Applebee's to leave Lenexa HQ for KCMO

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Applebee's to leave Lenexa HQ for KCMO

Post by KCMax »

This is an off-shoot of the "EPA to Lenexa" story, but it warrants its own thread. Applebee's is now looking for a new office to house its 350 employees on both sides of the state line.

Applebee?s parent DineEquity seeks office for 350 Kansas City-area employees
Applebee?s will look for new digs of about 100,000 square feet. The company said it expects to complete the move before Sept. 30.
Applebee's will leave Lenexa headquarters

Any suggestions?
Last edited by KCMax on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Applebee's to leave Lenexa HQ

Post by KCPowercat »

Town pavilion ?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

[Free market] KCMO should offer to pay whoever makes the final decision $1 million outright in cash if they move here and provide them with an underage harem in perpetuity.  [Free market]
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I love the free market!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

May be Applebees could be convinced to move to part of the old EPA building as a consolation prize.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

justin8216 wrote: May be Applebees could be convinced to move to part of the old EPA building as a consolation prize.
Not going to happen.  I just have to wonder who is running the show there.  Paying 26 million to get out of a contract and go to yet another HQ building?  Employees must feel like itinerant workers. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

How about putting Applebees, AMC, and Polsinelli-Shughart in the same building downtown?

Too bad we don't have one already built that is big enough for them and unoccupied.
There is no fifth destination.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

They must have felt comfortable out there in suburban hell, just like their restaurants.  Maybe they'll go out of business once the requirements to post calorie/fat/sodium infomation on their menus kicks in.  Eh... doubt it.  Americans love their heart-stopping food in mega portions.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Jumping to kcmo.

Hurst
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Hurst »

KCMO poaching jobs from JoCo - we must stop this insanity, please god make it all stop, this all out border war is too much.  aaaaaaaahhggghhh
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

While James decried what he called the waste of taxpayer money on both sides of the border diverted to the incentive battle, he observed Kansas economic development officials might have to lose a couple of rounds before declaring a cease fire.

“The days of sitting back and watching it happen are over,” the mayor said at the EDC event. “Mutually assured destruction only works if both sides are armed.”
He doesn't want to do it but has to do a few to stop the madness.  We have a real mayor now who is poised like a true leader.

http://m.kansascity.com/kcstar/db_10892 ... &pn=0&ps=5
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Still a zero sum game..

I think everybody here hopes this leads to some sort of stopping to all of this....unlike overland park so seems to think they are actually winning by tracking their taxpayers by continuing to do it for every 12 jobs they can poach.

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Olathe by where the Embasy Hotel/Convention Center going.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Has anyone found what specific incentives were offered and by who?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

KCMO has got it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Applebee?s scoops up $12M in state tax breaks for move to Missouri
The incentives package provided by the Missouri Department of Economic Development includes nearly $11 million in tax credits awarded to DineEquity through the Missouri Quality Jobs program and an additional $1.5 million in new jobs training program money.
That's $32,000 per job, over ten years.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote: Applebee?s scoops up $12M in state tax breaks for move to Missouri

That's $32,000 per job, over ten years.
Here's to hoping it is more an investment in proving a point to job poaching advocates in KS than it is a decrease in tax revenue for the region.  For a while, many people in JOCO were starting to think that cross border job poaching was a one way street to prosperity rather than a race to the bottom and a detriment to the metro.  I wouldn't be shocked if KCMO people pushed hard for this one to prove that very point.  Sly now has some ammo to back up his stated need for regional cooperation.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Hopefully this is the last time this crap happens in KC and Kansas will stand down.  I have my doubts though.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Hopefully this is the last time this crap happens in KC and Kansas will stand down.  I have my doubts though.
I haven't heard anything about Kansas rescinding the 47 million offer to AMC.  I suspect it will probably go into hyper gear as a result of Applebees.  KC needs to establish itself as THE place for business to be, then Kansas can incentive to their hearts content with little avail. 
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Highlander wrote: I haven't heard anything about Kansas rescinding the 47 million offer to AMC.  I suspect it will probably go into hyper gear as a result of Applebees.  KC needs to establish itself as THE place for business to be, then Kansas can incentive to their hearts content with little avail. 
But how?  Every business has unique circumstances that dictate the best place to locate, but there will always be a number of them that only care about the bottom line.  If AMC takes the Kansas deal, they will have turned into that company at the expense of history, community, cultural investment, etc.  As long as Kansas offers better packages, there will be companies that are willing to jump ship.  The only way around this is for Kansas, MO, and KCMO to work together to only offer these deals to companies with employees outside of the region (and potentially to keep businesses from leaving the region).  The atmosphere we currently reside in is one where businesses are foolish not to announce they are considering a move across state lines every time their lease is up.  The sweet tax deal on one side or the other is almost a given if you have more than 100 employees.