Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: KCMO to get Google Fiber too...

Post by kboish »

when the local show did a bit on the group trying to come up with ideas for how to utilize the new service they mentioned it had been delayed slightly and they were now shooting for summer 2012.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If that step in the process isn't even pegged down yet, sounds like they are way behind. The approach they are taking sounds very hodge podge, not a well planned project that has a Design signed off by all players before going to Build. Other ISPs who have built infrastructure are wondering if Google can pull this off. Verizon ended up dumping fiber rollout given how complex it is.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Seemed to me the article answered pretty much all the questions we were asking and then some. explained whats the hold up and when they're likely to figure it out.

This quote I thought was pretty interesting for the MO side of things.
In fact, discussions over precisely where Google would be allowed to place its wires on KCP&L poles drove the protracted talks that took so much longer than in Kansas City, Kan.

“We did everything we could to have a defined, streamlined process where it’s very specific about the rights and responsibilities of all the parties,” Caisley said. “Because Google stressed the need to build quickly, and we needed to stress that we wouldn’t jeopardize the service to our customers.

“The holdup for us,” he said, “was to make sure that we understood and Google understood exactly what kind of an agreement we were getting into.”
Consequently, Caisley said KCP&L had no indication that the project on the Missouri side had strayed from Google’s original schedule.
Because they knew they'd have to be very specific w/ KCMO they hammered out specific details that is helping move that project along...while on the otherside they thought they'd have carte blanche to do what they want and now are seeing otherwise.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I hope there is no obligation on Google's behalf to go live with a fiber service in KCK before KCMO, even if they encounter hurdles. If they are able to build KCMO's infrastructure first, I want Google fiber at my house ASAP. Give me the gold!

There is always the outside possibility that Google knew about these hurdles all along, used the KCK announcement to get KCP&L on board, and always intended to implement the project in KCMO first. I doubt it, but conspiracies are fun.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Interesting discussion on a broadband blog site that has a lot of people in the biz. Many are not optimistic Google can pull this off (including me)...

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Goog ... ays-117947
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Three teams win in Google-inspired Gigabit Challenge
• Grand prize went to Sein Analytics & Asset Management. Suk-Hyon Paek, Anne Clark and Samuel Belu-John believe they’ve come up with a better way for small- to medium-sized financial institutions to sort the wheat from the chaff of asset-backed securities such as default credit swaps.

One of the judges quizzed them on why their plan needed Google-speed Internet to work, and even after their victory they didn’t have much of an answer. In fact, they’ve been developing the business for two-plus years. They won $20,000 in cash, and business services that Think Big valued at $80,000.

• The contest’s “Born Global” prize was landed by Kauzu, a budding online job site aimed at younger workers that plays off location technology to make nearby opportunities more obvious. That prize brought a $250,000 convertible promissory note from Gramercy Private Equity. The firm typically invests in startup companies with an eye to secure a stake in the firms. The promissory note can be paid off in cash or a stake in the company.

• A “People’s Choice” award drawn from online voting Wednesday from people watching the pitches in 41 countries went to Paruzia Technologies. The business hopes to provide storage, backup and support services remotely using Internet connections — the faster the better.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Rumors out that Google may buy up Surewest to help expedite resolving rights issues. Surewest already has fiber to the home in KC area.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Goog ... acy-118049

Others think Google may entirely pull the plug on the KC project...

http://www.fiberevolution.com/2012/01/g ... ouble.html
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I would think that this project is too important for Google not to see it through in some manner. As a middle market testbed for future technologies on a larger scale, they would have so much opportunity to spin future product offerings off of this market. Google may abandon products, but they are interested in IPTV, IP telephony, home automation, transportation automation, new advertising channels, HQ media (music and movie) sales, and in being THE major source of information. Many of the products in these areas are theoretical until there is a market with the speed to actually benefit from them. As they are this far along, I don't think they would pull the plug considering the terrible worldwide publicity (they have announced an intent to do a similar project in Europe), that this investment can essentially make KC a laboratory and R&D center for 5+ years, and that all of the naysaying is based on conjecture and one report from the KC Star.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't think they will pull out, and I think they will resolve the line carriage issues. This project is too important to the Kansas City Metro, and I think eventually the utilities will realize this.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Don't know if this has been posted anywhere, but this sounds like a cool conference coming up next week, note this particular session:

http://www.vancouvercitiessummit.org/se ... astructure
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

pash wrote:The Star: Google may add WiFi, Bluetooth to Kansas City project
A Google application to the Federal Communications Commission to field-test new technology — wireless devices far faster than any on the market — proposes use in “real world” settings through late June.

That application, unearthed Friday by wireless engineering consultant Steve Crowley, says the technology would allow Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radio transmissions of Internet signals. The application was submitted in early January and proposed testing from late January through late June.
Here's a better write-up that speculates that Google wants to test wireless gateways using IEEE 802.11ac, a new wireless standard that will support speeds of well over 1Gbps. The standard's not finished yet, but Broadcom is already making chips that support speeds of up to about 1.3Gbps.

802.11ac also supports "beam-forming", basically a way of directing the signal towards where you want it. That might allow Google to do something like put transmitters on utility poles along with the fiber and avoid running fiber into homes and business altogether. In other words, they might be able to side-step the most expensive part of the "last mile" problem, drastically lowering installation costs compared to something like Verizon FiOS or existing commercial fiber deployments.
Then maybe make it a mesh network, deploy around the country and we can use wifi phones instead of cell phones.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

This project is HUGE for KCMO and KCKS. I am so glad they added KCMO to the project.

BTW, we have already attracted one new company...and construction is just now starting: http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/morn ... -york.html
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Midtownkid wrote:This project is HUGE for KCMO and KCKS. I am so glad they added KCMO to the project.

BTW, we have already attracted one new company...and construction is just now starting: http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/morn ... -york.html
Turnkey Internet Inc. of Albany, NY has purchased KCNet Inc. to gain a presence in the metro. The article says NORTH Kansas City based KCNet.

Guessing that is the common KCN vs NKC misnomer. Anyone know specifically?

Also, NKC has had a relatively robust broadband presence for a few years, with the investment that municipality made in developing their fiber loop. Any read on how the Google development affects (or no) NKC's offering?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCNet is in North Kansas City, off Armour Road.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Google likely will need to offer full TV service that is comparable to cable TV. While those who want ultra high speed internet will subscribe to both Google Net and cable/satellite, the typical consumer may not bother with Google if they also need to have cable/sat anyway.