Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KSTHANE wrote:So what are the expectations for how long the buildout will take? If I live in KCK can I really expect to have this service hooked up within the next year?
It would be cool if they just announced "Suprise" we had the whole city wired before we started this marketing initiative. Installation and service will start next week.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
KSTHANE wrote:So what are the expectations for how long the buildout will take? If I live in KCK can I really expect to have this service hooked up within the next year?
It would be cool if they just announced "Suprise" we had the whole city wired before we started this marketing initiative. Installation and service will start next week.
that would be nice but impossible. there's no way there's a wire to every home without everyone already knowing this
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote: that would be nice but impossible. there's no way there's a wire to every home without everyone already knowing this
Are you sure?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

FangKC wrote:I wonder if Cordish has negotiated to have Google Fiber in their new apartment building at 13th and Walnut?
Google is not going to ignore people in qualified fiberhoods who don't signup during the initial rollout to the area. There may be delays while they are focused on rollouts to priority communities, but I doubt that a window of opportunity will dictate whether or not you get service into the future. While the rally was an effective marketing strategy, the uptake of homes will probably be more impacted by neighbors talking about how great the service is to other neighbors. We still have no clue what percentage of those who signed up intend to get at least the fiber internet, let alone the basic internet. A lot of people did it because they wanted it for their community, but the translation to actual conversions will be something Google cannot put restructions on once they are in an area. Time Warner has a few months to either decide to put up a fight or to declare the KC market a lost cause. I could see them deciding to build infrastructure in other markets or in JOCO to fend off Google from entering and stealing market share in those places, but for now, Google wants to get its fiber service into as many houses as possible. I'm not quite sure, but I don't see why anyone would need to "negotiate" with Google to get service to a qualified hood.

It will be interesting to see if/how Google will allow for new construction with built-in fiber networks. Will they require that wiring to each apartment unit be installed by their engineers, or will they discount apartments that run fiber themselves? There may be too many issues of quality control to use fiber installed by someone else, but Google should be laying a blueprint for all new construction if they want to minimize installation costs and win homes from the competition.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

We have some unbuilt lots in our development, and I asked one of the Google street team folks how that would work -- if the future home owners could pay for fiber as part of the home construction, then hook up to the Google network. He couldn't really help me. It does seem like kind of a no-brainer for new construction.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote:
flyingember wrote: that would be nice but impossible. there's no way there's a wire to every home without everyone already knowing this
Are you sure?
you forget the numbers of places where the electrical wiring is behind homes and fences.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

heatherkay wrote:We have some unbuilt lots in our development, and I asked one of the Google street team folks how that would work -- if the future home owners could pay for fiber as part of the home construction, then hook up to the Google network. He couldn't really help me. It does seem like kind of a no-brainer for new construction.
I also asked if I could pay the installation engineer, or whatever they are calling them, extra to snake a cable or a pull line to multiple rooms, but they were unsure if that would be a possibility. There probably isn't enough time for them to mess around with such additional demands. I'd rather not invest in fish tape and start poking random holes in my walls when a pro already at my house could do it, but perhaps I am being a bit too speed greedy considering the wireless N will be between a few hundred Mbps and ~350 Mbps. Has anyone heard any mention of the potential for a wireless 802.11AC version of the network box?

I'm worried that being in the 60 range on the KCMO side, I won't have to worry about this for a very long time. The Fiber team told me that you have to go into the fiber space to a scheduled appointment with the engineer, and they will discuss how you get the line to your house (maybe using Google Maps?) and what room you would like it in. The great thing is that it should lead to speedier, more timely installations in that people are less likely to have to wait around for four hours to see if their guy will ever show up.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

bobbyhawks wrote:
heatherkay wrote:We have some unbuilt lots in our development, and I asked one of the Google street team folks how that would work -- if the future home owners could pay for fiber as part of the home construction, then hook up to the Google network. He couldn't really help me. It does seem like kind of a no-brainer for new construction.
I also asked if I could pay the installation engineer, or whatever they are calling them, extra to snake a cable or a pull line to multiple rooms, but they were unsure if that would be a possibility. There probably isn't enough time for them to mess around with such additional demands. I'd rather not invest in fish tape and start poking random holes in my walls when a pro already at my house could do it, but perhaps I am being a bit too speed greedy considering the wireless N will be between a few hundred Mbps and ~350 Mbps. Has anyone heard any mention of the potential for a wireless 802.11AC version of the network box?

