Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by DaveKCMO »

having used many methods for watching netflix (apple TV, laptop via cable, ipad via cable, blu-ray, tivo), this was by far the easiest for the main TV.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:my chromecast rocks. setup was a breeze and works great in my chrome mac browser. GET ONE.
Mine should arrive in next couple days.

I've been looking into the development kit and licensing and am really impressed with this. Most think it's just another Roku/AppleTV and that is what the first apps can do but the potential is way beyond that. The architecture is very slick and very simple yet can do some very complex things that would otherwise be hard to pull off.

The real product is the DIAL protocol developed by Netflix/Google. There is no license fee. Google probably isn't as interested in the dongle itself even though it's still useful, they want to get this protocol into future TVs. Roku could put the DIAL protocol in future devices, possibly even upgrade recent devices and add a Chromecast channel. What Google gets out of it is that then you're more likely to use the Chrome browser and their services along with it.

The APIs appear to be rich enough to do far more complex interaction between TV and multiple devices. It's not just about video and webcasting.

Multiple devices can connect so maybe eventually could do things like play a card game that needs to hide cards from view. The TV shows playing table, each tablet or phone shows player cards privately. Maybe a simplistic/impractical example but there are opportunities to do things like this with rich APIs. I've got a bunch of other ideas using multiple devices but keeping to myself for now.

And as SmartTV makers include this protocol, it will be easier for them to put out tablet/phone apps that control all aspects of the TV setup, imagine being able to 'slide' the brightness or contrast of the TV from tablet or phone. Actually some SmartTV's have this today but DIAL/SSDP will make much easier to have a common app that just needs the model of TV (like universal remotes).

The DIAL and SSDP protocols and APIs being license free are what will set this apart from other streaming devices. Once this becomes standard on SmartTVs and developers create rich interactive apps between TV and devices, it will become more obvious this isn't just another Roku or AppleTV/Airplay, which is proprietary.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

pash wrote:By the way, in case anyone else was wondering, I emailed the Google Fiber folks to ask whether they plan to offer an 802.11ac WAP. Here's the reply:
At this point we haven't been notified of any change to offer WAP with 802.11ac wi-fi. If it does happen, it likely won't be any time soon.
Ouch. I've heard some folks say that the stock WAP from Google is not very good. I plan to buy an AC router and to disable the Google-provided wireless.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

let's cut through the tech-talk for the novices here and answer me this:

is the TV service good and worth it? we have been cable-free for 2 years, but are considering getting it again with google.

the alternative is to get the gigabit internet-only package and continue to watch netflix, etc. - possibly adding a roku unit.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

chrizow wrote:let's cut through the tech-talk for the novices here and answer me this:

is the TV service good and worth it? we have been cable-free for 2 years, but are considering getting it again with google.

the alternative is to get the gigabit internet-only package and continue to watch netflix, etc. - possibly adding a roku unit.

I've got the Gigabit service now but I'm thinking about making the switch to TV as well...mostly so I can watch European soccer.

My only complaint with Gigabit is the range and speed of the Wifi....though I imagine part of the problem are my slow devices. I'll be purchasing the Chromcast dongle as an upgrade to my not-so-smart "smart" TV. I think that will make Neflix and Hulu work better.

As a side note, I've found the 1 terabyte Google drive to be really useful. I moved nearly all my files there, including movies, photos, etc., and can now access and edit them anywhere.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Google Fiber TV adds a new Sports Plus package
Today, we’re launching our new Sports Plus package, currently featuring 12 networks all for $10/month (plus tax).
For our Kansas City customers, that means you can get:
NFL RedZone
MLB Network Strike Zone
Longhorn Network
TVG
Pac-12 Networks (7 channels)
GolTV (English Only)
Fight Now TV
Outside TV
One World Sports
World Fishing Network
HRTV
Universal Sports Network
via http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/sports.html
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

