Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by longviewmo »

justin8216 wrote:
flyingember wrote:Weather is going to drive how quickly things move along at this point.

There's three months of fall installation ahead if they get going ASAP. If they can do more this winter with nice weather that really will speed up the areas behind it.
The highest percentage uptakes were in Rosedale and Western KC, KS so I think they will start in those 2 places.

I can see western KC, KS being a priority because I would imagine that nearly everyone out there will be getting the $120 TV package. The sooner Google gets them installed the sooner they can start collecting that revenue.

I envision they will build-out west KC KS then work their way east from there. Simultaneously they will hook up Rosedale and then work their way West to Argentine and then Turner untill they get KC, KS south of the river completely hooked up.

I'm interested to see what kind of impact Google Fiber will have on home values in KC, KS.

As of right now an identical suburban house in the Kansas City, KS part of the Shawnee Mission area is worth may be $25,000 less than the same house in Jonson County's part of the Shawnee Mission area. Will Kansas City, KS having Google fiber level that out?????
I don't think they'll randomly hop around the city installing. How many people signed up in Western KCK anyways? Even if it was something like 2,000, getting $240k is still very little in the grand scheme of things for Google.

It will have little to no impact on home values. Internet access doesn't matter to a portion of the population (think old people), and to a lot more, they don't use it enough to make having access beyond your basic broadband a big factor in deciding where they live. It's obviously coming to other parts of town at some point. Google won't say when exactly, but unless they say "Google Fiber is never coming to OP, etc.", I don't see any reason to believe it will do anything to home values. They're already expanding to JoCo through those little NE burbs, anyways.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

The districts in western KCK were all 25% fiberhoods. As a result, they came out on top as far as rankings. Google has said that at least some part of the decision of where to go first is going to be based on ranking. That being said, Hanover Heights, adjacent to the Med Center, was neck-and-neck with Dubs Dread in western KCK. The Rosedale fiberhoods are also critical for getting KU Med hooked up, which was one of the main and most important recipients for fiber, as well as the fiberhoods adjacent to the Google Fiber HQ. So I don't think they'll randomly hop around, either, but the approach of starting at the ends and working their way to the middle makes sense to me.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

longviewmo wrote:It will have little to no impact on home values. Internet access doesn't matter to a portion of the population (think old people), and to a lot more, they don't use it enough to make having access beyond your basic broadband a big factor in deciding where they live. It's obviously coming to other parts of town at some point. Google won't say when exactly, but unless they say "Google Fiber is never coming to OP, etc.", I don't see any reason to believe it will do anything to home values. They're already expanding to JoCo through those little NE burbs, anyways.
Google claimed $2k to $5k increase in home values from having fiber. Even though old people don't care about fiber, the fiber service makes these homes more attractive to a larger number of people, both in fiberless hoods in KC and from out of town. A decision to live in KC or Lawrence could be bolstered by having access to the fastest speed for the price in the country (and one of the best in the world). The fiber activity makes KC more attractive to any outsider considering a move, and therefore one would expect to see a bump to those houses with the service installed. I don't know that I agree with Google's numbers, and it is hard to say what value the service will hold in 3 or 5 years, but right now it is like a three car garage. Most people have no need for a three car garage, but it still ads value to the house because it is something admired by a lot of people.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Today Google revealed some additional channels to the TV lineup now that negotiations with the all-mighty ABC/ESPN empire is finally complete:

ABC Family, ABC News Now, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, ESPN, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, Longhorn Network, Ovation, SOAPnet, TBN, TBN Enlace, Velocity

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/...l-lineup.html?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KCtonic wrote:Today Google revealed some additional channels to the TV lineup now that negotiations with the all-mighty ABC/ESPN empire is finally complete:

ABC Family, ABC News Now, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, ESPN, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, Longhorn Network, Ovation, SOAPnet, TBN, TBN Enlace, Velocity

It's pretty much down to Fox and Turner now.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtonic wrote:Today Google revealed some additional channels to the TV lineup now that negotiations with the all-mighty ABC/ESPN empire is finally complete:

And there was much rejoicing.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:

I expect Fox and even Turner to come around before the first install. Time will tell, but Google is taking the TV side of this very seriously. ESPN was never an "if", it was always a when question. Anyone notice they even picked up the lowly longhorn network? That's not even available in most Texas homes for goodness sake!
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Also still lacking AMC
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:

My guess is that they knew they would not get the first hoods to enroll in TV withouth ESPN, but knew they could dangle a few other channels out there with everyone assuming they will be a part of the final package. Essentially, they were forced to come to an agreement with ESPN to meet tomorrow's deadline. There is no way they would begin enrollment without them. I wouldn't be shocked if Turner and Fox are announced by tomorrow, but I think people are much more willing to assume those channels will come into play than they were with ESPN. They haven't yet updated the info in the "Plans and Pricing" section, so it is possible that a few announcements will be made prior to tomorrow's Fiberhood ranking and implementation schedule.
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

ESPN is what my husband was waiting for. I'll find another way to get my Walking Dead fix.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Is just a matter of time to get the rest. Is more surprising Google has this many channels lined up before having any TV customers.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

ChandraNH wrote: I'll find another way to get my Walking Dead fix.