I'm worried that being in the 60 range on the KCMO side, I won't have to worry about this for a very long time. The Fiber team told me that you have to go into the fiber space to a scheduled appointment with the engineer, and they will discuss how you get the line to your house (maybe using Google Maps?) and what room you would like it in. The great thing is that it should lead to speedier, more timely installations in that people are less likely to have to wait around for four hours to see if their guy will ever show up.
I've been dealing with TWC and dish network moron independent contractor installers for several years. Most of these guys were complete idiots and couldn't care less about what they did, as long as the thing got connected and they were able to sneak away without anyone noticing they had left. In their wake, they almost always left extra holes, debris, tools and incomplete finishing work. I will be amazed if Google is able to do much better. Think of the scale and urgency of these installations. Where will they find all of these contractors and train them correctly? If their pre-registration hiccups are any indication, they/we will be seeing lots of problems. I hope I am wrong.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

bobbyhawks wrote:I also asked if I could pay the installation engineer, or whatever they are calling them, extra to snake a cable or a pull line to multiple rooms, but they were unsure if that would be a possibility. There probably isn't enough time for them to mess around with such additional demands. I'd rather not invest in fish tape and start poking random holes in my walls when a pro already at my house could do it, but perhaps I am being a bit too speed greedy considering the wireless N will be between a few hundred Mbps and ~350 Mbps. Has anyone heard any mention of the potential for a wireless 802.11AC version of the network box?

Last week the people at the fiber space told me that if you have a 3 story house (shirtwaist, e.g.), the best thing to to is to pony up for a second box on the third floor. That would guarantee fiber tv up there, and the built-in wifi would would basically act as a wireless repeater. They didn't know exactly how much the extra box would be, possibly in the $150 range.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

taxi wrote: I've been dealing with TWC and dish network moron independent contractor installers for several years. Most of these guys were complete idiots and couldn't care less about what they did, as long as the thing got connected and they were able to sneak away without anyone noticing they had left. In their wake, they almost always left extra holes, debris, tools and incomplete finishing work. I will be amazed if Google is able to do much better. Think of the scale and urgency of these installations. Where will they find all of these contractors and train them correctly? If their pre-registration hiccups are any indication, they/we will be seeing lots of problems. I hope I am wrong.
I follow Time Warner techs around. It's the only way to deal with a service call.

I know the color of the cabling into my building changed after the tech put in a rebury order. I know when the coupler changes. I know each time I get a new modem. I know that none of them are fiddling outside doing nothing. I even got one to clip the cabling that was dangling next to the power line and to cut the neighbor's cable (they don't have service, it was hung at fence height)
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

chaglang wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:I also asked if I could pay the installation engineer, or whatever they are calling them, extra to snake a cable or a pull line to multiple rooms, but they were unsure if that would be a possibility. There probably isn't enough time for them to mess around with such additional demands. I'd rather not invest in fish tape and start poking random holes in my walls when a pro already at my house could do it, but perhaps I am being a bit too speed greedy considering the wireless N will be between a few hundred Mbps and ~350 Mbps. Has anyone heard any mention of the potential for a wireless 802.11AC version of the network box?

Last week the people at the fiber space told me that if you have a 3 story house (shirtwaist, e.g.), the best thing to to is to pony up for a second box on the third floor. That would guarantee fiber tv up there, and the built-in wifi would would basically act as a wireless repeater. They didn't know exactly how much the extra box would be, possibly in the $150 range.
I'll be interested in seeing what they can do - I live in a 3-story shirtwaist and Time Warner wouldn't install anything above the second floor (although I think it may have just been the fatty installer didn't want to climb that high).
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

chaglang wrote:Last week the people at the fiber space told me that if you have a 3 story house (shirtwaist, e.g.), the best thing to to is to pony up for a second box on the third floor. That would guarantee fiber tv up there, and the built-in wifi would would basically act as a wireless repeater. They didn't know exactly how much the extra box would be, possibly in the $150 range.
That is great news. My house is strange in that the main level of 3 stories is also the top story. Getting a second service to the basement would be an attractive option. With the TV units also acting as repeaters, my house will absolutely be doused in wifi.
Last edited by bobbyhawks on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

