Where is the Best Pedestrian Friendly Street in KC?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Where is the Best Pedestrian Friendly Street in KC?

Post by AlbertHammond »

I spend a good amount of time geeking over our city, looking for great areas to reference or emulate. Name one street that you think is the best for pedestrians. (ok..name a few, if you got em.) You might have an urban street for window shopping or hanging out and a residential street for exercising or strolling.

Anywhere in the metro is fine. Maybe you know a pleasant tree lined suburban street. Maybe a street in a regional oldtown like Parkville or Lees Summit. Maybe a new development like Zona Rosa or New Longview. Maybe one of the Kessler Boulevards. Or maybe it is in Downtown or Midtown or the Plaza. Anything goes (except jackass replies like 135th & Metcalf or 81st & Wornall). It can be isolated. This is about the feel of that block or street, not the neighborhood around it.

Be as descriptive as possible….why and exactly where. A Bing map or Google streetview would be most helpful if you have time.
Last edited by AlbertHammond on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Where is the Best Pedestrian Street in KC?

Post by AlbertHammond »

My favorite street is Pennsylvania, south of Westport Rd. Good buildings. No missing teeth. Shaded. Variety of active businesses that I never go in, but adds to the activity on the street.
http://goo.gl/maps/ez4rK
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I love Baltimore from 10th to p&l building.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

39th from Wyoming to State Line
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

brewcrew1000 wrote:39th from Wyoming to State Line
Westover is a beautiful residential street between Ward Parkway and Wornall. Wide street, beautiful homes, huge trees.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

brewcrew1000 wrote:39th from Wyoming to State Line
This came to my mind first.

I love Bell walking north or south from 39th street.

The streets through Hanover Heights are also great. Not sure if many people know of this great neighborhood in KCK.

Delaware in the Rivermarket is also great.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

Volker Dad wrote:The streets through Hanover Heights are also great. Not sure if many people know of this great neighborhood in KCK.
This is H.H.: http://goo.gl/maps/T2wCv
Basically the 4100 blocks of Eaton, Cambridge & State Line with 41st & 42nd Ave.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

slimwhitman wrote:
Volker Dad wrote:The streets through Hanover Heights are also great. Not sure if many people know of this great neighborhood in KCK.
Basically the 4100 blocks of Eaton, Cambridge & State Line with 41st & 42nd Ave.
I drove through this neighborhood recently to finally check it out and wasn't impressed. It might have a great neighborhood association and a good location, but the neighborhood overall doesn't look that great. There are nicer neighborhoods in inner KCK, especially along the 18th St corridor. St. Peter, Arickaree, Westheight, and others.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

pash wrote:I read the thread title and immediately thought, "There are no pedestrian streets in Kansas City." And as far as I know there really are no streets they are closed to car traffic anywhere in the city. Am I wrong?

Many cities do have true pedestrian streets, and they're usually big parts of those cities' main attractions.
Pash-good comment. It is probably obvious that the request was not to mention the best pedestrian-only street, but rather the best street for pedestrians. Pedestrians can cohabitate with cars beautifully, but it seems to be a rare occurrence in the modern world. You seem to be wired to answer this question well. Name a few streets you think are best for pedestrians in the metro.

I don't know that I can think of any steets in KC that should be converted to pedestrian-only. That might work for events or maybe on weekend nights (like Westport Rd), but we don't have enough pedestrian density anywhere to make it viable 24/7.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

Stockton wrote:
slimwhitman wrote:
I drove through this neighborhood recently to finally check it out and wasn't impressed. It might have a great neighborhood association and a good location, but the neighborhood overall doesn't look that great. There are nicer neighborhoods in inner KCK, especially along the 18th St corridor. St. Peter, Arickaree, Westheight, and others.
Well, that speaks to my ignorance of KCK. I need to go check out those neighborhoods.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Great idea for a thread. I'm not sure I have a really good answer.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I'll throw out Burlington Armour through NKC. I'm always amazed that they were able to get CVS to build right up to the street and have TWO entrances (shocking). It's a beautiful few blocks of people cars and buildings working together.
Last edited by smh on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Here's a small one: 45th, between State Line and Wyoming

I also love the double row of trees on Pershing, between Washington Square Park and the Westin. It's like a snippet of Commonwealth Ave in Boston. We need a street like that in KC.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I know it's not "in KC" but 3rd street in Lee's Summit is a damn near perfect pedestrian area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i rather enjoy the "upper" westside a lot. you have an attractive node of restaurants at 17/summit, then an eclectic and interesting array of housing choices fanning out from there - everything from rickety victorians to ultra-mod Dwell homes, overgrown vacant lots to well-groomed gardens.

the 18/wyandotte area is cool too, with the "YJ's" block and even up and down wyandotte over to broadway. cool old buildings, creative businesses, and the PAC shining down on it all.

for residential pedestrian experience, i think that campbell street from armour to cleaver is maybe one of the best-preserved residential streets in midtown. i could be wrong, but i dont think there is a single teardown where some goofy '70s apartment complex or ranch house has been built. it's basically a mile+, 12 block length of original housing, from grand old central hyde park homes to the more humble but mostly tidy bungalows and shirtwaists in south hyde park. it's actually amazing that south hyde park has been relatively unscathed by crappy teardowns replaced with cheap apartments. i can only think of a handful of such properties, unlike poor Old Hyde Park between Gillham and Broadway which has as many 1970s section 8 apartments as it does historic properties.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

chrizow wrote:for residential pedestrian experience, i think that campbell street from armour to cleaver is maybe one of the best-preserved residential streets in midtown.
Agreed. It's also a good example of how to mix SFR and small (2-4 unit) apartments. The adjacent numbered streets have nice denisty too.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

smh wrote:I'll throw out Burlington through NKC. I'm always amazed that they were able to get CVS to build right up to the street and have TWO entrances (shocking). It's a beautiful few blocks of people cars and buildings working together.
I think you mean either Swift or Armour... I don't normally thing of Burlington as pedestrian-friendly. Both Swift and Armour are very much so, however.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

scooterj wrote:
smh wrote:I'll throw out Burlington Armour through NKC. I'm always amazed that they were able to get CVS to build right up to the street and have TWO entrances (shocking). It's a beautiful few blocks of people cars and buildings working together.
I think you mean either Swift or Armour... I don't normally thing of Burlington as pedestrian-friendly. Both Swift and Armour are very much so, however.
You're correct, I was referring to Armour.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The Pedestrian Street with the most potential and could probably be the best one:
Troost from 31st to Armour Rd