****WAY OFF TOPIC***

Awesome show. I watched the first season on Netflix and I had to buy the rest of the episodes for Season 2 from Amazon the day after they aired (I don't have cable). I never do that, I usually wait for episodes to be released on Netflix. I just couldn't do that with this show.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

earthling wrote:^Is just a matter of time to get the rest. Is more surprising Google has this many channels lined up before having any TV customers.
Agreed.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Pork Chop wrote:

****WAY OFF TOPIC***

Awesome show. I watched the first season on Netflix and I had to buy the rest of the episodes for Season 2 from Amazon the day after they aired (I don't have cable). I never do that, I usually wait for episodes to be released on Netflix. I just couldn't do that with this show.
I spent most of Season 2 fast-forwarding through bad acting and annoying character interactions, hoping that certain characters would die, and wondering why the writers have them stuck on an old farm that is, what, an hour away from Atlanta? So much for searching for help. Also, I find it annoying that the grass is nicely mown and fields are tended in a lot of the scenery. The tease for Season 3 has my hopes up, though, and some of the crappy characters are now dead.

That said, AMC has some of the few shows I am willing to pay for per episode in Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Is there any mention of ESPN 3 access? Perhaps that will be negotiated later, but it would be pretty fantastic if Google could throw an ESPN 3 and HBO Go app, etc., into the TV unit. Perhaps this can be accomplished by a throw from the tablet to the TV.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

bobbyhawks wrote:
Pork Chop wrote:

****WAY OFF TOPIC***

I spent most of Season 2 fast-forwarding through bad acting and annoying character interactions, hoping that certain characters would die, and wondering why the writers have them stuck on an old farm that is, what, an hour away from Atlanta? So much for searching for help. Also, I find it annoying that the grass is nicely mown and fields are tended in a lot of the scenery. The tease for Season 3 has my hopes up, though, and some of the crappy characters are now dead.

Season 2 was not as good as season 1, I agree and some of the characters are not that good (Carl), but overall I still loved the show last season.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

longviewmo wrote:
justin8216 wrote:
flyingember wrote:Weather is going to drive how quickly things move along at this point.

There's three months of fall installation ahead if they get going ASAP. If they can do more this winter with nice weather that really will speed up the areas behind it.
The highest percentage uptakes were in Rosedale and Western KC, KS so I think they will start in those 2 places.

I can see western KC, KS being a priority because I would imagine that nearly everyone out there will be getting the $120 TV package. The sooner Google gets them installed the sooner they can start collecting that revenue.

I envision they will build-out west KC KS then work their way east from there. Simultaneously they will hook up Rosedale and then work their way West to Argentine and then Turner untill they get KC, KS south of the river completely hooked up.

I'm interested to see what kind of impact Google Fiber will have on home values in KC, KS.

As of right now an identical suburban house in the Kansas City, KS part of the Shawnee Mission area is worth may be $25,000 less than the same house in Jonson County's part of the Shawnee Mission area. Will Kansas City, KS having Google fiber level that out?????
I don't think they'll randomly hop around the city installing. How many people signed up in Western KCK anyways? Even if it was something like 2,000, getting $240k is still very little in the grand scheme of things for Google.

It will have little to no impact on home values. Internet access doesn't matter to a portion of the population (think old people), and to a lot more, they don't use it enough to make having access beyond your basic broadband a big factor in deciding where they live. It's obviously coming to other parts of town at some point. Google won't say when exactly, but unless they say "Google Fiber is never coming to OP, etc.", I don't see any reason to believe it will do anything to home values. They're already expanding to JoCo through those little NE burbs, anyways.

When did I say anything about hopscotching? Try reading it again, it may help sharpen your reading comprehension skills. I said start in west KC KS and work their way east. As in hook up next adjacent fibehoods.

Google said they were going to start KC KS first so my post was only referring to plans for KC KS.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

For what I consider West KCK, there's three adjacent fiberhoods disconnected from the rest of KCK and two loners on top of that. That's a lot more hopping around then just doing everything south of the Kansas River.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

They did have some of the highest preregistration numbers of any fiberhoods in KCK though. So to the extent that Google wasn't just blowing smoke, you have to factor that in.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

We were talking to three 20something musicians at a Riot Room type bar in Montreal last night. The first thing they wanted to talk about was Google Fiber. They were beaucoup envious.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/goog ... pn-disney/

Engadget confirms ESPN3, with WatchESPN and WatchDisney in the near future.

Does anyone know what time the GOOG's announcement/release of fiberhood order will be?