KCRag Forum

Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
earthling
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2118
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby earthling » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:34 am

Google throwing block parties/happy hours..

July 12, 1-5 p.m., Summer Block Party at the Google Fiber Space, 1814 Westport Road, Kansas City
July 17, 6-8 p.m., Happy hour with Google Fiber at The Legendary Rooftop, 1843 Village West Parkway, Kansas City, Kan.
July 26, noon-4 p.m., Google Fiber Birthday Celebration at the Google Fiber Space, 1814 Westport Road, Kansas City
Aug. 2, noon-4 p.m., Fiber Space Saturday at the Google Fiber Space, 1814 Westport Road, Kansas City
Aug. 6, 6-8 p.m., Happy Hour with Google Fiber at The Cashew, 2000 Grand Blvd., Kansas City

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... vents.html

User avatar
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 24051
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: The basement of a Ross Dress for Less
Contact:

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby KCMax » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:38 am

davidc wrote:Google Fiber website has an update regarding timing in Johnson County.

Johnson County (excluding OP and those 3 cities that have signups running right now) will have signups before the end of this year (2014).

Overland Park signups will be sometime next year (2015).


I thought OP was getting left out?

pash
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2944
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:47 am

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby pash » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:48 am

Google and OP finally cut a deal a couple of days ago, one that's apparently identical to the one OP rejected last year. See http://www.kansascity.com/news/governme ... 76669.html

(It's mentioned in the Star article you posted yesterday that the deal was indeed signed on Monday.)

bobbyhawks
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3396
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:19 pm

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby bobbyhawks » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:04 am

Has anyone else tried to sign-up for the Trusted Tester program? Perhaps an NDA would prevent you from talking about new stuff on the horizon, but I'm just curious if they have selected anyone for the program yet with regard to Google Fiber.

User avatar
grovester
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2580
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby grovester » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm

Reddit says yes.

flyingember
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3389
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby flyingember » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:45 pm

pash wrote:Google and OP finally cut a deal a couple of days ago, one that's apparently identical to the one OP rejected last year. See http://www.kansascity.com/news/governme ... 76669.html

(It's mentioned in the Star article you posted yesterday that the deal was indeed signed on Monday.)


Google had all the power on this one.


Incidentally, if you see a google fiber box and they haven't planted bushes or put a small fence around it, open a 311 ticket using this ordinance. and it's not just Google to be fair, AT&T, KCPL, etc would fall under this. I plan to liberally.

88-425-08-B

If above-ground utility cabinets are installed in an existing neighborhood (i.e., where principal buildings already exist on the subject lot), the utility provider is responsible for installation of required screening. Requirements for screening apply to new cabinets, as well as replacement of existing cabinets. The city planning and development director is authorized to approve alternative screening requirements or to waive screening requirements when soil conditions or other site constraints prevent strict compliance with otherwise applicable screening standards.
Last edited by flyingember on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kcjak
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby kcjak » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:49 pm

bobbyhawks wrote:Has anyone else tried to sign-up for the Trusted Tester program? Perhaps an NDA would prevent you from talking about new stuff on the horizon, but I'm just curious if they have selected anyone for the program yet with regard to Google Fiber.


We signed up early last month but haven't heard anything.

User avatar
cknab1
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 672
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:00 pm
Location: Crown Center
Contact:

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby cknab1 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:33 pm

I signed up about three weeks ago and haven't heard anything back.

earthling
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2118
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby earthling » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:20 pm

Also signed up, no word.

mykn
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby mykn » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:01 pm

flyingember wrote:
pash wrote:Google and OP finally cut a deal a couple of days ago, one that's apparently identical to the one OP rejected last year. See http://www.kansascity.com/news/governme ... 76669.html

(It's mentioned in the Star article you posted yesterday that the deal was indeed signed on Monday.)


Google had all the power on this one.


Incidentally, if you see a google fiber box and they haven't planted bushes or put a small fence around it, open a 311 ticket using this ordinance. and it's not just Google to be fair, AT&T, KCPL, etc would fall under this. I plan to liberally.

88-425-08-B

If above-ground utility cabinets are installed in an existing neighborhood (i.e., where principal buildings already exist on the subject lot), the utility provider is responsible for installation of required screening. Requirements for screening apply to new cabinets, as well as replacement of existing cabinets. The city planning and development director is authorized to approve alternative screening requirements or to waive screening requirements when soil conditions or other site constraints prevent strict compliance with otherwise applicable screening standards.


Someone ran into the one at 10th and Baltimore. A great way to get them to put it below ground.

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4646
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:55 pm

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby NDTeve » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:04 am

when are the new boxes/software coming out? i'm putting off getting my own router but can't hold off much longer

earthling
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2118
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby earthling » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:16 am

Might be a while because they are just now signing up people to beta test and no word on that yet. Might be next year before new boxes are rolled out to general users at this rate - though Google seems to have rapid test cycles with software, not sure about hardware.

