Kansas City Music

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Kansas City Music

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

JBmidtown wrote:if you like Nubiles, this is tomorrow (careful, it's a bunch of suuuuper scary hardcore kids!): https://www.facebook.com/events/394226750741351/
or go to this in March (party fun time punk stuff quasi-associated with Burger Records): https://www.facebook.com/events/604269319704083/

Check out this label's all KC roster: http://highdiverecords.com/

The recent aughts and past 5 years have seen a lot of great KC bands from all sides of the Rock and Roll underbelly

wish I knew more about hip hop in KC, although what I've heard has never really interested me.
Thank you!
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

No problem! Did you go to the Burger Revolution show at Harling's? I was there acting a fool. Good times, I'm glad to help get those sounds out of the underground clique. 8)
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

It's my personal opinion that Kansas City's music scene is quickly reaching a level of cooperation and creativity that will make it an unstoppable force. Maybe even equal to and probably eventually surpassing the art scene, and doing more to bolster Kansas City's outside reputation than any of the purely speculative development revivals happening now. That might have something to do with bias on my part. Only time will tell if exhaustion and implosion will happen again (as seems to be the long, cyclical history of Kansas City music).
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

It's my personal opinion that Kansas City's music scene is quickly reaching a level of cooperation and creativity that will make it an unstoppable force. Maybe even equal to and probably eventually surpassing the art scene, and doing more to bolster Kansas City's outside reputation than any of the purely speculative development revivals happening now. That might have something to do with bias on my part. Only time will tell if exhaustion and implosion will happen again (as seems to be the long, cyclical history of Kansas City music).
JB, what makes you feel this way? I ask honestly knowing little about the local music scene besides what I read in the Pitch or whatever.

Doesn't every mid-size city think it has a "good" local music scene just waiting for everyone to discover it and take it to the next level? What is KC known for, or becoming known for?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

JBmidtown wrote:It's my personal opinion that Kansas City's music scene is quickly reaching a level of cooperation and creativity that will make it an unstoppable force. Maybe even equal to and probably eventually surpassing the art scene, and doing more to bolster Kansas City's outside reputation than any of the purely speculative development revivals happening now. That might have something to do with bias on my part. Only time will tell if exhaustion and implosion will happen again (as seems to be the long, cyclical history of Kansas City music).
Nice. Trolling is a great way to bolster your credibility&
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

rxlexi wrote:
JB, what makes you feel this way? I ask honestly knowing little about the local music scene besides what I read in the Pitch or whatever.

Doesn't every mid-size city think it has a "good" local music scene just waiting for everyone to discover it and take it to the next level? What is KC known for, or becoming known for?
I wouldn't really give too much credibility to the Pitch. They did an interview of my old band a few months back and got all our names wrong and heavily misquoted us.

I'm dealing mostly with underground rock and roll and it's hard to speak on other sounds I don't have a lot of exposure to. Most of my opinion comes from anecdotal subjective experience from touring and conversations I've had with other musicians in other cities. The mid-size nature of Kansas City is definitely a benefit. Whereas in a larger place, such as Austin or Brooklyn, where over saturation of the scene(s) can create a type of competition that leads to hegemony, mid size cities have a relaxed enough atmosphere to develop more unique sounds. I don't think anyone's necessarily PLANNING for a break through on some national market, they're just trying to make songs. That being said, mid size cities have the unfortunate issue of entropy for momentum when there's little attention at home and nil attention elsewhere. I won't say which cities have that problem. Cleveland and St. Louis are healthy mid sized cities, but talking to people from those towns I would still put Kansas City above their momentum (once again, in relation to underground Rock and Roll).

Kansas City is slowly gaining national attention. Vice's music "publication" Noisey ran a lengthy article on a number of Kansas City bands. Shy Boys have been well reviewed on Pitchfork and Stereogum, and other High Dive records bands have received reviews in national spotlight. And none of these bands are alienated from the rest. There's beginning to be a real sense of community. For the first time it seems like the cliquishness of the scene has worn down and there's a lot of cooperation and shared aesthetic between bands. I don't necessarily know if that would lead to a "Kansas City sound" (there has been many Kansas City sounds over time) but I do think it's leading to a uniqueness against other cities.

