Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by earthling »

Google throwing block parties/happy hours..

July 12, 1-5 p.m., Summer Block Party at the Google Fiber Space, 1814 Westport Road, Kansas City
July 17, 6-8 p.m., Happy hour with Google Fiber at The Legendary Rooftop, 1843 Village West Parkway, Kansas City, Kan.
July 26, noon-4 p.m., Google Fiber Birthday Celebration at the Google Fiber Space, 1814 Westport Road, Kansas City
Aug. 2, noon-4 p.m., Fiber Space Saturday at the Google Fiber Space, 1814 Westport Road, Kansas City
Aug. 6, 6-8 p.m., Happy Hour with Google Fiber at The Cashew, 2000 Grand Blvd., Kansas City

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... vents.html
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

davidc wrote:Google Fiber website has an update regarding timing in Johnson County.

Johnson County (excluding OP and those 3 cities that have signups running right now) will have signups before the end of this year (2014).

Overland Park signups will be sometime next year (2015).
I thought OP was getting left out?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Has anyone else tried to sign-up for the Trusted Tester program? Perhaps an NDA would prevent you from talking about new stuff on the horizon, but I'm just curious if they have selected anyone for the program yet with regard to Google Fiber.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Reddit says yes.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote:Google and OP finally cut a deal a couple of days ago, one that's apparently identical to the one OP rejected last year. See http://www.kansascity.com/news/governme ... 76669.html

(It's mentioned in the Star article you posted yesterday that the deal was indeed signed on Monday.)
Google had all the power on this one.

Incidentally, if you see a google fiber box and they haven't planted bushes or put a small fence around it, open a 311 ticket using this ordinance. and it's not just Google to be fair, AT&T, KCPL, etc would fall under this. I plan to liberally.

88-425-08-B
If above-ground utility cabinets are installed in an existing neighborhood (i.e., where principal buildings already exist on the subject lot), the utility provider is responsible for installation of required screening. Requirements for screening apply to new cabinets, as well as replacement of existing cabinets. The city planning and development director is authorized to approve alternative screening requirements or to waive screening requirements when soil conditions or other site constraints prevent strict compliance with otherwise applicable screening standards.
Last edited by flyingember on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

bobbyhawks wrote:Has anyone else tried to sign-up for the Trusted Tester program? Perhaps an NDA would prevent you from talking about new stuff on the horizon, but I'm just curious if they have selected anyone for the program yet with regard to Google Fiber.
We signed up early last month but haven't heard anything.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I signed up about three weeks ago and haven't heard anything back.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Also signed up, no word.
mykn

Post by mykn »

flyingember wrote:
pash wrote:Google and OP finally cut a deal a couple of days ago, one that's apparently identical to the one OP rejected last year. See http://www.kansascity.com/news/governme ... 76669.html

(It's mentioned in the Star article you posted yesterday that the deal was indeed signed on Monday.)
Google had all the power on this one.

Incidentally, if you see a google fiber box and they haven't planted bushes or put a small fence around it, open a 311 ticket using this ordinance. and it's not just Google to be fair, AT&T, KCPL, etc would fall under this. I plan to liberally.

88-425-08-B
If above-ground utility cabinets are installed in an existing neighborhood (i.e., where principal buildings already exist on the subject lot), the utility provider is responsible for installation of required screening. Requirements for screening apply to new cabinets, as well as replacement of existing cabinets. The city planning and development director is authorized to approve alternative screening requirements or to waive screening requirements when soil conditions or other site constraints prevent strict compliance with otherwise applicable screening standards.
Someone ran into the one at 10th and Baltimore. A great way to get them to put it below ground.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

when are the new boxes/software coming out? i'm putting off getting my own router but can't hold off much longer
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Might be a while because they are just now signing up people to beta test and no word on that yet. Might be next year before new boxes are rolled out to general users at this rate - though Google seems to have rapid test cycles with software, not sure about hardware.

