Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Currently have Google Fiber - 'free' 5M service
14%
Currently have Google Fiber - 100M or 1 Gigabit service only
20%
Currently have Google Fiber - TV + 1 Gigabit service
41%
Am in a deployed Google Fiber area but sticking with current or moving to other ISP
1%
Am in a planned area, intend to get Google Fiber
10%
Am in a planned area, sticking with current ISP
1%
None of the above/something else
13%

Total votes: 87

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Post by earthling »

flyingember wrote: the middle tier seems popular with other systems being put in, I would bet Google comes up with one at some point.
If they do, it might only be with a TV bundle. I suspect GF needs many $70 subscriptions to profit not matter the type of service(s), and they also have to offset the 'free' service.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

We've had the service since just before Christmas. I've been happy with it. Obviously speed tests are phenomenal. But even on wifi, many sites I pulled data down from download faster even though my wifi is capping me at around 80Mbps. I had the TWC 100Mbps plan and so download speeds should be the same between TWC and GF. But they haven't been. One particular site I used weekly would give me around 20-30Mbps on TWC, on GF it has consistently been giving me 70-80Mbps.

I've always felt TWC's routing was horrible. I would have sites that would be slow and if I'd do a traceroute I'd see it take several hundred hops all at rr.com address before leaving the TWC network. Many with horrible ping times. I can only guess this one particular site I use that involves downloads must have consistently gotten poor routing in the TWC network bogging my times down.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:
flyingember wrote: the middle tier seems popular with other systems being put in, I would bet Google comes up with one at some point.
If they do, it might only be with a TV bundle. I suspect GF needs many $70 subscriptions to profit not matter the type of service(s), and they also have to offset the 'free' service.
500mbit service + TV for like $90/month would be of interest to a lot of people
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Anyone here in the Google Fiber TV New UI trusted tester group? I didn't join that one so wondering how its going so far for whoever joined.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCtonic wrote:Anyone here in the Google Fiber TV New UI trusted tester group? I didn't join that one so wondering how its going so far for whoever joined.
I was super excited to join, but then I found out I would need to give up all of my recorded TV and got less excited. I also have already implemented my own AC wireless, so there was no compelling reason for me to join the program in full. Obviously, the testers aren't allowed to divulge all new features, but I'd also be interested to see if there has been progress on adding more apps to the interface, such as Google Music All Access or HBO Go.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

bobbyhawks wrote:
KCtonic wrote:Anyone here in the Google Fiber TV New UI trusted tester group? I didn't join that one so wondering how its going so far for whoever joined.
I was super excited to join, but then I found out I would need to give up all of my recorded TV and got less excited. I also have already implemented my own AC wireless, so there was no compelling reason for me to join the program in full. Obviously, the testers aren't allowed to divulge all new features, but I'd also be interested to see if there has been progress on adding more apps to the interface, such as Google Music All Access or HBO Go.
I didn't join for the same reason - My wife didn't want to give up those recordings again. Funny that one of the fixes in this new UI is that they can avoid losing recordings and favorites when switching out hardware in the future. I'm anxious to get my hands on that UI update once it makes it out of the beta.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

getting the "free" google fiber internet has proven to be an awesome decision, esp. now that is is paid off. we now pay $0 for internet and around $15/mo combined for Hulu/Netflix, which gives us access to eons more content that we could ever have time to watch. pretty nice to cut out $150+ out of the monthly budget.

lack of live sports is not ideal. i would pay, say, $25/mo for that capability, but not an option sadly.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

And you don't have to have Dish SAT service to use Sling if I understand right, that is it should work with Google Fiber or any ISP. But until it starts showing up on Smart TVs, Roku, iOS/Android and other streaming/gaming devices, sounds like PC connected to TV might be only way to access until then. Would think they'd also support Chromecast, maybe direct from PC.

There's a good chance other similar services will come if the FCC allows Sling TV to continue. Dish says it will release in Q1, so pretty soon.

http://about.dish.com/press-release/pro ... vs-tablets
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So is North or South KC rollout just getting started or pretty well along? Who there has it or not?

Also does Comcast in KC area still have a data cap of so many Gigabytes/month?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:So is North or South KC rollout just getting started or pretty well along? Who there has it or not?

Also does Comcast in KC area still have a data cap of so many Gigabytes/month?
I see trucks now, nothing near me yet.

Irony is all the Comcast caps are equal to several minutes of service with Google
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Our company signed up for business service a few weeks ago. They were working at the poles by our office this week, guy said install was the next step. I'm hoping business is progressing faster than residential. We're on SW Blvd in KCK. Anyone else signed up for business service?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

grovester wrote:Our company signed up for business service a few weeks ago. They were working at the poles by our office this week, guy said install was the next step. I'm hoping business is progressing faster than residential. We're on SW Blvd in KCK. Anyone else signed up for business service?
Do you know the terms of the business service? Like any restrictions to host servers or other restrictions?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Thanks! Found this within it...

https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/6123269

This one is vague...
Restriction: To create substitute or related services through the use of or access to the Services (for example, to use the Services to provide web hosting services to third parties).
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

grovester wrote:Our company signed up for business service a few weeks ago. They were working at the poles by our office this week, guy said install was the next step. I'm hoping business is progressing faster than residential. We're on SW Blvd in KCK. Anyone else signed up for business service?
My company (about 25 people) wants to get it, but they limit it to 5 static IPs. We already use 6 and would need to expand to 9 if we got GF and consolidated everything on our site. We tried to work around that by ordering two hookups (we technically have two buildings on our site) but they only allow one connection per address. It was a nice dream.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So AT&T GigaPower gigabit is now available in parts of KC metro - mostly JoCo and KCMO. Can signup for it now in some areas. Is essentially the same cost as Google Fiber. ATT has a few more channels (AMC/Sundance/IFC) but Google TV video quality much higher. ATT also might have a cap, I think 1TB/month in other markets, so something to check into if heavy into Netflix/streaming.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 41850.html

Can check your address here...
https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/gigapower.html

Anyone show as having it available? Given it will be a while before most of JoCo gets Google, might check it out.

KC area has 4 Gigabit providers now - GF, ATT, SureWest/CCI, the free muni Gbit in NKC and also TimeWarner now upgraded to 300M. In some areas people will have 3-4 high speed options. Even though other markets are getting Gbit, KC metro likely to have the largest Gbit footprint with more high speed options than other markets for years.

Edit: This says that ATT's $70 rate tracks your browsing history and $30 more otherwise. Ars claims Google says they don't track your browsing history at the Google Fiber level but does when using other Google services and you have control of clearing history in google.com/history.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/02 ... -browsing/
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Does GigaPower have more bandwith than uverse that only lets you have so many HD streams at once before bandwith is reduced?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

AT&T is limiting you to 1TB download per month, on their gigabit fiber connection. In theory, you could use your entire month of bandwidth up in 2 hours and 13 minutes, if you were downloading at the full 1gbit per second.

So there you go, 1000mbit per second service, that you can only use for a total of 2 hours per month before you hit your cap.

You are then charged $10 per 50GB of overage. AT gigabit speeds, you could download 50GB in 6.67 minutes. So you'll be getting charged $90 per hour of overage if you keep downloading at your max bandwidth indefinitely.