Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Currently have Google Fiber - 'free' 5M service
14%
Currently have Google Fiber - 100M or 1 Gigabit service only
20%
Currently have Google Fiber - TV + 1 Gigabit service
41%
Am in a deployed Google Fiber area but sticking with current or moving to other ISP
1%
Am in a planned area, intend to get Google Fiber
10%
Am in a planned area, sticking with current ISP
1%
None of the above/something else
13%

Total votes: 87

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'm pretty unimpressed with how Google is leveraging other projects in the company for Google Fiber. It seems like there is some low hanging fruit out there that would make the product so much better (I already like it a lot, though). They rolled out the Nexus player, with a ton a installable apps and music integration, that would be amazing on the TV box along with the SageTV interface.

They just (yesterday) announced the OnHub, a router they have worked on ala the Nexus players (built by various hardware manufacturers but specs defined by Google). The OnHub sounds like it is a natural addition to the Fiber offering. Perhaps they will roll it out to trusted testers, but the OnHub also has built-in Zigbee for future automation and is a natural fit. Hopefully, they will not try to reinvent separate equipment as much in the future, or at least only offer new products when they enhance or enable other existing offerings.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Unfortunately OnHub can't replace the Google Fiber router (confirmed in GF forums). You can add it to the GF router but not replace it. WTF.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Does anyone know if AT&T is rolling out Gigapower in older areas/buildings? I've heard of them in newer developments or new downtown residential but not anywhere else yet.

They claim to be available in many of the larger KC metro cities...
http://www.att.com/shop/internet/gigapo ... e-map.html
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So anyone in KCMO or KCK that initially signed for Google Fiber not have it yet? KCMO City Manager says Google Fiber rollout is complete but I suspect he means the infrastructure. There are still some stragglers out there I'd bet.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:So anyone in KCMO or KCK that initially signed for Google Fiber not have it yet? KCMO City Manager says Google Fiber rollout is complete but I suspect he means the infrastructure. There are still some stragglers out there I'd bet.
KCMO northland still isn't complete.

Mine got pushed back to by the end of November. They still have to figure out how they want to run the fiber to my house.

So there's no possible way that the rollout is complete. If they were just waiting on the hookups that would be one thing, but that they still haven't figured out their network design is clearly another.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So it may be the infrastructure complete but not last mile connections. Of 6 I know in Northland, all are connected.

Is it just your home or your entire neighborhood?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:So it may be the infrastructure complete but not last mile connections. Of 6 I know in Northland, all are connected.

Is it just your home or your entire neighborhood?
multiple parts of the neighborhood aren't hooked up. I know of at least two areas they still have to begin running fiber to each home. they began the work back in April and it's September and they haven't finished.

And most of the neighborhood has above ground electrical so it's mostly running cable above ground. It's taking more than half a year to do that and it takes them one day to do 20 homes

So something bigger is going on. My guess is they're having to rethink how they connect to their backbone system.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is curious that they are rolling out actual connections to some burbs before finishing cities they first have agreement with. I could understand if a few stragglers that are logistical challenges, like a few per hood or apt buildings not doing their part, but not significant chunks of hoods.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Have a friend overseeing the work in Lees' Summit. Different crews do the different types of work involved in the build out. Once one type of company and crew does is finished with its work then it is free to move on. The 2nd stage will have a different company and crew. And so on. And with the amount of work there are many different companies doing the same stage of work, just in different areas.
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

So "Olathe East" is now having their signups, but signups for the remaining parts of Johnson County has been pushed to 2016.

Its clear that all the fiberhoods in Olathe East will meet their goal - although it is a pretty small area.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

davidc wrote:So "Olathe East" is now having their signups, but signups for the remaining parts of Johnson County has been pushed to 2016.

Its clear that all the fiberhoods in Olathe East will meet their goal - although it is a pretty small area.
Did they just start signups? There's only two left; one with 7 and the other with 4 needed to meet the goal.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

longviewmo wrote:
davidc wrote:So "Olathe East" is now having their signups, but signups for the remaining parts of Johnson County has been pushed to 2016.

Did they just start signups? There's only two left; one with 7 and the other with 4 needed to meet the goal.
about a month ago
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Still waiting on my service, signed up in August 2014. What a bunch of crap, how can a business operate like this
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Still waiting on my service, signed up in August 2014. What a bunch of crap, how can a business operate like this
Where?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Midtown Fiberhood KC, the heart of where they started, the lines are already in my back yard we had to let the contractor in our yard 2 years ago. This is just ridiculous, are they just keep building and building and forget about the previous hoods they did
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is it just your house or entire hood? If apt building, there are several where buildings owners aren't doing their part to make it happen.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

my house is delayed too.

the original goal was hookup by December 2014.
the current deadline is by the end of November 2015.

So there's plenty of cases they're a year behind.

the sad thing is their excuse, that they have to figure out how to run the cable. wouldn't a survey and to know how to run the actual fiber be a key step when designing where to put major boxes?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Well this isn't good for KCK. Despite Google Fiber rolling out in KCK, actual connectivity rate got worse (subscribers) even though availability to homes improved.

In 2014, 34.1% in KCK not connected (over 18K homes)
http://www.digitalinclusionalliance.org ... ities-2014

In 2013, 32.8% in KCK not connected (under 18K homes)
http://redistributingthefuture.blogspot ... ities.html

The rollout didn't finish in KCK until earlier this year but very odd connection rate actually got worse even though availability improved. Google is starting to allow rental buildings to get the free 5M w/out the $300/unit install fee but that didn't start until earlier this year. It could be bigger margin of error in last report but hopefully 2015 numbers look better.
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

More expansion into Johnson County!!!

"West Johnson County" - roughly west of I-435 loop (until the turn) and south from there the area west of the Olathe area that just had signups.

Signups for this new area is "October 2015". The rest of Johnson County ("East" I suppose) is still listed as 2016.
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

November 19 is the deadline for West John County. About half of the fiberhoods have already met their goal.