Kansas City optimism

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Kansas City optimism

Post by KCMax »

NDTeve wrote:T-shirts make a big difference too.
I was going to say that too. I even see people wear them in the burbs. KC has become cool again. I think our emerging foodie scene and the success of the sports teams probably helps a bit too.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

pash wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:Does anyone else feel the Baldwin hats are pretty blatant rip offs of the Monarchs?
Yes, I think that's the idea. The design of the Charlie Hustle shirts is a copy of a sleeve patch the Monarchs wore after World War II.
I guess they've been ripped off and taken advantage of for over 100 years, what's to stop that now. &&&!!!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Homage?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

earthling wrote:Homage?
$$$$
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It would be a nice gesture to donate a portion of the profits to the NLBM if they aren't already, just for the not-subtle ripoff.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean wrote:It would be a nice gesture to donate a portion of the profits to the NLBM if they aren't already, just for the not-subtle ripoff.
I believe they have a partnership. Charlie Hustle has been producing Negro League shirts (sharp looking ones at that) for years now.

http://nlbm.mlblogs.com/2013/11/09/char ... ir-canvas/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Charlie Hustle has released a new line of BBQ shirts and I love them. I want every single one of them. I wish they had an LC's or a Danny Edwards one.
http://www.charliehustleshop.com/collec ... collection

I kind of wish KC would embrace its BBQ culture a little bit more. Sure we had KC Masterpiece and mentions of Bryants and Gate pre internet days but It seems it didn't really explode on the national scene until a particular restaurant (Joe's) started showing up on every single travel show. Then once that exploded then our own residents wanted to take all their family and friends to Joe's. 20 years ago I bet it's a completely different tune. Grandpa from Tulsa visiting his daughter in OP says "I want some good BBQ" - "No dad we don't really have any good BBQ around here and the stuff that is good is in a very bad part of town, we could get killed, just last week on the news there was a shooting" I dunno I just feel like we should really be proud of our BBQ traditions here in KC but I don't really see that much pride.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Love those Charlie Hustle BBQ Collection T's! I agree to some extent with brewcrew's assertion that there isn't enough pomp and circumstance around our BBQ tradition. It's probably the only remaining truly "unique" cultural property KC owns (would love to say jazz, but outside of the Foundation we need to do a lot more there).

And yet, there isn't a badass BBQ Hall of Fame/museum. There isn't a decent BBQ spot in P&L (Plowboys opening close by will help here). The World Series of BBQ, one of our signature annual events, is getting shuffled back and forth across the stateline, out of it's historic home in the Stockyards, and for that matter has always lacked the major public component that could make it a truly spectacular event.

It's wonderful that there are so very many BBQ restaurants in the metro, and such a variety of styles. And I love that there are still newcomers like Q39 that continue to add to the scene. But I'd love to see more blatant, civic moves towards owning and broadcasting our BBQ tradition, for locals and visitors alike.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote:Yes, we really need a big barbecue festival that's open to the public in an urban part of the city. Smokers going everywhere, a pall of hickory, oak, and applewood smoke hanging over the city so thick that the EPA has to issue a health warning. ...
I like the idea but...

The whole food safety aspect will hang over this idea. The royal doubtless has some kind of waiver for their testers. How would this be done for the public?

How do you get enough food? The plaza art fair likely involves the restaurants providing a specific amount of food and they can get more due to proximity. How is this done for something that takes all night to cook and is normally on the scale of one side of beef or pork. Can't exactly expect each booth to provide food for more than a few dozen on the scale of a BBQ contest.

How do you assure enough people will try an unknown over a proven winner? Most competitors in an open are going to produce a subpar product. Even with all weekend to prepare, there's competitors who have trouble getting food for "three" servings done on time for the contest. Selling for an event is a whole different setup.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I can see doing an event where regional BBQ restaurants are invited to KC. The mayor wants to put on an art fair in Swope Park and there's nothing wrong with having a BBQ component to the art and music. Could help drive attendance.

That solves the food safety aspect and the scale and availability issues. Restaurants that do catering already know how to transport food.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I wonder how many BBQ food trucks there are around the city, seems like a good number. Maybe a BBQ Food Truck Roundup would fit the bill?? I'd go.