Sprint Center a sign of KC's hard times.

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Sprint Center a sign of KC's hard times.

Post by KCLover »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Sprint Center a sign of KC's hard times.

Post by Highlander »

KCLover wrote: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/674 ... ris-plains

I dont like this article.
Pretentious idiot.  He should have mentioned that Kemper does better than many arenas in the nation WITHOUT a permanent tenant but he prefered to be dishonest so he could strut his superiority now that he writes for one of them big city papers.  His writing skills are poor to start, I was bored after the first half paragraph not to mention he doesn't engage in any kind of fact check.  bleh.    
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I would hate KC too if the Star wouldn't touch me and I had to work for the freaking Olathe daily news.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

The best part is that he hasn't lived here since the 90's, but yet slinging a bunch of opinions about a place "he loves". So much wrong with the article and ill agree he's a piss poor writer, if it wasn't about KC I would have clicked out after the first boring paragraph.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I don't have time to check it right now, so maybe someone can do the homework for me.  But, hasn't the Sprint Center been ranked by various groups as one of the most active arenas in the country?  If I'm not mistaken, I believe one group ranked the SC #2, behind Madison Square Garden a few years ago.
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Okay here is my take on this article.  This is based on a) I read the first paragraph and b) i've read internet and twitter responses.  That said I haven't read the entire thing because it looked long and the first paragraph told me this writer was lazy and/or uninformed.

From what I've gathered this guy has the typical attitude of someone in and around KC that left for another "better" metro and can't wait to come back and tell people how great the weather/sports/scenery/etc. is in their new metro.  I have a few college friends that have done this.  Without fail they are from small towns, lived in KC for awhile, then moved on.  THESE are the very people with the inferiority complexes.  They can't wait to come back and let you know how great X city is and how enlightened they now are.  The moment you try and rebut their "KC never will do this like my city will" they dismiss the conversation..... Well it's this type and....

the other segment of the typical KC inferiority complex we hear so much about are what I consider the Kevin Keitzmen variety....grew up in KC, live in KC....but then again never got into the spirit of living in a "city".  Sure they attend an auto show, they enjoy the big city attractions of MLB, NFL, etc. but they never really left their neighborhood burb and really experienced what the city has to offer.  They consider it scary, dangerous, whatever.....but then they travel to the "seattles" of the world and experience the exact same things (caveat: obviously differences between cities) they could experience here but never really did....so they start wondering "why can't KC be like this"...when really, IT IS.  But they fly back and settle back into their routine......never looking to find what they enjoyed in that city and it's really right in their own back yard.

I come up with this theory for two main reasons.  One, there are many of us that have "taken the next step" as it were and do experience this city daily and have realized how great it is, we have a great group of those people who post here daily....when we travel to other cities our size and larger, we appreciate the difference but also see where we have a competitive advantage and also where we can improve....without have a inferiority/jealousy angle to the thought......and two, there are many immigrants to KC from other cities our size and larger and appreciate what is here....they see what one living here all their life doesn't see and appreciates it.  Many of us have ran into these people.

That being said, let me make myself clear...I'm in no way saying all of those who grew up in the burbs and still live or maybe moved here from a smaller area there don't appreciate the city....or that everybody that moves here from the NYC/Chicago of the world loves it....all I'm saying is those who exhibit this "inferiority complex" almost without fail fit into the two categories I described above.  The majority is not this way but the "inferiority minded minority" are vocal.

That's kinda my take on the whole "inferiority complex" people like to label KC residents with.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Okay here is my take on this article.  This is based on a) I read the first paragraph and b) i've read internet and twitter responses.  That said I haven't read the entire thing because it looked long and the first paragraph told me this writer was lazy and/or uninformed.

