Flyposting

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Flyposting

Post by JBmidtown »

When I first moved to the urban core in 2009 I tried to promote shows by flyering. I was told to avoid flyposting on poles and other standard outdoors spots because there was an anti-flyposting ordinance in place. I occasionally see the brace flyer hanging from wooden electric poles but never at the frequency seen in other large cities.

I was wondering: is the anti-flyposting ordinance still in effect? Is it ever enforced? I want to flyer everywhere but I don't want to get fined for doing so.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Flyposting

Post by flyingember »

It was strengthened in 2012. EVERY sign posted to a pole that's not from government, transit or a utility can be removed and there's penalties involved. The city can even approve individuals to remove signs too. Someone could go to the city and be approved to walk around and remove signs posted to poles and submit them to the city for enforcement. The first violation is $20, the second violation is up to $1000.

I've submitted for enforcement some of the worst examples.

The city goes way beyond flyers too, they made two businesses on N. Oak take down old pole signs and the poles when the business closed. Sign blight is taken seriously by the city.

Code 48-47

Signs prohibited. (1)
No person shall place or cause the placement of a sign in the right-of-way or on public property, including but not limited to any street, sidewalk, park, tree, or utility poles. The act of placement will be deemed to continue until such sign is removed.
(d)

Definitions. (3)
Sign. Any advertisement, announcement, direction or communication produced in whole or in part by the construction, erection, affixing or placing of a structure on any land or on any other structure, or produced by painting on or posting or placing any printed, lettered, pictured, figured or colored material on any building, structure or surface.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Flyposting

Post by JBmidtown »

Well that's disappointing. I always liked the ambience flyposting creates in other cities. The "litter" effect of the ghosts of old performances and events. It's endearing. But I suppose it must have become overwhelming for KC at some point.

Thank you for the info!