kcjak wrote:I'll be interested in seeing what they can do - I live in a 3-story shirtwaist and Time Warner wouldn't install anything above the second floor (although I think it may have just been the fatty installer didn't want to climb that high).
That's part laziness and part "who else are you going to call?" I got them to put it on my 3rd floor after some cajoling. But when we renovated last winter I made sure to have the electrician to pull Cat6 through the house. I knew Google was coming and wanted to TWC-proof my house.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

bobbyhawks wrote:That is great news. My house is strange in that the main level of 3 stories is also the top story. Getting a second service to the basement would be an attractive option. With the TV units also acting as repeaters, my house will absolutely be doused in wifi.
Also, the guy told me they would be coming in wherever the cable enters the house and would run to anywhere on my first floor, provided they had clear access to the underside of the floor from the basement. FWIW, I met an installer at the Bluford event 3-4 weeks ago and the guy was really sharp and we chatted about home networking options for about 20 minutes. Definitely in a different league than the TWC lummoxes.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

flyingember wrote:Weather is going to drive how quickly things move along at this point.

There's three months of fall installation ahead if they get going ASAP. If they can do more this winter with nice weather that really will speed up the areas behind it.
The highest percentage uptakes were in Rosedale and Western KC, KS so I think they will start in those 2 places.

I can see western KC, KS being a priority because I would imagine that nearly everyone out there will be getting the $120 TV package. The sooner Google gets them installed the sooner they can start collecting that revenue.

I envision they will build-out west KC KS then work their way east from there. Simultaneously they will hook up Rosedale and then work their way West to Argentine and then Turner untill they get KC, KS south of the river completely hooked up.

I'm interested to see what kind of impact Google Fiber will have on home values in KC, KS.

As of right now an identical suburban house in the Kansas City, KS part of the Shawnee Mission area is worth may be $25,000 less than the same house in Jonson County's part of the Shawnee Mission area. Will Kansas City, KS having Google fiber level that out?????
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

So I haven't been yet to the Google Fiber Space, but from what I have read, Netflix is built into the Google Fiber set top box?

Does anybody know if the Google Fiber TV set top box also has a built in Chrome Web browser so you can surf the internet on your TV?

That would really help people bridge the digital divide. For an extra 40 dollars a month you can have internet PLUS the TV and spare the cost of buying a computer. I think pretty much everyone has a TV, so if they build in the chrome web browser then everyone who has TV will also have internet. Which would be everybody.

I have the Logitech Revue Google TV box (totally separate product from Google Fiber TV as of right now), which includes a full size wireless keyboard. It has Netflix and other apps on it and connects to the internet via Wifi. It also has the Chrome Web Browser and I use it to check my bank account, watch YouTube, and even read the news right from the couch on my 42 inch TV screen. I love it.

Vizio just recenly released a new Google TV box for $99 and a Chinese Co. named Hisense is getting ready to release one for less than that in November. As of right now you can also hook these up to your cable or satellite set top box and view TV in picture in picture while simultaneously surfing the web. I'm sure it will also work hooked up to the Google Fiber set top box.

So there you have a sub $100 dollar solution to get low income people online without the high cost of a computer.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is interesting what this Google experiment has exposed about KC...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/10/us/in ... wanted=all

Every city has its low income areas but many articles about this seem to imply KC as a whole is a low income, racially divided city. While partly true (as with many cities), there seems to be some exaggeration that seems to imply KC is above avg divided when it really isn't much different than other cities.
For generations, Kansas City has been riven by racial segregation that can still be seen, with a majority of blacks in the urban core confined to neighborhoods in the east.
No one is being 'confined'.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:Is interesting what this Google experiment has exposed about KC...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/10/us/in ... wanted=all

Every city has its low income areas but many articles about this seem to imply KC as a whole is a low income, racially divided city. While partly true (as with many cities), there seems to be some exaggeration that seems to imply KC is above avg divided when it really isn't much different than other cities.
For generations, Kansas City has been riven by racial segregation that can still be seen, with a majority of blacks in the urban core confined to neighborhoods in the east.
No one is being 'confined'.
The confined point is really wrong since the population east of Troost largely left Kansas City.