From what I've gathered this guy has the typical attitude of someone in and around KC that left for another "better" metro and can't wait to come back and tell people how great the weather/sports/scenery/etc. is in their new metro.  I have a few college friends that have done this.  Without fail they are from small towns, lived in KC for awhile, then moved on.  THESE are the very people with the inferiority complexes.  They can't wait to come back and let you know how great X city is and how enlightened they now are.  The moment you try and rebut their "KC never will do this like my city will" they dismiss the conversation..... Well it's this type and....

the other segment of the typical KC inferiority complex we hear so much about are what I consider the Kevin Keitzmen variety....grew up in KC, live in KC....but then again never got into the spirit of living in a "city".  Sure they attend an auto show, they enjoy the big city attractions of MLB, NFL, etc. but they never really left their neighborhood burb and really experienced what the city has to offer.  They consider it scary, dangerous, whatever.....but then they travel to the "seattles" of the world and experience the exact same things (caveat: obviously differences between cities) they could experience here but never really did....so they start wondering "why can't KC be like this"...when really, IT IS.  But they fly back and settle back into their routine......never looking to find what they enjoyed in that city and it's really right in their own back yard.

I come up with this theory for two main reasons.  One, there are many of us that have "taken the next step" as it were and do experience this city daily and have realized how great it is, we have a great group of those people who post here daily....when we travel to other cities our size and larger, we appreciate the difference but also see where we have a competitive advantage and also where we can improve....without have a inferiority/jealousy angle to the thought......and two, there are many immigrants to KC from other cities our size and larger and appreciate what is here....they see what one living here all their life doesn't see and appreciates it.  Many of us have ran into these people.

That being said, let me make myself clear...I'm in no way saying all of those who grew up in the burbs and still live or maybe moved here from a smaller area there don't appreciate the city....or that everybody that moves here from the NYC/Chicago of the world loves it....all I'm saying is those who exhibit this "inferiority complex" almost without fail fit into the two categories I described above.  The majority is not this way but the "inferiority minded minority" are vocal.

That's kinda my take on the whole "inferiority complex" people like to label KC residents with.
I know you don't like it when I point out some of KC's downfalls and compare them to what other cities have (transit, recreation, lack of regional cooporation etc).  Those posts doesn't mean I don't know what KC does offer and I still think KC is probably the most underated city in the country despite the issues I like to constantly point out.  Trust me, I constantly point out to locals here in DC and Baltimore when KC has things that are better then what is here and that happens quite often.

Your post is spot on.  Nicely said.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCLover wrote: The best part is that he hasn't lived here since the 90's, but yet slinging a bunch of opinions about a place "he loves". So much wrong with the article and ill agree he's a piss poor writer, if it wasn't about KC I would have clicked out after the first boring paragraph.
Are you talking about Chris Suellentrop or Grid?

Sorry Grid, that was kind of to good to pass up...love you man.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Grid...my apologies if that came off wrong because those I describe were in no way you or your takes here.  Your takes are raw passion about the city you love.....those I described in that post are not looking to improve KC in the slightest.

AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

KCPowercat wrote: Okay here is my take on this article.  This is based on a) I read the first paragraph and b) i've read internet and twitter responses.  That said I haven't read the entire thing because it looked long and the first paragraph told me this writer was lazy and/or uninformed.
That's a hell of a long response for not having read the piece and then calling the author lazy.  :)

The article rankled me a little as well, not precisely on KC's behalf, but the New York/Midwest thing that can apply to anywhere between there and the West Coast.

I don't know if "inferiority complex" is the right word, but I do see something like that at work here. And what you call the "Kietzman-type" is precisely part of the problem with this metro--those people are an actual part of a metro's character, and the part that I'd say lend themselves to the "inferiority complex."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

LOL....true.  That first paragraph (swear I haven't read the rest of it...yet) comes from a long line of hear that "take".

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

GRID wrote: I know you don't like it when I point out some of KC's downfalls and compare them to what other cities have (transit, recreation, lack of regional cooporation etc).  Those posts doesn't mean I don't know what KC does offer and I still think KC is probably the most underated city in the country despite the issues I like to constantly point out.  Trust me, I constantly point out to locals here in DC and Baltimore when KC has things that are better then what is here and that happens quite often.

Your post is spot on.  Nicely said.
no offence taken at all, I knew it wasn't directed at me, but just felt the need to speak up :).  

Shinatoo, if only I had a column at the ny times.  Trust me, I would talk up kcmo (because so few know it's a real city) and bash the shit out of kansas and let the world know just how destructive the state can be to the city that gives it a reason to exist in the first place (without kcmo, Kansas is farms, wichita, a shitty ghetto capital and two college towns).   8)
Last edited by GRID on Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I read the article but kinda shrugged it off. Why? Because it summed up the attitude many in KC seem to have. I am really shocked it has provoked the angry response it seems to have provoked. I guess its okay if one of us is a Debbie Downer about the city, but it an East Coast, New York City boy (who used to live here) says it, he's looking down on us!

