Just how screwed up is metro KC eco development?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Just how screwed up is metro KC eco development?

Post by GRID »

Even from 1000 miles away, I'm still on my soapbox about regional KC's craziness...

New hotels planned for metro KC.
Crossroads gets Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn Hotel

Chartwell Hospitality of suburban Nashville closed Aug.26 on a new hotel site in the Crossroads Arts District. The L-shpaped site includes vacant buildings at 1535 Baltimore Ave and 1524 Main St. They previously were occupied by Sterling Inc. About six months ago, Chartwell, which owns about 30 hotels, found “the ideal site” near the convention center, entertainment district and performing arts center, said Will Schaedle, acquisitions and development manager ofr Chartwell. The company plans to break ground early next year on the 10-story, 256 room hotel. No incentives will be sought for the project. A fall 2015 opening date is planned.
Lenexa gets Hyatt Place.

Overland Park-based RHW Management Inc. will develop a Hyatt Place hotel in Lenexa City Center East Village at 87th Street and I-435. The $23 million project includes 127 room and a 14,000 square foot conference center. Groundbreaking is set for August 2014, with an opening the following summer. To help secure the project, the Lenexa City Council approved $11 million in tax increment financing.
I’m sure nobody in Kansas City (especially the kansas side) has noticed the irony here.

A new 256 room hotel near Downtown KCMO in a very urban location that will require the removal of existing structures and construction of expensive underground parking is being built with no incentives.

Meanwhile out in the corporate welfare state, a much smaller 127 room hotel being built on an open field with surface parking is getting almost half of the project paid for by kansas tax payers.

Kansas and Johnson County are so “desirable” that they have to bribe and pay their way to achieve any sort of development at all. Kansas cannot even develop its most affluent county, even one that’s entire existence is based off of leaching and poaching off of KCMO, without using absurd incentives for nearly every project proposed.

Yep, some desirable county you got there! What's even more ironic is the residents of Kansas (JoCo) tend to be the hardest on KCMO for the incentives they offer for urban core projects (where they are actually needed and designed for), but they are totally quiet about all the subsidized development in their own perfect world suburbs.

That is all... :)