KS is so backwards

Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KC metro growth and migration stats

Post by Highlander » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:25 pm

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:43 pm
It will be interesting to see if the passage of medical marijuana has an impact on the population growth in MO vs KS. I don't think it will have a massive effect, but I imagine it could be a deciding factor for some people.

Do we know if there is a residency requirement for a prescription/card? Or could someone just go to a doctor in MO and hope they don't caught with it in KS?
There's no residency requirement to use it Colorado. Can't see why there would be one for a prescription in Missouri. When it comes to medical problems, people travel for the appropriate treatment. It's only going to be a few years where medical marijuana will be legal in every state so Kansans won't have to be careful for long.

I suspect, however, it will be pretty much a non factor in population growth. Not enough people care either way for it to make a difference.
Last edited by Highlander on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by earthling » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:27 pm

And most states allow medical usage anyway, I think about 35 now.

KCtoBrooklyn
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCtoBrooklyn » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Highlander wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:25 pm
There's no residency requirement to use it Colorado. Can't see why there would be one for a prescription in Missouri.
Recreational is a different ballgame from medical. You need to have a card issued for medical and I think it is safe to assume there would be a residency requirement.
Highlander wrote:
It's only going to be a few years where medical marijuana will be legal in every state so Kansans won't have to be careful for long.

I suspect, however, it will be pretty much a non factor in population growth. Not enough people care either way for it to make a difference.
I agree that medical will likely be legal in most states before too long, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes more than a "few" years in KS.

I don't know how many people you think would be significant enough to make a difference, but I think it could be an appreciable number. Here are some stats on number of medical marijuana patients:
https://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/vie ... eID=005889

There is a pretty wide range. Maine is the highest with 3.8% of the population. A number of states are over 2%. I would guess that the percentages in metro areas are higher than state averages due to lower numbers rural areas/small towns. If just 1% of the residents on the KS side of the KC metro decided to move across state lines (possibly bringing significant others and family members with them), I think it would be fairly significant.
earthling wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:27 pm
And most states allow medical usage anyway, I think about 35 now.
I wasn't referring to people moving to MO specifically for it, but rather people who already live in the metro, or are already relocating here, choosing the MO side vs KS.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by flyingember » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:50 pm

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:12 pm
Highlander wrote:
There's no residency requirement to use it Colorado. Can't see why there would be one for a prescription in Missouri.
Recreational is a different ballgame from medical. You need to have a card issued for medical and I think it is safe to assume there would be a residency requirement.
You should read the petition, it literally tells the answer.

https://www.sos.mo.gov/CMSImages/Electi ... 18-051.pdf

Prescriptions are limited to Missouri residents. Item 16 on page 4.

-------

1% of the population moving into the KC area only from Johnson, Wyandotte, Leavenworth would be around 8000 people. That's more than the entire city of Parkville