From a couple pages back, looks like the new TV Box might have AC WiFi so new Net box likely will too. Also MoCA 2.0 support is good news as that can do near a Gbit over coax. HDMI 1.4 implies they are prepping for 4K/UHD TV.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-06/2nd ... s-release/

bobbyhawks
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3396
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:19 pm

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby bobbyhawks » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:30 am

earthling wrote:Might be a while because they are just now signing up people to beta test and no word on that yet. Might be next year before new boxes are rolled out to general users at this rate - though Google seems to have rapid test cycles with software, not sure about hardware.

From a couple pages back, looks like the new TV Box might have AC WiFi so new Net box likely will too. Also MoCA 2.0 support is good news as that can do near a Gbit over coax. HDMI 1.4 implies they are prepping for 4K/UHD TV.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-06/2nd ... s-release/

I'm guessing sometime this fall for the new hardware. It would make sense for them to release a new network box along with the new TV boxes, especially if they will all be AC capable. Google went out of their way to say that Android TV could be rolled out on set-top boxes during the I/O conference, which normally implies a device with a TV tuner in it. I'd also imagine they would really like to demonstrate the potential as soon as possible. The entire rollout of Android L and Android TV sounds like it may be in the fall or even slightly earlier. Philips is releasing a TV with Anroid TV built in by Q3 of this year, so I have my fingers crossed. I'm also holding off on an HTPC purchase depending on what comes up in the next few months.

KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:24 am
Location: River Market

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby KCtonic » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:50 pm

Those who sign up for Google Fiber 6/20 or after no longer get the free Nexus 7 tablet

https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... TkHezBOTRI

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5609
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: River Market
Contact:

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby scooterj » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:21 pm

KCtonic wrote:Those who sign up for Google Fiber 6/20 or after no longer get the free Nexus 7 tablet

https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... TkHezBOTRI


I never once used mine when I had Google Fiber. When I moved and returned everything to Google, the technician's fingerprints were still the only fingerprints on it. :)

KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:24 am
Location: River Market

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby KCtonic » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:24 pm

scooterj wrote:
KCtonic wrote:Those who sign up for Google Fiber 6/20 or after no longer get the free Nexus 7 tablet

https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... TkHezBOTRI


I never once used mine when I had Google Fiber. When I moved and returned everything to Google, the technician's fingerprints were still the only fingerprints on it. :)

I use mine once in a while when browsing channels, but mostly use the bluetooth remote for TV control. I do use it... as a tablet though. Stuff like basic browsing, apps etc.

On a related note, at what point do you own the devices you are paying for with Google Fiber?

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5609
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: River Market
Contact:

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby scooterj » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:34 pm

KCtonic wrote:On a related note, at what point do you own the devices you are paying for with Google Fiber?



When I returned them I was given the option of buying them, they are prorated based on how many months of service. If I remember right it takes 2 years to own them outright.

KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:24 am
Location: River Market

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby KCtonic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:23 pm

Couple of tidbits for Google Fiber TV subscribers:

You can now go to http://www.zap2it.com TV listings and select your zip code and then see Google Fiber TV listings for all channels. This is also helpful for anyone who might use Slingbox with Google Fiber TV.

I don't think all of this has been announced yet, but Starting August 14th in both KC & Provo,
CTN Network (Christian TV Network) will be added :roll:
SEC Network will be added to regular TV package (this was announced previously)
ESPN Buzzer Beater/ESPN Goal Line moves from regular TV package to Sports Plus package (presumably to help pay for SEC Network addition)
GoITV Spanish Language Version being added to Hispanic package (GoITV English Version will remain part of Sports Plus Package)

kcjak
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby kcjak » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:28 pm

Just got an email from Google Fiber saying we've been selected into their test program. Test includes replacement of the hardware, which will combine the network box and storage box into a single unit, as well as upgrade of WIFI to 802.11ac. New Google Fiber app, as well, but currently supported only on Android platform.

Think we'll accept, but will have some binge viewing ahead since all DVR'd shows will be long during the transition.

bobbyhawks
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3396
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:19 pm

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Postby bobbyhawks » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:38 pm

kcjak wrote:Just got an email from Google Fiber saying we've been selected into their test program. Test includes replacement of the hardware, which will combine the network box and storage box into a single unit, as well as upgrade of WIFI to 802.11ac. New Google Fiber app, as well, but currently supported only on Android platform.

Think we'll accept, but will have some binge viewing ahead since all DVR'd shows will be long during the transition.

Wow. There must be some agreement in place not to transfer shows from one DVR to another. That seems like a pretty basic thing that Google could support for people swapping out DVRs. Wireless AC is very encouraging. I'll be interested to hear if there are new apps or a new interface in the TV box itself.


Return to “General Kansas City”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest