ceremony, or was it something more permanent that was later torn down for some reason?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: World War 1 Centennial

Post by flyingember »

That looks like it's where the plaques are right at Pershing St and it was removed by the mid 30s

Based on the position that's the very bottom of the hill at Pershing St

Here's 1920
http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_view ... OX=1&REC=8

the fountain and freeze up top was added after 1928, they're not there yet. So odds are the bottom wasn't yet either.
http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_view ... X=1&REC=15

Whenever it was removed, it was gone by 1935
http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_view ... OX=1&REC=3

My guess is that's part of the original design.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Pretty cool, I didn't realize it had gone through so many design tweaks.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

scooterj wrote:I'm surprised I haven't noticed a thread on this considering what a big deal it is for KC to be hosting this tomorrow, as well as for how disruptive it's going to be for those who work in the area. :)

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 69674.html

http://kcmo.gov/news/2017/wwi-ceremony- ... y-morning/

That got a few of us at my office looking at pictures of the 1921 dedication ceremony, and we spotted somethhing we have a question about and I wondered if anyone might know. This is a photo of the north lawn from 1921:

Click this link for full version to see the detail

What is this structure on the left that people are standing on? Was that something temporary for the dedication ceremony, or was it something more permanent that was later torn down for some reason?
Was that the dedication or did the Cowboys win the World Series?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

shinatoo wrote:

We were joking at work that the date on the photo was wrong and it was from the Monarchs 1924 Negro League World Series victory parade.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

scooterj wrote:
shinatoo wrote:

We were joking at work that the date on the photo was wrong and it was from the Monarchs 1924 Negro League World Series victory parade.
Great minds...
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I actually went to the Natl WW1 Museum last weekend for the first time in several years. Really an awesome experience, KC is lucky to have such a place.

It seems they've added a number of weapons and vehicles since my first visit and fine tuned the flow, which was appreciated. It was rather busy on a cloudy Saturday afternoon.

I recently finished (and HIGHLY recommend) Dan's Carlin's Hardcore History "Blueprint for Armageddon" 25 hour podcast series on WW1, as well as a couple of books on the conflict and geopolitical scene at the time. Being able to see a variety of examples of the "real deal", particularly some of the famous MGs and artillery, was wonderful. Also, the contemporary photography exhibit on display outside surrounding the tower is worth the trip alone; beautiful photographs of the French and Belgian countryside today, with the 100 year old scars of war (massive trench lines, bunkers, craters) still highly evident.

IMO the museum is easily one of KC's flagship cultural experiences, and I hope it continues to grow. Would like to see a little more emphasis on interactivity and the really horrific, visceral nature of the conflict, as well as better landscaping surrounding the memorial (the Main Street side of PVP still looks like garbage - a nice tribute to the devastated landscapes of WW1).
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

rxlexi wrote:I actually went to the Natl WW1 Museum last weekend for the first time in several years. Really an awesome experience, KC is lucky to have such a place.

It seems they've added a number of weapons and vehicles since my first visit and fine tuned the flow, which was appreciated. It was rather busy on a cloudy Saturday afternoon.

I recently finished (and HIGHLY recommend) Dan's Carlin's Hardcore History "Blueprint for Armageddon" 25 hour podcast series on WW1, as well as a couple of books on the conflict and geopolitical scene at the time. Being able to see a variety of examples of the "real deal", particularly some of the famous MGs and artillery, was wonderful. Also, the contemporary photography exhibit on display outside surrounding the tower is worth the trip alone; beautiful photographs of the French and Belgian countryside today, with the 100 year old scars of war (massive trench lines, bunkers, craters) still highly evident.

IMO the museum is easily one of KC's flagship cultural experiences, and I hope it continues to grow. Would like to see a little more emphasis on interactivity and the really horrific, visceral nature of the conflict, as well as better landscaping surrounding the memorial (the Main Street side of PVP still looks like garbage - a nice tribute to the devastated landscapes of WW1).
Ditto for Dan Carlin, both of his podcast are excellent. And everything else you said.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

rxlexi wrote:...as well as better landscaping surrounding the memorial (the Main Street side of PVP still looks like garbage - a nice tribute to the devastated landscapes of WW1).
It sometimes seems like the sidewalk directly along Main is an interactive trench warfare exhibit. Especially after a heavy rain.