Broadway Square

Re: The KC City Flag

Post by TheLastGentleman »

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Now we just need to blue to represent something and the red to represent something and I think we've got ourselves a city flag!
KC is the way to be!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

AllThingsKC wrote:Now we just need to blue to represent something and the red to represent something and I think we've got ourselves a city flag!
Royals and Chiefs, duh /s
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I like the idea of blue representing the river.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

And the red could represent the blood of those who fought and died for Kansas City's freedom during the Great American War of Spain... or something cool like that.
KC is the way to be!
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

It represents the blood of the other cities we will spill to secure the second headquarters for amazon
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Riverite wrote:It represents the blood of the other cities we will spill to secure the second headquarters for amazon
I like this.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I mean lets just roll with this idea, we could have a meeting on Halloween where a bunch of Kansas Citians dress as roman gladiators waving the new flag. We then vow to siege any city that Amazon picks if it isn't us. It shows heart and spirit
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Riverite wrote:I mean lets just roll with this idea, we could have a meeting on Halloween where a bunch of Kansas Citians dress as roman gladiators waving the new flag. We then vow to siege any city that Amazon picks if it isn't us. It shows heart and spirit
We will take HQ2 by force if necessary, yes.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

While I'd be fine with either of the designs I've submitted here, I think I actually like the first one a bit better....
The fountain is just framed better IMO. I can see the appeal of the exact triangles of the second one though.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote:While I'd be fine with either of the designs I've submitted here, I think I actually like the first one a bit better....
The fountain is just framed better IMO. I can see the appeal of the exact triangles of the second one though.
Agreed, I liked the framing better on the first one. The angle on your white space traced the angle of the lower edges of the fountain emblem. Going with the triangles loses that framing and almost has a little too much white space at the top, IMO.

Regardless, I think both of your fountain flags look a lot better than the city's current one. A flag that continues with the current fountain symbol probably has better political legs than one that is a from-scratch redesign, since the standing objection to that type of thing is that there is a limited budget to cover existing priorities and there would be costs updating letterheads, websites etc. Walking around downtown, I see the fountain even forged into the steel of many manhole covers--not that I would ever expect those to be replaced even if the city ditched the fountain symbol someday.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

Wichita's flag is apparently popular enough that they now have a city flag license plate available through the state of Kansas, with funds going to benefit that city's local parks.

https://wichitaparksfoundation.org/plates-for-parks/

snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

My girlfriend ruined the fountain symbol for me by complaining that it just looks like a big flaccid penis. :(
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I've never seen that before. Not bad, but seems to be a bit of a New Mexico rip off.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

snigglefritz wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:50 am My girlfriend ruined the fountain symbol for me by complaining that it just looks like a big flaccid penis. :(
You're in for a surprise, people use shapes representing sex organs way more than you would think.

The Star of David is a combination of the masculine and feminine symbols

The military thus uses the masculine symbol on their uniforms. When you go up in rank you wear more penises
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

snigglefritz wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:50 am My girlfriend ruined the fountain symbol for me by complaining that it just looks like a big flaccid penis. :(
I don't think it's close enough or obvious enough to matter. The ends are too sharp and the arcs don't quite form the....you know.

I'm sorry, but your girlfriend just has a dirty mind.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:48 pm
I don't think it's close enough or obvious enough to matter. The ends are too sharp and the arcs don't quite form the....you know.

I'm sorry, but your girlfriend just has a dirty mind.
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I KEEP SAYING
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Why is your girlfriend ignoring the Liberty Memorial?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:32 pm Why is your girlfriend ignoring the Liberty Memorial?
He did say flacid.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

Wichita making a little bit of bank on their flag with a tourism video. Catchy tune. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cKDYCZFL2I