From a couple pages back, looks like the new TV Box might have AC WiFi so new Net box likely will too. Also MoCA 2.0 support is good news as that can do near a Gbit over coax. HDMI 1.4 implies they are prepping for 4K/UHD TV.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-06/2nd ... s-release/
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

earthling wrote:Might be a while because they are just now signing up people to beta test and no word on that yet. Might be next year before new boxes are rolled out to general users at this rate - though Google seems to have rapid test cycles with software, not sure about hardware.

From a couple pages back, looks like the new TV Box might have AC WiFi so new Net box likely will too. Also MoCA 2.0 support is good news as that can do near a Gbit over coax. HDMI 1.4 implies they are prepping for 4K/UHD TV.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-06/2nd ... s-release/
I'm guessing sometime this fall for the new hardware. It would make sense for them to release a new network box along with the new TV boxes, especially if they will all be AC capable. Google went out of their way to say that Android TV could be rolled out on set-top boxes during the I/O conference, which normally implies a device with a TV tuner in it. I'd also imagine they would really like to demonstrate the potential as soon as possible. The entire rollout of Android L and Android TV sounds like it may be in the fall or even slightly earlier. Philips is releasing a TV with Anroid TV built in by Q3 of this year, so I have my fingers crossed. I'm also holding off on an HTPC purchase depending on what comes up in the next few months.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Those who sign up for Google Fiber 6/20 or after no longer get the free Nexus 7 tablet

https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... TkHezBOTRI
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCtonic wrote:Those who sign up for Google Fiber 6/20 or after no longer get the free Nexus 7 tablet

I never once used mine when I had Google Fiber. When I moved and returned everything to Google, the technician's fingerprints were still the only fingerprints on it. :)
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

scooterj wrote:
KCtonic wrote:Those who sign up for Google Fiber 6/20 or after no longer get the free Nexus 7 tablet

I never once used mine when I had Google Fiber. When I moved and returned everything to Google, the technician's fingerprints were still the only fingerprints on it. :)
I use mine once in a while when browsing channels, but mostly use the bluetooth remote for TV control. I do use it... as a tablet though. Stuff like basic browsing, apps etc.

On a related note, at what point do you own the devices you are paying for with Google Fiber?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCtonic wrote: On a related note, at what point do you own the devices you are paying for with Google Fiber?

When I returned them I was given the option of buying them, they are prorated based on how many months of service. If I remember right it takes 2 years to own them outright.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Couple of tidbits for Google Fiber TV subscribers:

You can now go to http://www.zap2it.com TV listings and select your zip code and then see Google Fiber TV listings for all channels. This is also helpful for anyone who might use Slingbox with Google Fiber TV.

I don't think all of this has been announced yet, but Starting August 14th in both KC & Provo,
CTN Network (Christian TV Network) will be added :roll:
SEC Network will be added to regular TV package (this was announced previously)
ESPN Buzzer Beater/ESPN Goal Line moves from regular TV package to Sports Plus package (presumably to help pay for SEC Network addition)
GoITV Spanish Language Version being added to Hispanic package (GoITV English Version will remain part of Sports Plus Package)
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Just got an email from Google Fiber saying we've been selected into their test program. Test includes replacement of the hardware, which will combine the network box and storage box into a single unit, as well as upgrade of WIFI to 802.11ac. New Google Fiber app, as well, but currently supported only on Android platform.

Think we'll accept, but will have some binge viewing ahead since all DVR'd shows will be long during the transition.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kcjak wrote:Just got an email from Google Fiber saying we've been selected into their test program. Test includes replacement of the hardware, which will combine the network box and storage box into a single unit, as well as upgrade of WIFI to 802.11ac. New Google Fiber app, as well, but currently supported only on Android platform.

Think we'll accept, but will have some binge viewing ahead since all DVR'd shows will be long during the transition.
Wow. There must be some agreement in place not to transfer shows from one DVR to another. That seems like a pretty basic thing that Google could support for people swapping out DVRs. Wireless AC is very encouraging. I'll be interested to hear if there are new apps or a new interface in the TV box itself.