Drunk History

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Drunk History

Post by JBmidtown »

OK, so they create an episode of Drunk History centered on Kansas City. If it was up to you what story would you choose to tell? Go!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Drunk History

Post by grovester »

It would involve eating brain omelettes at Nichols Diner.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

No, not personal history.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Also, what??
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

My bad, I was unfamiliar with your thread title. In my defense it was a tricky monday morning question. And the omelette was quite crunchy.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Lol no worries. Drunk History is a Comedy Central show where natives of certain cities share a historical story from the city's past while extremely intoxicated. The narrative is lip synched and acted out by famous actors and ccomedians.

I mostly asked out of curiosity to see if KC could boast three good stories tthat could be portrayed comedically while drunk. I was a stuck trying to think of a good one. I also vaguely remember when i was young KSHB had a documentary series about KC that had good anecdotal local stories. Basically anything but Bob Bordello would be cool.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

The city naming story would be a good one. How can Possum Trot not be funny?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

How about the story about the first drunks in KC. In his book about the Lewis and Clark expedition, Steven Ambrose wrote about how the crew of the expedition tied one on in a big way one evening on the bluffs above the Missouri River where present day KC stands. They were disciplined by Clark the following day apparently. It was apparently KC's first liquor induced party.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I think you have to cover the whole disregard for Prohibition and how Jazz grew up here during that period.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Nell Donnelly Reed would be a great one. Hugely successful garment business owner at the height of the Depression, gave her workers all kinds of generous benefits, was kidnapped out of her driveway and released with the help of a local mob boss (John Lazia) and a U.S. Senator (James A Reed) - who she married shortly thereafter, later donated the land for James A Reed Wildlife Area.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'd think the Kansas City massacre (and the FBI's decision to carry guns) or Henry Perry/Arthur Bryant/Gates would be the most marketable. I can already see a drunk narrator describing a ridiculous assortment of carry-out BBQ in front of them, but they could do that during any story.