Cool 16mm Kodachrome reel of KC garage band "music video"

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Cool 16mm Kodachrome reel of KC garage band "music video"

Post by chrizow »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jWt1vR2 ... r_embedded

Some KC sights in here - Nelson-Atkins, KMBC studios, a department store. Can anyone identify that high school? Looks like Shawnee Mission East, but there are several high schools of that vintage in the KC area. Does anyone know the band? The bass drum says "Mark IV" - Googling reveals bands with that name in other states, but not MO or KS.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Cool 16mm Kodachrome reel of KC garage band "music video

Post by chaglang »

I love that. It looked like there was some serious Hard Day's Night influence, but it was probably more Monkees. What the heck were they doing at Channel 9? That made no sense.

The high school didn't look like East, unless it's some part that's since been buried under additions. It didn't look like any of the other SM or BV schools, either. I'm hoping Fang will post something amazing that will explain everything.

Edit: It could be SM West. There are a couple parts of the building that look similar to the scene where the kids are walking out of the school.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the high school is definitely of early to mid 60s origin. i am guessing it has to be pretty close to the urban core, as i doubt any young folks from a school an hour away could get a crowd of people to come dance for them at the Nelson! haha. i would imagine there couldn't be more than ~10 high schools built in that specific era in the KC area?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the thing that most made me think it could be SM East is the "baby blue" paint in the gym, and it seems like the kids streaming through the hallways are carrying a disproportionate amount of navy blue notebooks, etc. but the colors may just be coincidence.

oak park HS has the same colors and was built in the early 60s, but from pics i have seen online their gym had multiple tiers of bleachers like allen fieldhouse or something.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

the first thing the exit reminded me of is the north side of Bingham Jr. High. but why would you film at a jr. high?

the bassist's "violin" bass (ala Paul McCartney) is pretty sweet.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

On the movie marquee Bonnie and Clyde is listed so the video is '67 to '68 period.

With regards to the Band Mark IV I believe there was a band by that name performing at the time. Not sure about now but back then bands came and went quite often and members dropping out and changing bands often.

With regards to have to be in the urban core the urban core of the late 60's is far different than it is now. It was common to go to Volker Park to skateboard (like in the video) and go to a free concert. With St. Teresa's nearby Loose Park was a hangout.

Given the way the people are dressed I would say it is a high school. Which one hard to say.

Added: Given the notes it would appear to be 1968.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

the youtube comments confirm it's Shawnee Mission East

the issue of Mad is mentioned to be June 1968

which would make it May 1968 at the soonest
and since school is in session, May 1968 at the latest
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

flyingember wrote:the youtube comments confirm it's Shawnee Mission East

the issue of Mad is mentioned to be June 1968

which would make it May 1968 at the soonest
and since school is in session, May 1968 at the latest
The Bonnie and Clyde theater, is the Midland.

The department store scene is in the Jones Store, 12th & Main. Specifically, it was in womens "Better Sportswear" on the 2nd floor.

It looks like SMEast, to me. I've sent this to a couple of East '68 grads, to see if they can offer anything further.