Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by lock+load »

earthling wrote:Anyone able to get over 400Mbps on Windows hardwired? I have a modern Haswell/Core i7 based laptop that can get over 900Mbps on Linux but only 400 or so on Win8 - exact same hardware. Maybe it's poor Windows drivers for that laptop but I have yet to see any Windows computer get much over 400.
I have got in the 800s with Windows 8.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Ah, curious. Might be bad Win drivers for my Win8 laptop however I also have a Win7 midrange netbook than can only 200Mbps hardwired while Linux booted on same hardware is more than double that. Hmm.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

earthling wrote:Ah, curious. Might be bad Win drivers for my Win8 laptop however I also have a Win7 midrange netbook than can only 200Mbps hardwired while Linux booted on same hardware is more than double that. Hmm.
Are you running out of the network box on that Win7 device? The ethernet jack on the TV box is only supposed to get 200 Mbps.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Netbox hardwired, am well aware of TV box limit. Like I said, more than double on Linux with same config.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:Netbox hardwired, am well aware of TV box limit. Like I said, more than double on Linux with same config.
so since you use linux I will assume you are testing with

the same cable
same card manufacturer
same NIC settings
same traffic (like transfer the same file to the same destination using the same program common to both platforms)
newest driver for both OSs -OR- if there's a driver version that has both OSs, that
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

My neighborhood is in KCMO next to Liberty. The GF conduit installers just came through my street over the weekend installing the conduit and junction boxes in the ground. Next up will be actual fiber being run through the conduit. Anyone know if they do that separately from running fiber from the boxes to the homes?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

SWFan wrote:My neighborhood is in KCMO next to Liberty. The GF conduit installers just came through my street over the weekend installing the conduit and junction boxes in the ground. Next up will be actual fiber being run through the conduit. Anyone know if they do that separately from running fiber from the boxes to the homes?
I would count on it being seperate

the junction they doubtless run a bundle of fiber of a known length that they then terminate/splice at the junction box

for each home they have variable lengths with a single pair which takes different techniques.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

So google started digging in my yard today. How long should it take for my service to be up and going? The guy on the phone said October but I can't imagine it would take that long to flip a switch.

How long did it take for you all after they began digging in your yards?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mister816 wrote:So google started digging in my yard today. How long should it take for my service to be up and going? The guy on the phone said October but I can't imagine it would take that long to flip a switch.

they emailed me saying it will take multiple months
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

This shows a map of apts/condos with Google Fiber. It's not nearly up to date as in my neighborhood it shows my building but not several buildings around me that I know for sure have it.

https://fiber.google.com/propertymanage ... partments/
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

mister816 wrote:So google started digging in my yard today. How long should it take for my service to be up and going? The guy on the phone said October but I can't imagine it would take that long to flip a switch.

If this is the first digging you've seen, then all they are running is orange conduit. Later they will run the actual fiber. Our neighborhood has had the conduit installation going on from late Feb through now. No one in our neighborhood has GF just yet. The email I got after the June 19th cutoff for our neighborhhood said "months" to an actual install date.

I did not on the edge of our neighborhood where they installed the caps to the large junction box holes over the weekend had guys sitting under tents with computers hooked up. And the caps now had a metal structure above ground. So I'm guessing fiber has been run to the junction boxes that will feed into our neighborhood at some point.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

SWFan wrote:I did not on the edge of our neighborhood where they installed the caps to the large junction box holes over the weekend had guys sitting under tents with computers hooked up. And the caps now had a metal structure above ground. So I'm guessing fiber has been run to the junction boxes that will feed into our neighborhood at some point.
your neighborhood is months behind mine. we're had the above ground boxes since March/April.

The above ground boxes were put in months before they actually ran fiber to them.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Pork Chop wrote:
swid wrote:Reran the numbers now that the last round of signups ended yesterday:

Code: Select all

Fiberhood Name	Total Households	% Required	Number Registered	Invites Needed	Current %	% of Goal
Total KCMO C     100672	          8.60%	     28318               8653		       28.13%	   327.26%
Total KCK	  	55868           	9.64%     	10752            	5388          	19.25%   	199.55%
Total KCMO S  	65453	           8.58%     	16692            	5618 	      	25.50%	   297.12%
Total KCMO NW 	36806	           12.25%	    12580	            4508	       	34.18%   	279.06%
Total KCMO NE 	53154	           10.82%	    19463	            5753	       	36.62%   	338.31%

Thanks for providing this data.
Nearly 90K and this likely doesn't include the 400+ buildings where you don't have to register (though many have), another potential 15K+ subscriptions.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

My daughter in Grandview is now connected.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:
Pork Chop wrote:
swid wrote:Reran the numbers now that the last round of signups ended yesterday:

Code: Select all

Fiberhood Name	Total Households	% Required	Number Registered	Invites Needed	Current %	% of Goal
Total KCMO C     100672	          8.60%	     28318               8653		       28.13%	   327.26%
Total KCK	  	55868           	9.64%     	10752            	5388          	19.25%   	199.55%
Total KCMO S  	65453	           8.58%     	16692            	5618 	      	25.50%	   297.12%
Total KCMO NW 	36806	           12.25%	    12580	            4508	       	34.18%   	279.06%
Total KCMO NE 	53154	           10.82%	    19463	            5753	       	36.62%   	338.31%

Thanks for providing this data.
Nearly 90K and this likely doesn't include the 400+ buildings where you don't have to register (though many have), another potential 15K+ subscriptions.
I bet the average multi-tenant building is 12-15 units. there's a huge number of 3-story ones in the northland with 24 per. (three stories, two sides, two units per side per floor)

and given there's not going to be 100% coverage, I'd guess 5000 more from multi-tenant is on the high side
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Google Fiber signups underway in Westwood, Westwood Hills, Mission Woods, Roeland Park
Google also said that customers in Kansas City, Kan., and central Kansas City who live in neighborhoods where the firm has already decided to sell service have another chance to sign contracts. Residents there have until Aug. 7 to buy the service.
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

Google Fiber website has an update regarding timing in Johnson County.

Johnson County (excluding OP and those 3 cities that have signups running right now) will have signups before the end of this year (2014).

Overland Park signups will be sometime next year (2015).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

davidc wrote:Google Fiber website has an update regarding timing in Johnson County.

Johnson County (excluding OP and those 3 cities that have signups running right now) will have signups before the end of this year (2014).

Overland Park signups will be sometime next year (2015).
really, where?

edit, I see. not the map but the headers above it added OP

because the rest of JoCo was announced back in February