Post by KCPowercat »

Good job wildcat on the breaking news.

Sounds like a reasonable reuse....
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Kemper Arena - Demolition

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

My horseys remark was a little flip, and this does sound like something that is in the spirit of the stockyards and the Royal that will be cool for the BBQ contest. But I would prefer that something go in there that is going to get used every day, that generates sales tax revenue for the City. A missed opportunity, I think.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You are assuming ikea wanted to go there and we turned them down....
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Yeah, I suppose I am. I hope that someone made a vigorous case for IKEA or Target or something, and that they're not going with this just because they want to get Kemper off their hands and this was only thing they were presented with.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What it sounds like is the kempers coming up with this idea not the city asking for ideas....

I agree most big box wouldn't work but something like ikea would be a big enough destination. I'm guessing ikea will end up by independence center if anywhere.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

pash wrote:I don't know why any big box would want to build down there. The West Bottoms is very much out of sight, out of mind for most people, and there are better spots available all over the city.
This. I can think of about a half dozen sites near the urban core that I'd prefer, and I'm sure a big box could find two dozen in the burbs they'd prefer.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Seems like a multi-use arena would get a lot of use (if they design it that way). There really isn't any kind of arena in KC this size. Events that would use a 5,000 seat arena just seem to go into Municipal even though it's way too big. Hopefully they do something like that instead of making it equestrian-specific.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

American Royal leaders propose tearing down Kemper

Post by KCRoyal »

According to the Star's website, American Royal leaders today called on the city to demolish Kemper Arena and replace it with a new equestrian and agricultural center.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/25/32 ... opose.html
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The buildings around Kemper, while used for other events, were built primarily for the American Royal. The organization has funds in all. So to build something that is not compatible with that organization doesn't work. Since the rodeo has moved to SC the only main event that the AR has for Kemper is the Horse Show. And they don't need 20,000 seats for that event.
However, I think 5,000 seats might be rather too small for the Horse Show and any other horse-related event that might be interested in the space. Hopefully the AR knows what they need.
Although I hate to see Kemper Arena go away, since I spent many years working there, I know it has come to the end of its lifespan and it is time for something new for the Royal.

The outstanding debt for Kemper will still have to be paid plus any funds the city needs to kick in for the new construction so have fun Kansas City citizens.
Seems like a multi-use arena would get a lot of use (if they design it that way). There really isn't any kind of arena in KC this size. Events that would use a 5,000 seat arena
Hale Arena next door to Kemper serves that purpose. In the past it has hosted many events that fit would fit your bill.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: American Royal leaders propose tearing down Kemper

Post by KCPowercat »

We will have fun....Thanks!
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Hale Arena next door to Kemper serves that purpose. In the past it has hosted many events that fit would fit your bill.
I guess, but the floor is such an awkward shape and size that for something, like say MMA or basketball, it can't really be used as 5,000 seats because the seats on the ends have such a terrible angle. It's a really poor design for a multi-purpose arena.

Question: what's going to be different about this arena than Hale?
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I guess it is all wishful thinking on my part, and it sounds like the City has some long-term obligations to the Royal that they would have to honor in any case.
KCMax wrote:
pash wrote:I don't know why any big box would want to build down there. The West Bottoms is very much out of sight, out of mind for most people, and there are better spots available all over the city.
This. I can think of about a half dozen sites near the urban core that I'd prefer, and I'm sure a big box could find two dozen in the burbs they'd prefer.
There might be better places to put it, but I think something like that would be the best thing for the Bottoms. If we could magically get an IKEA there, I can guarantee that it would no longer be out-of-sight, out-of-mind. Right now, it's an 8-hour drive in any directly to get to the closest IKEA, and people still do it. It's the kind of store that people go out of their way for, and they're more likely to be the kind of people who would also be interested in patronizing places like Genessee Royale. That's the kind of thing that I would hope the City is thinking about. It's not like they just realized that Kemper was a liability.

This is a little off-topic, but where in the urban core would be a better fit for big-box type of development? Assuming that Kemper is going to come done anyway, it seems like this would be the largest portion of land that doesn't require major demolition. Were you thinking North KC frontage?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I guess it is all wishful thinking on my part, and it sounds like the City has some long-term obligations to the Royal that they would have to honor in any case.
Yep. The city and AR still have around 35 years left on a lease for the city to provide an arena for the AR.
Question: what's going to be different about this arena than Hale?
From what I can tell the dirt floor will always be there - no taking the dirt in and out or putting something on top of it. Many might think dirt is just dirt but for people showing horses that is not the case. Owners treat these animals better than many people treat their kids. Having the dirt always in place should mean it is always in the best condition.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

This may be a dumb question, but does AEG have a say in this?
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Street level retail?

Where will people park?

Will the horses have enough grass to eat?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Moot point, but Restaurant Depot seems to do just fine down there.
Last edited by chingon on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Although I hate to see Kemper Arena go away, since I spent many years working there, I know it has come to the end of its lifespan and it is time for something new for the Royal.
Ha! Finally! I've wondered all these years what made you AKP.
aknowledgeableperson wrote:
From what I can tell the dirt floor will always be there - no taking the dirt in and out or putting something on top of it. Many might think dirt is just dirt but for people showing horses that is not the case.
If they build something that can't host monster trucks, they will fail!

And if they're gonna demolish it, I sure hope they implode it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If the city transfers ownership of the facilities, it owes American Royal a $12.5 million credit.
I think the City should just transfer ownership of Kemper Arena to the American Royal, and absorb this $12.5 million credit/loss, and then the American Royal should finance this project privately through fundraising.

I have no problem with the City issuing TIF to help pay off the new project--as might be done with any private new development. The State might be able to kick in some incentives if the new project is tied to economic development by luring some agri-business/animal science concerns down to the West Bottoms around the existing complex, and can use the existing parking lots for their employees.

I think there is no likelihood that an IKEA or Target would ever go into the West Bottoms. There are too many better locations for such retail operations around the City. If the Metro ever gets an IKEA, I would imagine Kansas will lure it using their STAR bond incentives.