Reminds me of Animal House. "He can't do that to our pledges! Only we can do that to our pledges!"
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

Love the idea of the "Kevin Keitzman" theory...yes, these are the ones that never leave the confines of college blvd and or/119th. They read that "Boulevard"magazine which is horrible.

This guy's article clearly wanted to highlight his ascension from the dull midwest to his new career peak. It's a big pat on the back to himself.

I'm always wary of people that hard sell where they are as a make up call to a real inner feeling that where they are isn't that great. Hello Denver and Dallas.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Downtowner wrote: This guy's article clearly wanted to highlight his ascension from the dull midwest to his new career peak. It's a big pat on the back to himself.
LOL. Bingo.

And nice post KCP.
Last edited by KCMax on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This guy is a quintessential suburbanite who went away for college...went back to his home in the suburbs...decided he didn't like this "city"...and moved away bashing it as he goes.  The reality is he is completely uniformed about anything going on here and didn't have clue how to find out (completely uniformed)and couldn't even write a decent piece on his feelings about it.

Its sort of ironic that this guy says he didn't have any creative outlets here as I tend to find the people who are creative and adventurous are the people who generally enjoy or appreciate the character of this city while those of a less creative ilk tend to only notice some of KCs draw backs/downside (which there are some) while touting other cities as superior for the odd (IMO) reasons...usually bringing up things that are incredibly touristy or common as what impressed them in another city.  Which always make me start the ole "but, we have that in Kansas City too..."  
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

That article was about 7 to 8 paragraphs too long, overly sentimental, and exceptionally over-explanatory.  There is something to be said about a conversational, "hey, buddy" writing style, especially when it comes to something as banal as sportswriting - but this guy needs an editor.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

voltopt wrote: That article was about 7 to 8 paragraphs too long, overly sentimental, and exceptionally over-explanatory.  There is something to be said about a conversational, "hey, buddy" writing style, especially when it comes to something as banal as sportswriting - but this guy needs an editor.
It reeks of being a Bill Simmons or Chuck Klosterman-wannabe, only he's not clever enough to come close to pulling it off. "Hey, I'll throw a nostalgic retro commercial that's an inside joke to my friends back home but has no connection at all to what I'm writing about to seem clever."

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

It was a personal essay.  I think KC is not helping its image out at all by getting defensive about one article.  People have all sorts of experiences growing up.  There are people who grew up in NYC and can't stand the place.  There are people who grew up in KC and can't stand the place.  I understand that people want to stick up for the city, and to demonstrate that the author was flat out wrong in some cases, but for KK on 810 yesterday to bloviate on and on about how this guy has some personal issues doesn't help anything.  Keitzman attacked his mental health, his newspaper (making some ridiculous claim that the KC Star was in better shape than the NY Times), and the city of NYC (claiming that it is something like the 50th most liveable city in the country).  He went on to compare the joblessness rates in both cities.  I just don't see how that is helping our image.  It is people like that who give us our inferiority complex label (but doesn't almost every non NYC/SF/LA city have one?).  It is people like that who make those who left KC turn to their NYC/LA/DC friends and say, "see, look at those simple people whine about their city when they know they couldn't make it in mine."  The truth is, KC will never be NYC, LA, etc.  We are for the most part comfortable with that, but every time someone from those cities trashes us, we recognize their influence by reacting in an overly defensive way.  Nobody in those cities gives a crap if someone from the KC Star decides to write a story about how dirty and crowded NYC can seem (I happen to love that city).  And I'm not saying we shouldn't react at all, but I'd rather it be an even-tempered reaction than what appears to be a typical, midwestern pitchfork and torch mob.  Every article like this has some elements of truth in it.  I think there is a lot to learn from criticism like this, and if we just write it off as an angry ex-KC resident, then we aren't doing ourselves any favors.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I think there was potential for an interesting article about self-loathing and the self-imposed lack of identity that most people feel in almost any city in this United States - but it doesn't change how poorly written the article is.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton