Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by KCtonic »

New deadlines for choosing your google fiber plan. Including my River Market!
http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/201 ... ds-on.html

Kansas deadlines
Miland Pump Station - Thursday, July 25
Silver City - Thursday, July 25
Stony Point North - Thursday, July 25
Junction School - Thursday, July 25
Schlagle High School - Thursday, July 25

Missouri deadlines
Ilus W. Davis Park - Thursday, July 25
Valentine - Thursday, July 25
Stratford Gardens - Thursday, July 25
Holmes Park - Thursday, July 25
River Market - Thursday, July 25
Oak Meyer Gardens - Thursday, July 25
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Google rollout schedule now shows Xroads as 'in progress'. Anyone know of specific buildings getting it, rental or condo...

https://fiber.google.com/cities/kcmo/#h ... ssmocrdf01
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

the schedule currently shows the KCK and urban KC done by fall. that's a good sign for 2014 being south/north KC. wonder if they'll do another rush this fall?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

I'm signed up and should be getting connected in 4-6 weeks (Armour Hills). Anyone already have it and want to provide a review of installation process and how things are going with the new service so far?
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

kucer wrote:I'm signed up and should be getting connected in 4-6 weeks (Armour Hills). Anyone already have it and want to provide a review of installation process and how things are going with the new service so far?

The only work going on so far around my neck of the woods is fiber being trenched in front of the Manhattan and now the Metropolitan. I hope that means that construction within the buildings will happen very soon.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Construction should be starting on The View in the next couple days as well.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Pork Chop wrote:
kucer wrote:I'm signed up and should be getting connected in 4-6 weeks (Armour Hills). Anyone already have it and want to provide a review of installation process and how things are going with the new service so far?

The only work going on so far around my neck of the woods is fiber being trenched in front of the Manhattan and now the Metropolitan. I hope that means that construction within the buildings will happen very soon.
trenching can be weeks to month before actual installation in a building.

I've been involved with getting telcos access into a building. the process was in no way fast
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

flyingember wrote:
Pork Chop wrote:

trenching can be weeks to month before actual installation in a building.

I've been involved with getting telcos access into a building. the process was in no way fast
The construction wasn't fast or the telco wasn't fast or getting the building owner to sign on the dotted line wasn't fast or all of the above?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i am excited about google fiber and plan to sign up when they get to our neighborhood in a couple months, but i am surprised how much google seems to be making this up as they go along and cannot respond to basic questions.

for example, as you all know they are giving new "fiberhoods" a limited window in which to pick a plan. that's fine, but what if the family at X address doesn't sign up, then puts their house on the market next year. if i buy that house and want google fiber service, google still hasn't decided whether i can do that. what?! i get that they want people to sign up now and do not want to encourage people to sit and wait, but it's ridiculous to even suggest that the service will forever be limited to the homes that are hooked up during the initial, experimental rollout.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chrizow wrote: if i buy that house and want google fiber service, google still hasn't decided whether i can do that. what?! i get that they want people to sign up now and do not want to encourage people to sit and wait, but it's ridiculous to even suggest that the service will forever be limited to the homes that are hooked up during the initial, experimental rollout.
We signed the contract on a home the day the window to sign up closed for our neighborhood. Google (actually some kid answering phones for google) assured me there would be another sign up period in "the next couple months". He made it sound like after the initial rounds of installation appointments are done for a specific neighborhood there would be another sign up. Grain of salt.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I don't like it, but it is a good business decision as far as achieving conversions goes. If people feel like they are passing up a once in a lifetime opportunity to be way ahead of the curve, they are more likely to jump on the bandwagon and be tied to Google for a few years. Then, after a few months, Google opens up for another round, and the jealous neighbors, who wouldn't have signed up immediately anyhow, sign up.

If people feel they have a lot of time, many who are not wowed by the internet speeds (older demographic) will be in a wait and see mode as they're more likely to be converted through testimonial.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Pork Chop wrote:
The construction wasn't fast or the telco wasn't fast or getting the building owner to sign on the dotted line wasn't fast or all of the above?
trenching is just the first step of many

they (telcos) don't actually run cable in the trench any more, that's just the conduit install.

then they need to run cable to the junction if they haven't, run it into the building from there, build the dmarc, test and only then pull to each unit
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

flyingember wrote:
Pork Chop wrote:
trenching is just the first step of many

they (telcos) don't actually run cable in the trench any more, that's just the conduit install.

then they need to run cable to the junction if they haven't, run it into the building from there, build the dmarc, test and only then pull to each unit
That's fine, "soon" to me meant getting started in my building.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Had a friend post on Facebook inquiring about GoogleTV about signing up for it. Those who had GoogleTv really didn't like it for various reasons, switched back or wanted to go back to ATT UVerse. Nobody commented on Google Fiber.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Had a friend post on Facebook inquiring about GoogleTV about signing up for it. Those who had GoogleTv really didn't like it for various reasons, switched back or wanted to go back to ATT UVerse. Nobody commented on Google Fiber.
What various reasons? How many had google Fiber already?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I am not impressed with google tv. It certainly is not fast. No live tv option. No recall button.
will be switching back to ATT U Verse. I agree with ****** comments. Google Fiber TV has numerous "delays". Yes, the screen just freezes. Channels "black out" at random times. Had TWC and switched to ATT U Verse 2 years ago. That was a HUGE improvement. Switching to Google Fiber has definitely been a step back.
Also, you max out at 4 boxes with Google Fiber. So a 4 bedroom house with a living room and office mist make choices on who gets a signal. We currently have 3 TVs not connected to cable due to the 4 box limit.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

The TV component to google fiber is something I know something about. Google purchased SageTV a while back and that is the "insides" of the TV product Google is using for Google Fiber TV.
aknowledgeableperson wrote:
I am not impressed with google tv. It certainly is not fast. No live tv option. No recall button.
Having used Google Fiber TV before it became Google Fiber TV, I had to laugh at those comments. No live TV? Really?

Unless I'm misunderstanding their issue, LiveTV is most definitely something they should have. If you have a chance, send your facebook friend to this link. Hopefully that will help them out. https://support.google.com/fiber/answer ... ic=2430726

Not sure what they mean by recall button, but I'm assuming they might mean "previous channel???" If so, there is a button on the remote called "prev" It's function is described as "While watching TV, shows the list of previously viewed channels, and you can quickly switch to any channel listed. While viewing information, switches to the previous page of information."
https://support.google.com/fiber/answer ... ic=2624919

Hope that might help them out. The other issues they are having sound strange to me as well, but it's probably something that needs a tech to come to their house. Strange.

PS. The four-box maximum seems to be a legitimate issue for bigger households. I wonder why Google is doing that as I know it isn't a hardware or software issue. On the predecessor to the TV product (SageTV) I had five boxes at a time and I know others with more.
http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... aIcTxONlvY
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Unless it is a halfway house, 7 TVs? Jeez.