Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Google picks KCK for ultra fast fiber network

Post by kcjak »

On a side note, my partner works for a business on the MO side of 39th St between State Line and SW Tfwy.  He says yesterday a Google employee was going around to businesses on 39th, inviting them to a free small business meeting sponsored by Google where local small businesses would receive training on how to best leverage the new network.  Very cool.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

ignatius wrote: Well the WSJ article is a bit misleading.  KC doesn't have 2900 tech companies, it has 2900 companies that have an IT shop or are a tech company.
As they say: Business runs on IT.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

kcjak wrote: On a side note, my partner works for a business on the MO side of 39th St between State Line and SW Tfwy.  He says yesterday a Google employee was going around to businesses on 39th, inviting them to a free small business meeting sponsored by Google where local small businesses would receive training on how to best leverage the new network.  Very cool.
Hopefully will be a boon to grow even more. Exciting!
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCJhawker
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCJhawker »

kcjak wrote: On a side note, my partner works for a business on the MO side of 39th St between State Line and SW Tfwy.  He says yesterday a Google employee was going around to businesses on 39th, inviting them to a free small business meeting sponsored by Google where local small businesses would receive training on how to best leverage the new network.  Very cool.
http://www.kansascitygetonline.com/
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

bahua wrote: As they say: Business runs on IT sales .
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: KCMO to get Google Fiber too...

Post by ignatius »

Here's the original source that WSJ was referring to..

TechAmerica Foundation : Cybercities 2010 Press

One stat that stands out, looks like KC has highest % concentration of tech workers (per cap % of total employment) in the Midwest and most major cities in the US.  Heavy duty tech cities like Austin, Seattle, San Jose, Boston, etc would of course be higher but KC has higher % than Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, MSP and other large corp cities that I would think have more IT shops. Denver was only one notch above KC.

I always thought Raleigh Durham was more of a Tech City than KC yet KC has nearly twice as many tech employees.  RD probably has more true tech companies though (as opposed to non-tech biz with an IT shop, which KC probably has more of).
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Kinda hard to sell anything these days when your phone system is down, email is down, your Blackberry is on the fritz, your ecommerce web site is down, etc. Not impossible, but certainly hard.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

cyborgs are attacking!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

well...there was a spam bot post in here earlier, but i guess it got removed.

i posted this earlier, but apparently it was also removed. Google has an "official" blog about this project with some Q&A. Nothing groundbreaking in there but worth checking out.

[url]http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com//url]
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I stopped in. Google did an incredible branding job, took over the whole space, color-coordinated down to the jelly beans, painted the walls, printed quality posters with local businesses all over the place, paid for Fresher than Fresh and The Good You for everyone. Really impressive from an event perspective. Content was geared toward small businesses without websites, so pretty introductory in some respects, but a good primer on AdWords, Places and Analytics. Lots of time for individual attention, though I didn't engage with any of those folks.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Should have posted this here a while ago, but kept forgetting. I'm helping to organize a large-scale ideation session about how Google Fiber can benefit area households. This is happening next Monday at the Central Library. We've got an impressive list of business, civic, and entrepreneurial leaders from the area coming to brainstorm on Monday, with the expected output at 500-600 ideas and 25 or so more refined concepts. Results will be "open-source" and published to the event website http://gigabitcity.smckc.com in early November. But there is a public reception at the library on Monday night where you can see an initial readout of the day's work and give your own input if you like.

There's a blurb here in The Pitch: http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/buildin ... id=2636547
RSVP at the library website: http://www.kcpl.lib.mo.us/event/buildin ... er-roadmap
Press release: http://www.pitchengine.com/thebrainzoom ... ty/173549/

Hope to see some of you there!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC prepares for Google fiber: Group braintstorms ideas
Some examples of ideas brought up in a couple of those categories include:

- homes with sensors that will be able to identify security and fire risks and notify emergency personnel instantly online
- real time personal access to healthcare professionals via the web
- virtual mentoring programs for students and virtual job shadowing
- real time transportation applications such as live stream of routes and traffic solutions
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCMax wrote:KC prepares for Google fiber: Group braintstorms ideas
Some examples of ideas brought up in a couple of those categories include:

- homes with sensors that will be able to identify security and fire risks and notify emergency personnel instantly online
- real time personal access to healthcare professionals via the web
- virtual mentoring programs for students and virtual job shadowing
- real time transportation applications such as live stream of routes and traffic solutions
Those may be good ideas but can all be done with a 10Mbps connection. They don't need fiber.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

What about something like that parking notification system they have in San Fran?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/12/busin ... wpark.html

Could we use it somehow for our mass transit systems? The traffic grid?

Or is that not a good use of fiber either? For us non-techies, I guess its hard to know what exactly the Google investment means technologically. Anyone else have good ideas?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Google brainstorming: KC Public Library could be data center for startup businesses

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/p ... -city.html
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The New Capitals of High Speed Internet
The twin cities of Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri will soon launch a high speed fiber network that is one hundred times speedier than what’s currently available. The cities see the network, which will be rolled out in early 2012, as an opportunity to boost their economies and draw in new business.

“There’s a hotbed of ideas flowing back and forth across this community. I think everyone sees it as an enabler,” says Bob Marcusse, president and CEO of the Kansas City Area Development Council, one of many groups brainstorming ways the network will change the region.

But Marcusse admits that the idea of such a fast Internet connection is mind-boggling. Leaping so many orders of magnitude is almost too futuristic for people to wrap their heads around. “It’s an interesting exercise because everybody seems to feel that it’s going to mean something very positive, but we’re still working on figuring out what that is,” Marcusse says.
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

FangKC wrote:Google brainstorming: KC Public Library could be data center for startup businesses

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/p ... -city.html
Interesting brainstorming...but damn it's already damn cheap to use Amazon's cloud as a data center.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

This service is supposed to be avail 1st qtr 2012???? .... Has anyone seen google trucks around stringing up overhead fiber cable yet ... I sure haven't.