Tabs For Toys Pub Crawl

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
scooterj
Ambassador

Tabs For Toys Pub Crawl

Post by scooterj »

(Moderators, please feel free to move this if this isn't the right place. I should have posted this a couple of months ago... sigh...)

I'm involved in a group of that does volunteer work at Ronald McDonald House of Kansas City -- cooking meals, fundraising, collection drives to restock their supplies, etc.

This year our group is cooking Christmas Dinner for all three houses (I believe around 70 families total), and we decided that in addition to making all that food we are going to provide Christmas gifts to all of the children of all these families. To raise money for that, we're putting on the first of what we hope will be an annual pub crawl.

Tabs For Toys
Date: Oct. 10, 2015
Time: Crawl begins at 3:00, all participants need to be on site before 2:30. Ends at 8:00.
URL: http://tabs4toys.com
Cost: $10 thru Sunday, $15 10/5-10/9, or $15 cash at the door on 10/10. 100% of the entry fee goes to Christmas gifts for the kids. (Any leftover money will restock the Ronald McDonald House pantry.)

(Yes, we know it's the same day as Crawl for Cancer, but it was the only date that met all the other criteria.)

For those familiar with Bahua's "Splutschnick" pub crawls, it's similar to those: You go anywhere you want, as long as you walk, you take pictures of various items for points, perform tasks for points, etc. We've added a few twists, including points you can earn while walking around-town in-between bars. There's also a lot of prizes that have been donated by local businesses and liquor vendors. (Free t-shirt with registration while supplies last, gift certificates to various local bars-and-grills, booze-related gift baskets, goodie bags, Knuckleheads tickets, autographed CDs, etc.)

We will have free appetizers during the check-in, and free food (tentatively a taco bar) at the end while we tally points and hand out prizes.

Anyway, hopefully I can get a few more signups from this post, we're really close to hitting out goal but could use a boost. :) If you're interested, you can signup online at http://tabs4toys.com/sign-me-up. Or, to get your shirt earlier, stop by Zoo Bar and fill out a paper registration slip along with your entry fee (cash only). Remember, though, the price goes up to $15 on Monday!

Thanks, everyone! And sorry for spamming the forum! :mrgreen:
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Tabs For Toys Pub Crawl

Post by taxi »

This is great to see this on the forum. I wish there was more "spam" like this. Nice work, scooterj, and good luck!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

8 teams visited 46 different bars, measured 5'4" of beards, and got 63 people into conga lines and 30 people to re-enact the zombie dance from Thriller. $1,510 raised and more than 25 pounds of pop-tabs collected. I'd call it a successful first outing! :)
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Because of the last year's success, we incorporated as a legit not-for-profit earlier this year and our 2nd-annual pub craw & scavenger hunt will be on September 24!

This year we are adding a streetcar component, and we're also working on possibly adding a North Kansas City route after a couple of bars there expressed interest in participating. We've been collecting a big pile of prizes donated by businesses and individuals throughout Kansas City!

All money raised will buy Christmas gifts for the children and a family style dinner for all of the families at Ronald McDonald House of Kansas City during the holiday season, as well as restocking the pantries of all three houses. Any leftover funds will benefit Jackson County CASA and/or other local organizations helping area kids.

Date: Saturday, September 24, 2016
Time: 2:30pm-8:30pn
Cost: $15/person
Team Size: 4-6
Buy Tickets: http://tabs4toys2016.eventbrite.com
More Details: http://tabbsfortoys.com/

I hope some of you can participate, it should be a great time!