Right now there's a strong, heavy, dirty sound informed by pop hooks and sardonic lyricism. I think that's what we're becoming known for. Heavy, but not dark and brooding. Just powerful sounding riffs and strong delivery.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

shinatoo wrote:
JBmidtown wrote:It's my personal opinion that Kansas City's music scene is quickly reaching a level of cooperation and creativity that will make it an unstoppable force. Maybe even equal to and probably eventually surpassing the art scene, and doing more to bolster Kansas City's outside reputation than any of the purely speculative development revivals happening now. That might have something to do with bias on my part. Only time will tell if exhaustion and implosion will happen again (as seems to be the long, cyclical history of Kansas City music).
Nice. Trolling is a great way to bolster your credibility&
Relax.
"Purely" was a hyperbolic adjective. I'm mostly talking shit on the pre-fab nature of some of the low density developments springing up as part of the downtown revival. The other renovations and improvements are exciting and it's nice to see the city have some life again. Still, I think there's some blind optimism involved and it would be tragic to have downtown just become home to the post-recession versions of McMansions.

Also I'm envious I can't afford to live downtown and have to live in an area that's essentially a suburb.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

JBmidtown wrote:No problem! Did you go to the Burger Revolution show at Harling's? I was there acting a fool. Good times, I'm glad to help get those sounds out of the underground clique. 8)
No, I haven't gone to show in a long while.

Heard some grumbling online about no KC venue picking up the Shellac tour.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:
No, I haven't gone to show in a long while.

Heard some grumbling online about no KC venue picking up the Shellac tour.
That's bizarre. I'd figure that would go over really well here. Haven't they played here quite a few times in the past? Not a lot of solid mid size venues for that in KC, unfortunately.

They can play in my basement. Big Black can come too. No guarantees above $200, the green room is one of my room mate's bedrooms.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Two local groups I've seen recently are Atlas and Wet Ones.

Atlas...alt-country stylings.
Wet Ones...face melting punk.

Both were excellent.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

kucer wrote:Two local groups I've seen recently are Atlas and Wet Ones.

Atlas...alt-country stylings.
Wet Ones...face melting punk.

Both were excellent.
I was in a band with members of Wet Ones called All Blood.

Speaking of, my new band Lil Toughies is playing at Blind Tiger tonight...
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

...I hope none of you want to that show. Wowza
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... lojock-bar

I suspect this news will be met with a shrug by most of you swells & sportos but I find this development bothersome. It's like a plot for an 80's high school comedy. Sports shouldn't have cultural hegemony in midtown. This isn't fuckin' Boston, or Olathe ...yet.
You seeing a lot of gay sports bars in Olathe these days?
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

No, the only gay sport I enjoy is Drag Race, and we watch that from the comfort of our living room.
...on second thought, the other gay sport I love is punk rock, so of course this development does nothing for me whatsoever.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Tiddlywinks for me.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... s-20160129

I'll admit to not knowing who this band is, but the quote at the end was pretty funny.

"...They're still talking about the house party they played in one Kansas City fan's basement after rocking a local theater in October. "It was exactly how Europeans imagine American parties," Perrote says. "There was alcohol, there was weed, there was everything. Everyone was making out with each other. We couldn't hear anything because everything was so loud. This is the best work ever, seriously."
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

This is worth one million HuffPo paid-up puff pieces. Fuck yes.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

http://kcpsychfest.com/?tribe_events=be ... ttish-rite ...this event is interesting from an urban perspective- its taking place in the 1928 Scottish Rite Temple on Linwood. $10 door. Event description says there will also be catered food. Music is prog-rock, advertising three drummers for this show. Last time I saw this band it was a bit on the corny side, but then again, I find most prog to be corny. Interesting event
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

^^^^Anybody make it to this thing?^^^^
Also, Tulipana is announcing the new location of the RecordBar today, Tues 1 March. Anybody got a scoop and wanna spoil?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:^^^^Anybody make it to this thing?^^^^
Also, Tulipana is announcing the new location of the RecordBar today, Tues 1 March. Anybody got a scoop and wanna spoil?

It's Metro North.