They were laying fiber across 63rd street in Raytown yesterday and down Noland rd. toward Knobtown.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote:They were laying fiber across 63rd street in Raytown yesterday and down Noland rd. toward Knobtown.
are you sure it was Google contractors? remember, every single consumer telco in KC uses fiber and there's well over a dozen different companies beyond them
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Prairie Village to vote on Google Fiber agreement

http://pvkansas.com/Modules/ShowDocumen ... entid=3116
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

flyingember wrote:
shinatoo wrote:They were laying fiber across 63rd street in Raytown yesterday and down Noland rd. toward Knobtown.
are you sure it was Google contractors? remember, every single consumer telco in KC uses fiber and there's well over a dozen different companies beyond them
Atlantic Engineering, they hold the Google contract.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote:
flyingember wrote:
Atlantic Engineering, they hold the Google contract.
ECCC is who's doing the actual conduit install in downtown. it says on their bright yellow safety jackets

they're jackhammering a trench down 900 block of Baltimore as I write this
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Just received this e-mail from Google Fiber:
Today, we’re excited to announce the launch of VUDU http://www.vudu.com/ on the Google Fiber TV box. VUDU is a video-on-demand service that allows users to rent or purchase thousands of movies and TV shows and watch the content on a wide variety of devices including the Google Fiber TV Box. VUDU will join Netflix in our Google Fiber TV menu.
Google Fiber TV customers can access VUDU on the Google Fiber TV Box by navigating to the app icon in the ‘More’ section in the TV menu. You will need to sign-in to your VUDU account, and if you don’t have an account, it’s easy to create one at VUDU.com.

Once you’re signed in, you’ll be able to search for movies and show titles using the Search feature on your Google Fiber TV. After you select a VUDU title, the TV Box will play your VUDU content on your TV. The Google Fiber mobile app can also search for VUDU content and play it on your TV or mobile device.

Happy watching!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

They need to add Chromecast directly to the Fiber TV Box, could possibly be just a software upgrade if already Linux-based.
KSTHANE
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KSTHANE »

I am disappointed that secondary boxes can't be wireless, even if just for DVR'd programs. If U-Verse has the technology to allow it, I would think Google would have it too. Anyone know why this option isn't available on secondary boxes? I'm not looking forward to seeing how the Google installation guys are going to hook up my basement TV where there are no existing connections.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

KSTHANE wrote:I am disappointed that secondary boxes can't be wireless, even if just for DVR'd programs. If U-Verse has the technology to allow it, I would think Google would have it too. Anyone know why this option isn't available on secondary boxes? I'm not looking forward to seeing how the Google installation guys are going to hook up my basement TV where there are no existing connections.
It has nothing to do with whether they have the "technology" to do it. The SageTV product that Google Fiber TV is based on (it actually is just a slightly newer version of SageTV) DOES have wireless capability - I used WiFi on one of my TV boxes for the past several years in my home matter of fact. The problem is, it's wildly unreliable for HD content depending on each individual situation such as WiFi signal strength in given location. It worked for me some of the time, but not all of the time and not in every room.

I say all of that just to demonstrate the reason I think they chose not to offer it - they worry that it will cause people complaining about "bad TV service" because it won't work consistently across their customer base.

In this thread in the SageTV forums users talk about the good and the bad of wireless boxes: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60161
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

For those who have a Chromecast dongle and Android phone/tablet, there is a new app called AirCast that will send most any media stored on Android device. Works great, even 1080p mkv videos. Says it only works with a few media apps but I find that it works with most any app that has a Share menu, including a file browser. It's not officially in the Market yet but can be side loaded.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/18 ... streaming/
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

Pork Chop wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:got the engineering docs for our building yesterday!
How long did it take to get the engineering docs from the time your HOA signed the Google Fiber contract for the building?
Our building hit a snag on Google Fiber. Their engineering documents had them running the fiber in our hallways and they stated if our HOA wanted to run it above the ceiling (where TWC is), it would be double the cost. Pretty outrageous to me. What company would think it would be ok to run cabling in the hallways? Not sure who is at fault for not having this come up at the start of the conversation, but this is a big miss in my opinion.
Last edited by Pork Chop on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.