Road Repairs from sales tax

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Road Repairs from sales tax

Post by SWFan »

Anyone have a list of the initial road repair projects they are tackling with the $3 million advance announced yesterday?

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_news ... n-in-weeks
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Road Repairs from sales tax

Post by flyingember »

I asked Russ Johnson, email his office for a list.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/12/38 ... aired.html
The city has a list of more than 20 major roadway projects, in every geographic sector, scheduled for repairs.
They include:
• Bannister Road from Raytown Road to Norfleet Avenue.
• Wornall Road from Gregory Boulevard to 79th Street and from 96th Terrace to Ward Parkway.
• Prospect Avenue and Olive Street from 31st to 20th streets.
• Northwest 68th Street from Northwest Waukomis Drive to U.S. 169.
• Northeast Shoal Creek Parkway from Northeast 76th Street to Missouri 152.
• Ninth Street from Grand Boulevard to Charlotte Street, and 10th Street from Grand to Locust Street.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

that's the abbreviated list. there's 20+ projects
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

NW 68th from Waukomis to 169? WTF??
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

chaglang wrote: • Ninth Street from Grand Boulevard to Charlotte Street
Thank god, though I wish it would go further east. That road is a mess.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

shaffe wrote:NW 68th from Waukomis to 169? WTF??
Well, near 169 it needs some fixing, but maybe only the half of the road near 169 needs repair, the half over towards Waukomis last I was on it was in good shape.

Another one on the list that surprises me is Shoal Creek. I live near 76th and Shoal Creek so I'm on that road a lot. The only problem with Shoal Creek to 152 is a ton of undulations from the asphalt sinking. At 45 to 50mph (speed limit is 45) you'll get motion sickness. Its nice that this will likely be fixed, but other than those undulations the road is in good shape.

I'm hoping the end of 76th St. that goes over to Church Rd gets fixed with the new Flintlock flyover. From the maps it looks like they may be taking out that one lane bridge down there that is falling apart and bumpy and giving you access with a turn off the new flyover that will bypass that old bridge. Of course due to all the truck traffic at 76th & Church Rd, the asphalt at 76th's stop sign is all jacked up with a fairly large divot.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Years ago I saw a meeting on Channel 2 where Funk was saying that a number of roads weren't worth repaving until the substructure if fixed. He specifically mentioned Wornall and 9th Street as examples. From what it woulds like, NW 68th has the same issues. I'll be interested to see if this money just goes to repaving, or if they make long-term repairs to the roads.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I seem to remember I saw somewhere that the cost to do a road right is $1 million per 10 miles.

So with $3 million they could do 30 miles. Some of those segments aren't very wrong.

Seems realistic to do more than just an overlay where required. Remember, a repave in some areas could just be taking off all the top layer and putting a new one on while with others they go to dirt and level again.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

chaglang wrote:Years ago I saw a meeting on Channel 2 where Funk was saying that a number of roads weren't worth repaving until the substructure if fixed.
Cosmetic fixes does wonders. If you don't fix the substructure you can have a new surface every 5 years or so. If you fixed the substructure you only get a new surface every 12 to 15 years. Don't you want a new surface more often?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Seems like kind of a waste of resources to repave 3 times when you could do it once.

What's the cost of 3 repavements vs 1 repaired substructure and 1 repavement?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Question: Has it been deemed pointless to repave southwest blvd due to flooding or something? Because I don't know why this road isn't being included. Has to be one of the roughest roads in the city.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

I forgot to post this a couple weeks ago, but they started work on Shoal Creek. They are moving pretty fast. They ripped up the top inch or so of the asphalt and are putting down a new layer between 152 and 76th St.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Demosthenes wrote:Question: Has it been deemed pointless to repave southwest blvd due to flooding or something? Because I don't know why this road isn't being included. Has to be one of the roughest roads in the city.
the problem with it is it really doesn't go through to anywhere you can't use I-35 to bypass the segment and get to anyways quicker (excepting an accident)

it's a road that needs to be cut down in size with a nice center grassy bike median.

I'm sure it was great pre-interstate as a through street. the viaduct I-35 uses north of about 23rd was part of that system as I recall.