Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by SWFan »

My wife just texted me that the Google Fiber folks are at our house running fiber from the street to the side of our house. This is in the Northland near Liberty.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

Just got an email from GF moving me to the scheduled status. Picked Monday December 22nd for installation.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

We're supposed to be early next year. I'm ready to kill Time Warner.

they're so scared they came out and increased our download speed (I wanted upload speed...) and cut our bill with a new promo. too little too late
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

pash wrote:Anybody want a tip about a super-secret, life-saving feature of the TV service?

You can enter text in search fields using the number pad on the remote. The TV box has predictive text-entry, just like T9 on ye olde cellular telephones of lore.

So to search for the Chiefs game, press the blue magnifying glass button and then hit 2-4-4-3-3-7. It's approximately one gazillion times faster and less fiddly than scrolling around the on-screen alphabet box.
Great tip! More explanation can be found on Google Fiber's super-secret help document about search here:
(info on the T9 entry method near the end of that page)
https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/2448723#search
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

flyingember wrote:We're supposed to be early next year. I'm ready to kill Time Warner.

they're so scared they came out and increased our download speed (I wanted upload speed...) and cut our bill with a new promo. too little too late
Yep, same experience here, they called and offered me faster speeds for no additional cost and no commitment. But they still wouldn't offer a faster upload speed than the 5Mbps I'm getting. With GF I'm really more looking forward to the upload speed increase since I do various things from home to work servers and services.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

SWFan wrote:
flyingember wrote:We're supposed to be early next year. I'm ready to kill Time Warner.

Yep, same experience here, they called and offered me faster speeds for no additional cost and no commitment. But they still wouldn't offer a faster upload speed than the 5Mbps I'm getting. With GF I'm really more looking forward to the upload speed increase since I do various things from home to work servers and services.
Same thing happened with us. We spent the last 9 months reading the fine print of the TW bill to make sure that they didn't slip in a contract extension or something crazy. Trust level: 0.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

Our GF was installed the Monday right before Christmas. Guy showed up on time, install took about an hour and service has worked fine since. I get around 930Mbps up and down pretty consistently. We just use antenna for TV, so I can't comment on the TV side of the service. But so far the Internet side has met my expectations.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

http://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/forge ... id=sf01002

Has this been posted elsewhere?
KC is sixth in a seven-city list of Silicon Valley alternatives. They cite its 'startup village.' I'm not in the industry, but from a cultural, observational perspective, the kcsv seems to be a non-starter. Perhaps that'll change once their event space opens.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I posted in other thread at same time. Is not a list, its a guide book, here is the book...

http://www.amazon.com/Screw-Valley-Coas ... 1396626877
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Google is apparently starting up a wireless carrier using Sprint and Tmobile networks (as MVNO like Virgin and Ting). When the rumor first started last year, it said only in Google Fiber markets at first, so KC might be first to get it...

https://www.theinformation.com/Google-s ... ss-Carrier
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Whiny little article in the Lee's Summit Journal today. http://www.lsjournal.com/2015/01/28/125 ... fiber.html

Not sure why they're surprised that they're hitting gas lines...
studentper
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by studentper »

longviewmo wrote:Whiny little article in the Lee's Summit Journal today. http://www.lsjournal.com/2015/01/28/125 ... fiber.html

Not sure why they're surprised that they're hitting gas lines...
That article wasn't well written at all, but I think it's a problem that subcontractors weren't getting lines marked, and now their solution is to contract to mark only gas mains and not customer lines. I'd do a little more than whine about that.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Yeah, but it sounds like it's on par with how many they were hitting in KCMO when they started a couple years ago.
studentper
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by studentper »

longviewmo wrote:Yeah, but it sounds like it's on par with how many they were hitting in KCMO when they started a couple years ago.

I'm not sure that's really relevant when the current cause of hitting gas lines is subcontractors intentionally not marking those lines. It means each hit was easily preventable and should never have occurred. I understand there will always be accidents, but requesting that only gas mains and not customer lines be marked isn't acceptable.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

if you looked in the pits for the streetcar utility work you know it's a crazy maze of stuff underground

I worked one time with the guy whose job it was to mark utilities in the sidewalk. they marked a bunch of them and the group doing the actual work still found a pipe that was missed.
studentper
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by studentper »

flyingember wrote:if you looked in the pits for the streetcar utility work you know it's a crazy maze of stuff underground

I worked one time with the guy whose job it was to mark utilities in the sidewalk. they marked a bunch of them and the group doing the actual work still found a pipe that was missed.
I agree completely. Nobody is perfect. However, the issue in Lee's Summit, according to the article, is that subcontractors are intentionally not searching for and marking gas lines running to customer buildings, which is very different than missing one pipe in a maze of utilities.
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

Lee's Summit signups begin in March (announced on Google Fiber blog).

No word yet on the rest of Johnson County.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »