Low Carb diets

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Low Carb diets

Post by KCPowercat »

Well I knew it would happen...the woman is now pushing a low carb diet. Anybody on these things, have opinions on them (medical or otherwise) or any comments?

I think she's looking at the "south beach" diet which doesn't cut out carbs all together.....anyways, just fishing for opinions.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Low Carb diets

Post by bahua »

Well, if you like eating things that taste good, then I'd say avoid it, and just get used to exercise.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Low Carb diets

Post by KCPowercat »

oh exercise isn't a problem.....I think she's just getting this in her head because everybody at work is doing it.....so thought I'd get some sane opinions.

Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Low Carb diets

Post by Good2Great »

Go with it baby! I did it for about 2 months at the end of the summer....the deal works. I lost 15-20 pounds.....BUT, when you fall, you fall HARD!

I think the best approach is to go low/no carb 6 days of the week and go NUTZ on the 7th. It gives you somehting to look forward to and breaks up the monotony.

Also, hit the gym, reduce your intake of soda (even diet) and drink a gallon of h20 a day.

Increase your sexual activity from one to two times a year.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

low carb

Post by macnw »

It's the big thing now. Some of the issues include price of foods$$$, taste of foods :shock: , variety of foods(very little) and length of time in sticking with it. Even though the short-term studies support this eating pattern, there is very little research on the long-term effects of eating this way. People are intrigued by the quick weight loss, however, weight loss is a long-term event. The success rate of this low carb eating program is fairly low over the long-term. Enough said, proceed with caution. I think the South Beach is more of a balanced approach.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Low Carb diets

Post by KCPowercat »

g2g...how do you mean fall off hard? Like as soon as you put white bread in your mouth, you blow up like a thanksgiving day balloon?

I'm not so much interested in dropping pounds now....I think she wants to lose 5 pounds before spring comes back but whatever.....if I'm doing something it's not for quick fixes.

Luckily I don't drink any sodas so I'm good there....my problem is liquor...and I'm reading now no booze of any kind for 2 weeks then only like red wine which I like but got to have a beer or 2 as well.

It does seem the south beach is much more balanced and less fanatical

Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Low Carb diets

Post by Good2Great »

KC wrote:g2g...how do you mean fall off hard? Like as soon as you put white bread in your mouth, you blow up like a thanksgiving day balloon?

I'm not so much interested in dropping pounds now....I think she wants to lose 5 pounds before spring comes back but whatever.....if I'm doing something it's not for quick fixes.

Luckily I don't drink any sodas so I'm good there....my problem is liquor...and I'm reading now no booze of any kind for 2 weeks then only like red wine which I like but got to have a beer or 2 as well.

It does seem the south beach is much more balanced and less fanatical
I mean, you can go carb crazy. I was doing great for 60 days, then found myself on a biz trip and went nuts until I narly put myself in a carb induces coma!

If she's just looking for 5 pounds.....it can be done in 5-15 days if she takes in less than 20 grams of carbs a day. The first few pounds fall quick.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Low Carb diets

Post by kcmajik »

Good grief people....EAT YOUR FRUITS AND VEGGIES!!!!!!!!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Low Carb diets

Post by bahua »

But don't forget the beer and burritos.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Low Carb diets

Post by dangerboy »

FWIW, we now have a entire store with low-carb food. Don't remember the name, but I think it's somewhere on Vivian Road. They also do a lot of business nationally on the Web.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Low Carb diets

Post by tat2kc »

I see a personal trainer in Brookside, with a couple degrees in exercise and fitness, and is also a registered dietician. He has some very serious concerns about the low carb "fad", especialy for people who do exercise a lot. Carbs are needed for the body for energy, but it really depends on what you eat and how much. If you want, I can give his name and number. He does a lot of consultations, and helps people set up both exercise programs and refine their eating habits. He's pretty reasonable, and you can do a consultation or regular sessions. He has a private facility, so no one sees just how bad you are!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Low Carb diets

Post by KCPowercat »

tat...that's my issue, I'm going to attempt to train for a marathon this spring/summer (not sure my knees will hold up, thanks football)....

no way will I jump head first into any fad diet, I think common sense goes a lot further than blindly following these things....although I do think they can be a good guideline...

it's all the same, eat better and excercise.

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Low Carb diets

Post by tat2kc »

If your'e interested, my trainer's name is Glenn Preston, and his company is Real World Fitness. The number is 816-333-8997. Give him a call and find out if he can help you. Definately worth it, even for a nutritional consultation. With his degrees and experience, you'll get the straight shot, without the hype.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Low Carb diets

Post by KCPowercat »

thanks

TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Low Carb diets

Post by TheDude »

life is too short, you could get hit by the 'Jo and what does it matter?? I say eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (anyway, low/no carbs makes your privates shrink anyway, and some of you cant afford that G2g)
"ALWAYS be closing"
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Low Carb diets

Post by SonicBoi »

I hear lots of ppl say that Atkins is really bad for you. One of my bro's scout leaders was on it and his doctor told him to get off of it because it had hurt his kidneys. As with any diet or exersize change, consult your doctor before making the jump.
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Low Carb diets

Post by nota »

Here's my .02-

South Beach is good. Atkins is bad. My doc won't let me or any other patients go on Atkins, but SB is much easier on your kidneys plus it is not so terribly rigid with the no carb thing. You do 3 weeks of absolutely no carbs and then gradually add some back in.

Ignore the Atkins foods like bread, etc you are starting to see in the stores. They replace the carbs with fats and cut the portion size to get their lower carb counts.

Atkins bread costs $4.99 a loaf. A bigger loaf of Wonder 100% whole wheat bread is $2.59 and has much more nutritious and much less artificial stuff in it plus it tastes better.

Same with their ice cream, etc.

Eat foods as close to the NATURAL state as you can, eat less, exercise more, cut both carbs and fats back and you will do well.

South Beach is good and works well for me. But like all diets or eating plans, it only works well when I do.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Low Carb diets

Post by TheDude »

agree 100% w/ previous 2 posts--South Beach Good, Atkins very bad for your kidneys. but i am not a fan of diets, but am a fan of exercise. that way you can eat what you want and if you are exercising, you typically will trend towards healthier food anyway.
"ALWAYS be closing"
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Low Carb diets

Post by GuyInLenexa »

South Beach is good, Atkins if you are morbidly obese (under a doctors care).
I know for me, I can not do my weight training without carbs, I play out before my third set.
I think high protein, lower fat, veggies and fruits, and try to keep your carbs to a moderate level and use whole grains or legumes, if you can.

Each person is different though.

GIL
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Low Carb diets

Post by Good2Great »

I wonder if any of these fat gals proclaiming that they're on the South Beach diet would even get out of their cars if they went to South Beach?